Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Overwhelmed, Stressed, Feeling Sick - All things a planning bride-to-be should be, right?

I recently got engaged about 2 weeks ago. My fiance and I take a beach trip every year. We've been to Mexico, and last week were were in Jamaica. We are fighting the hard battle of "do we do a destination" or a have a small wedding at home? 

What is the best verbage to use for your guests you are inviting to come? "we know its a long ways, and a lot of money, but......LOL. How do you ask all those people to spend the money getting passports, suitcases, and paying to come with?

Ive heard it is better to do a symbolic ceremony if going to a non-english speaking country so there are no $$s being spent on translating documents to and from. (seems like a lot of work)

any help is much appreciated!

Re: Overwhelmed, Stressed, Feeling Sick - All things a planning bride-to-be should be, right?

• Options
    I recently got engaged about 2 weeks ago. My fiance and I take a beach trip every year. We've been to Mexico, and last week were were in Jamaica. We are fighting the hard battle of "do we do a destination" or a have a small wedding at home? 

What is the best verbage to use for your guests you are inviting to come? "we know its a long ways, and a lot of money, but......LOL. How do you ask all those people to spend the money getting passports, suitcases, and paying to come with?

Ive heard it is better to do a symbolic ceremony if going to a non-english speaking country so there are no $$s being spent on translating documents to and from. (seems like a lot of work)

any help is much appreciated!

If you are already thinking it's rude to invite people a wedding abroad, absolutely DO NOT invite them to see a symbolic ceremony. They are spending money, and lots of it, to see you get married. You are married when you officially sign the marriage certificate.

If you feel very strongly about a destination wedding, check first with your VIP guests to see how they feel about it. If anyone super important to you cannot attend, I'd rethink things. When inviting guests, just tell people you would love for them to attend, but you understand that it's hard to take time away from home. A lot of people probably won't attend, but you may be surprised!

Just keep in mind that DWs are not for everyone. It sounds nice, but it presents logistical problems for you and your guests and pushes a lot of cost onto your guests.

Another option is inviting your entire guest list to the DW, but hosting an at home reception after you return. Only invite those to your AHR who were invited to your wedding (the only exceptions are if you elope or have a very private DW.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards