Wedding Woes
Options

Cord cutters

I think there are a few of us here who don't have cable and use Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, etc.

Have you heard of Sling? It's a service from one of the satellite companies that will allow people to stream channels like ESPN, TBS, etc. for $20 a month. I believe it's 20 channels and will be rolling out in a few months. Take a look here: http://www.sling.com/.

HBO has said they will offer GO subscriptions for streamers. Cost may be $15-20 a month.

I think we will probably buy an HBO subscription. Right now, my parents let me use their log in but I feel bad about that (although they don't care). The GO app has all the shows as they air, and the movie selection is pretty good.

We do have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but with these we still buy some shows. I'm on the fence about Sling. It has no local channels (which means no big channels) and unless we install an antenna on our rooftop we can't get the signal for a few local stations. I like to watch some shows like Blacklist, Hannibal, New Girl that are shown on the local channels but right now I pay. So considering, I could be paying almost $50 a month for Sling/HBO/Netflix, and still possibly buying a season of a show, it may end up that it would be cheaper to buy cable. We're on the fence about it.

Thoughts?

Re: Cord cutters

• Options
    I hadn't heard of Sling.  I'll have to check it out.  We are probably going to do the HBOGO subscription and we already have Netflix.

We are very new cord cutters.  And not even all the way.  I just got rid of our HBO subscription and downgraded our programming package yesterday.  It will save us $35/month.
  • Options
    You can exit my brain stage left, now.  

I'm reading this article (in another tab)...

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    OH!  And we have two interior HD antennas that work perfectly. There's no reason to put one on the roof.  The interior ones work just fine.  I've never had the signal interrupted.   They were both under $50 a piece. 
  • Options
    I think this is one of those crunch the numbers things, figure out actual value based on what you really watch and would die a million deaths if you didn't. This would include any discounts you get from bundle offers and the high speed internet you have to have.

I'd love to go back to antenna, but one of the reasons we got cable is that we live over one of the major flight paths to the airport. Every plane that flew over would KO the digital signal (it wasn't ever that pronounced when it was still analog :( )

I'm still hoping for a la carte/pick 5 cable channels. If they had BBCA and IFC as separate channels you could purchase on a monthly basis a la carte (iPlayer for BBC is UK only, dammit!). Big cable would be massively screwed
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We're planning on cord cutting soon.  I'm trying to figure out which streaming device to get.

We're going to subscription share with BIL/SIL.  We'll have HBO and they'll have Netflix. 
  • Options
    We have Netflix and Hulu Plus.  With those two, I've cut down on my shows buying to two this year so far: American Horror Story and Archer on Amazon Instant.  Hulu Plus has Blacklist (S/O WHY IS THIS NOT AIRING AGAIN YET MID SEASON IS OVER), Hannibal, and New Girl.  Basically if it's on a regular network station, Hulu Plus will have it.  It's when it's a cable television show that you'll get into hit and miss.

We will see about HBOGo...now that Newsroom is over, the only thing I'm really jonesing for is the new True Detective.  If it'll be a month-to-month thing, cancel at anytime, we'll probably pop in and out.  DH likes GoT, but I won't watch it and he doesn't watch TV w/out me, so there's no reason to have it for that.  They need to be cheaper too, I won't pay much higher than $10 for streaming services.

I haven't heard of Sling; really we had gotten rid of cable TV even before streaming was so awesome b/c the channels we liked were starting to suck and we rarely really watched anything.  We were looking to trim the budget, so cable went by the wayside and we never looked back.
  • Options
    MrsConn, we do have an internal antenna. The location of our house and the station's broadcast is just not right for our internal antenna to pick up. It's a pain- we get ABC and CBS okay, Fox can be hit or miss, and absolutely no NBC. We also get a ton of Spanish language and religious channels. :/

It's not a matter of being able to afford it at this point, because we can, but I like the idea of not paying for channels we would never watch. But sometimes I feel like I am little out of the loop on popular culture. :)
  • Options
    You might look into PlayOn as well.  We bought a lifetime subscription once when it was on sale, so I have no idea the month-to-month cost (if they have one, I think it was a one-time fee), but it carries some of the larger channels.  We almost never use it anymore now that Hulu and Netflix have their own apps.  I do like watching PBS on it sometimes though.
  • Options
    BOO to bad signal. 

For us it's also not a money issue, it's more that we're just not using it.  And our cable options suck where we're at.  I watch way more TV online than anything else.  My friend lets me use her Netflix and Hulu currently. 

I wish DirecTV was cheaper because we loved it, but the cost could not be justified. 
  • Options

For us it's also not a money issue, it's more that we're just not using it.  And our cable options suck where we're at.  I watch way more TV online than anything else.  My friend lets me use her Netflix and Hulu currently. 

This exactly.  It was just dumb to pay what we were paying.  All of our HBO shows are done - True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, East Bound and Down.  The Leftovers and Girls just aren't good enough to keep paying for it.  We'll eventually see the new True Detective, it doesn't have to be while it's airing.  And the movies, ugh.  They're really not worth paying $20/month.

We went down a couple packages in regular programming.  We still get a good amount of channels that we actually watch and all of our current shows.  I no longer have The Golden Girls on Hallmark, DH no longer has WGN for his Cubs games (which WGN dumped most of anyway) and Son no longer has MLB network, but we'll all survive.  None of those things were worth paying extra for.
  • Options
    Taw, I do believe you can buy an MLB package that will allow you to stream. My parents do that and they watch it through their AppleTV device; it was not something through their cable company.
  • Options
    I'll look into it.  Do you know anything about it?  Is it an app?
  • Options
    I think it is an app. I know my parents use it on their iPads when they travel. I would assume that there is an app for Android/Kindle as well.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll do some research.  Thanks!
  • Options
    I bought 2 of the inside antennas for DD and oldest GD for Christmas, I did a lot of research first.  DD lives in the city and is getting about 35-40 channels with it, older dd lives out in the boonies so GD doesn't get as many but still about 15/20, all the local channels for both of them.  I ordered them RCA Ant. 1650 flat from Amazon.  I don't know what brand DD had before but it was a cheapy and she only got about 10 channels.  I can't get H onboard with cutting off cable, I know I would miss it to. 
  • Options
    I haven't heard of sling, but will have to look into it.  I have Netflix and Hulu+.  Hulu+ you can watch most current shows (like New girl), and it is about $10 a month.  
  • Options

I'm not sure what the "magic" is.  I'm sure my DH could explain it, lol.  But I pay for high speed internet with Cox cable and their expanded basic cable package rides along with it, even though I don't pay for that.

It's not a fluke, that is how it has worked for the last three houses we lived in.  Of course, Cox would never advertise this, but it works like a charm.  With that said, my DH has said Cox has been trying to separate the feeds for awhile now, so people can't do this.  I'm not sure if it is an infrastructure issue or an FCC issue.  But it will be a sad, sad day when that little gravy train ends.

I recently priced out what it would cost monthly to get the same thing and was shocked and horrified at the price.  It was like $45/month, just for the service, oh and do you want a box with that?  $11.50/month/per.  Oh, and DVR with that?  Another $20/month.  Plus taxes.  It would be an extra almost $100/month and that is just for fairly basic stuff, no movie channels.

Crazy!  These cable companies need to get with the program and realize they are losing customers left and right to streaming if they don't stop charging insane money just for basic cable. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards