Registry and Gift Forum

universal registry - myregistry.com

sdawsoncasdawsonca member
First Comment
edited October 2014 in Registry and Gift Forum
Just wanted to let everyone know that this has been a great tool for my registry. You can link to stores that have a registry and can add things to your registry for places like Pier 1 that don't offer a wedding registry. Your guests can go to one site and see everything you have registered for, they can sort by price, store, or by your favorites if you choose to put the gifts in order of importance. Just make sure to re-sync your registries if you make changes. It also made it easy to register for making a donation to a non-profit I like. I looked at several registries and if you donate through the site they take a cut of the donation. I was able to add the donation page of the charity to my registry so people who want to donate can link straight to the charity and donate to them online without any middleman taking a cut. Highly recommend. There are other thread on the knot that talk about universal registries (that's where I got the idea) but I don't see a recent one :)

Re: universal registry - myregistry.com

• I knew someone that used it once and as a guest attending the shower, I wasn't as thrilled with it.  You have to go back to mark the item as purchased (unless they have improved that in the past year), which some people may not take the time or see to do and I also didn't like that I was forced to enter the tracking info and my info on it. I was bringing the gift to the shower, I didn't want the recipient to see ahead of time what I bought them. I know you will see what is bought, but it would specifically show it was from me and I prefer it didn't  
  • I had a hard time using it as a guest too. I went to one site to buy something and it wouldn't recognize their address as valid so I couldn't get that. Then several other items at other sites were sold out and not available in store, but still showed up on the myregistry site. Several other items were priced differently on the actual purchasing site. Going back to mark it off as purchased was a weird way to do it too. We ended up giving cash...maybe that was the real goal! Haha.
  • It sounds like this might be convenient as a gift receiver, and not so much as the gift giver.

Also, a lot of etiquette-conscious people would say that registering for charity donations, or suggesting to your guests where they should donate their money, is gauche. I know that on the surface it seems harmless and even admirable - but there are several reasons why it's a bad idea.

If you feel strongly about a specific charity, you could simply not register. That would lead a lot of guests to give cash, and then you can privately make a donation.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards