Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Not Offering Red Wine?

Me and my fiancé are having our wedding mid-August with a very laid-back simple style and plan of having BBQ at the reception.  It is mid-week because everyone coming is either going to be on vacation already or normally works weekends, so I was planning on having only red and white wine and beer as alcohol selections.  But as I was pursuing through Pinterest today, I got an idea.  For a summer, mid-week, lunch-ish time wedding, would it be crazy if I got rid of the red wine and did white wine, a prosecco punch (prosecco, peach nectar and frozen fruits) and beer? Thought?

Re: Not Offering Red Wine?

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    1) "My fiance and I..."

2) Punch is fine.  Just know that some guests may not like something that sweet.  You don't have to have alcohol at all, so adding punch and beer is already a nice gesture.  Since this is a laid back event, just be advised that you still need to cover basic bases like insurance.  Some event insurance policies will not allow you to serve your own alcohol.  Some caterers/venues will not allow you to make your own punch and serve it in their spread.  Investigate.

ETA: Although I'd much rather have red wine than a sugary punch.

3) *Side eyes "everyone coming is either going to be on vacation already or normally works weekends."  You know your crowd, but seriously, all your friends family only work weekends?
  • We are planning on serving an un-oaked Chardonnay as the white wine. And then a light beer like Coors Light and then something that everyone usually likes (maybe Blue Moon?) as a beer selection.  I have already discussed alcohol with my venue.  As long as I buy insurance and hire a bartender, we are good to go, even for self-mixed drinks. 

Okay, 97% of my friends and family that work, work weekends. My fiancé works weekends. Half of my guests are firefighters/EMTs, so they work weekends too. His family is all coming in for the week from out of state.  My family is either coming in from out of state or retired or self-employed.  There are only a few remaining guests of the list that work during the week. 
  • Please don't only offer the punch as your replacement for red wine choice.  While it sounds great to me, It really is ditching a very popular choice.  I think red wine would be equally if not more in demand than the punch.  I think doing all 3 would be great - but don't replace red wine with something so sweet.

At last DD's wedding we had red, white, peach/raspberry sangria, and beer for the alcoholic choices.  We didn't have an overwhelming amount of red wine left over.....
  • I agree that the punch isn't really a substitute for red wine. If anything, I would substitute the white wine since it would be closer to the prosecco than red wine is. While you don't have to offer all those choices if you are trying to get a good mix to please a lot of people I would leave the red wine.
  • We had an August wedding and meant to do 3 white wine choices and 2 red wine (in addition to beer and soft drinks), but by some sort of error on the part of my husband or the liquor store, we ended up with 4 white wine and 1 red wine and we STILL ended up with a ton of leftover red. I really don't remember seeing more than a couple of people drinking it. So I don't think people would necessarily miss it. That being said, given that you're supplying your own wine, it wouldn't cost you much to just buy a few bottles of red to have on hand for the few people who would enjoy it. We didn't pay more for 5 choices of wine than we would have for 5 cases of the same wine, you know?
  • Personally, I love red wine but usually avoid it at weddings because I don't want to walk around with lovely wine stained teeth all night. That's the worst. So I wouldn't care if you didn't offer red wine. But that's just me. 
    --

• Thank you for the replies! I think I am going to do what GARION suggested.  I can't imagine many people drinking red wine mid-week, during the heat in August. But I did find a bottle I enjoyed at Costco for $8 a bottle that I think will work just fine!
  • What about a sangria in place of red wine? The ones I've had includes sliced fruit in them which would be perfect for a summer time event. And it's lighter then a red wine alone but a different option from white wine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards