Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Hawaii big island - recommendations?

We've just booked flights for our honeymoon for June! We're spending 6 days in Kauai and then 5 days on the big island. We have most of our activities and lodging figured out for Kauai, but I'm still brainstorming things to do on the big island. Anyone have any must-dos? We're active-outdoorsy types.

Activities - I want to see the volcanoes! But I haven't figured out any other specifics. I'm also interested in a Kona coffee plantation tour. Any ideas? Hiking suggestions?

Lodging - We'll probably spend some time camping, but I'm looking for lodging for 2-3 nights. Budget is less than $250/night. Where did you all stay?

Re: Hawaii big island - recommendations?

• Options
    We stayed at the Sheraton Keauhou Bay-depending on the time of year/package you might be able to stay there for under $250. There isn't a beach but I loved the hotel and it's a convenient location south of Kona.

If you are adventurous-you have to go to the Green Sand Beach and nearby, at South Point, there is a spot that people go cliff jumping. It's not recommended by the tour guides, but we did it after watching a half dozen other people do it. It was terrifying but amazing.

Makalawena beach is incredible, it's the best beach I've ever been to, it's about a 30 minute hike from Kehaha Kai state park. You'll probably be the only ones there.

Waipio Valley has some great sites and hiking, it is really hot and sticky there, so it can be a bit uncomfortable.

We did a Zodiac snorkeling tour out of Keauhou Bay which was so much fun. A fast boat, three great snorkeling sites, it was a really great half day.

I haven't done it, but you should look into a lava hike tour. They'll take you as close to flowing lava as they safely can (assuming it's flowing at that time). I wish we had time for it.
  • Options
    I'm going in 2 months; remind me to ask you everything we did and whether it was worth it ;) 

We're staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, in the renovated rooms (Molokai rooms I think they're called)

imageimage

• Options
    We are going to the Big Island, also!  I was looking into vacation rentals by owner- lots of great options that are close to Volcano National Park which has fantastic hiking.  

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/big-island/puna-district/volcano

I've always had a great experience with vrbo.  You end up spending less.  

Are you planning on renting a vehicle while staying on the big island?  If you want to get around to different places and stay at some cheaper locations, this is definitely handy.  You can take a drive through Volcano National park on a clear night and go star gazing.

We are also planning on seeing Mauna Kea and doing some hiking around there.  Trying to split the trip up (probably doing a week or so on each island) so we are going to start with the beach side, and end on the more active volcano side before heading off to Maui.  

• Options
    Thanks guys!

Yes, we will be renting a car, probably 4WD. We plan on doing lots of hiking, but probably not 5 days worth. We're considering trying to summit Mauna Loa, but I must say I'm a bit scared of altitude sickness.
  • Options
    http://www.bigislandhikes.com/

The map on that site seems like a good source for finding good hiking areas!
  • Options
    I'm going in 2 months; remind me to ask you everything we did and whether it was worth it ;) 

We're staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, in the renovated rooms (Molokai rooms I think they're called)
    Ooooh, I can't wait to hear what you think!  We keep going back and forth between a few different vacation spots this year, but the Big Island is on our list for our fall vacation and we're thinking of the Hilton as well!  We'd probably stay a couple nights in Volcano too.
  • Options
    Kilauea is awesome. When I was there the active lava flow wasn't in an area accessible to the public, but it was still cool. Just keep your expectations down on actually seeing hot, red, flowing lava. It just depends on how lucky you get when you go.

We planned on hiking but ended up spending most of our one day there driving to the very bottom of the volcano (which was a long drive but the views of the ocean, old lava flows, and cliffs were incredible). I think it was called Chain of Craters Road. There, you can walk across an old lava flow that overtook a road several years back (the Road Closed sign is even still there peeking through the lava rock. It's pretty cool) and see a sea arch. 

If you do that, make sure your car is pretty full with gas when you start. I don't think there were any gas stations within the National Park, and it's a pretty long drive (but worth it!).  I wasn't driving, but I became paranoid that we weren't going to make it back up the mountain. 

Have fun! 
    --

• Options
    Plan for at least 2 full days in Volcanoes NP. We stayed at a place we found on Air B&B so we didn't have to camp, but could get to and from the park in 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Plan for at least 2 full days in Volcanoes NP. We stayed at a place we found on Air B&B so we didn't have to camp, but could get to and from the park in 15 minutes.
    Yes this! We stayed on the hilo side for 2 days. so we saw some parts of the park from dusk until night and got to see the caldera glowing. and we went back the next day and saw everything else in the daytime. It was cool because we have a night and day picture of the volcano :) BRING A JACKET. once the sun goes down it gets pretty cold since it is a higher altitude. people warned us, but we didnt really believe it until we found out for ourselves haha. if you like burgers, i highly recommend cafe pesto in hilo. i got the pizza and DH got the pesto burger. over a year later and I STILL regret that decision. you could just tell how fresh it was! We also stayed at Uncle Billy's while on the Hilo side. There aren't many options on that side but it wasn't a bad place. They were very nice and upgraded our room since it was our honeymoon and they had a pretty good breakfast the next morning. Ignore the reviews about it being noisy due to the frogs. That is the whole side of the island and you wont be able to escape it. not uncle billy's fault lol.

Some of my other highlights were Punalu'u, the black sand beach. South Point was absolutely stunning. Snorkeling at Kahalu'u. IMO it was much better than the Place of Refuge that everyone recommends. Seemed like a lot bigger variety of fish and LOTS of sea turtles. plus i thought the entry was easier there. the kona brewery had great beer and great pizza. the manta ray night dive. and surf lessons!
  • Options
    We just started planning out our honeymoon! My fiance found a really cheap place to stay (it's a hostel but with private rooms/private bath) http://www.arnottslodge.com/ 

You can rent bikes and they do discounted summit tours of Mauna Kea for sunrise and sunset, volcano lava tours, and waterfall tours.  The discounted prices are extremely reasonable compared to ones you might find out of a resort.  When I first heard that he wanted to stay in a hostel for part of our stay on the big island I was a little freaked out but the place looks fine! 

Might be a good option if you are looking for a cheap alternative for accommodations!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards