Registry and Gift Forum

When do you put registry information on wedding website

So my FI and I registered already because this is a slow month for him and we know that he is about to get crazy at work and we just wanted to have one less thing to do. Our Save the Dates go out early February and we will be directing people to our website to reserve hotel rooms. Right now our registry information is on the site that only a few family and close friends have seen, should we take it off until closer to the wedding? I've already have the few that have seen the website comment on the stuff we have registered for. I feel like we are asking for gifts prematurely. Is there and etiquette for this?

Re: When do you put registry information on wedding website

• I don't think there are hard and fast rules for this. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, then you could wait until you're about 6 months out from the wedding, I can't imagine anyone would balk at that.

I think the only time I would side eye a registry being on a couples website is if it were a year or more away from the wedding. FWIW, we created our website and our registries about 7 months out. We mailed our save the dates 6 months out. I don't think the majority of your guests will notice the timeline, honestly.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• If you're uncomfortable, just wait to put it up - and if someone is throwing you a shower, just make sure you've put it up by the time invitations for that go out. But it couldn't hurt to have it up earlier, I like looking at registries pretty far in advance to keep an eye on when stuff goes on sale so I can score good deals. I don't think it means you're "asking" for gifts prematurely... I never see a registry on a wedding website and think "oh gosh they're asking for gifts"  Don't stress!  
    --

• I feel split between wanting people to buy us gifts before the showers and wedding and not wanting to look like I want people to buy us gifts, if that makes sense? FMIL mentioned that some of her friends that know they won't be invited to the wedding wanted to buy us gifts and were wondering where we were registered. It was really thoughtful and sweet of them and we would certainly appreciate it. But I feel really strange about having that information publicly available, like I am asking for gifts. I am sure I am just over thinking it. 
  • I think you are over thinking it.  It would be different if you were e-mailing people your registry info without them asking you for it, or putting your registry info on your invitations, or something else rude & tacky. But if your FMIL simply tells her friends where you're registered, there's nothing wrong with that! To me, a registry is a convenience to guests so they can get you items that they know you will like. Some people like celebrating & giving gifts. It happens. Don't fight it, just enjoy it, haha
    --

• chloe97 said:
    I feel split between wanting people to buy us gifts before the showers and wedding and not wanting to look like I want people to buy us gifts, if that makes sense? FMIL mentioned that some of her friends that know they won't be invited to the wedding wanted to buy us gifts and were wondering where we were registered. It was really thoughtful and sweet of them and we would certainly appreciate it. But I feel really strange about having that information publicly available, like I am asking for gifts. I am sure I am just over thinking it. 
    Also, anyone who knows anything about registries and computers can google your name and the words 'wedding registry' and probably find your registry whether you've posted it on your wedding website or not.  In fact, even before google, if I ever found myself in a standard Wedding Registry type store (Crate & Barrel, BB&B, Target, Macy's), I'd walk over to the kiosk and look up the names of everyone I knew who was engaged.  If I found one of my friends, I'd print out the registry and see what they liked.  Sometimes I'd buy, mostly I wouldn't.  But finding registries is pretty easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards