Louisiana-New Orleans

Second line parade in the Quarter when wedding is at Southern Oaks

So my fiance and I have chosen Southern Oaks as our ceremony/reception location, but we both really want to have a second line parade in the quarter! Has anyone had experience with this? We are hoping to have guests meet at a hotel in the quarter where we will have a room block (we will also be providing bus transportation to and from the venue), pass out drinks, and begin the second line to our after party. Any tips or advice would be super helpful! Thanks!

Re: Second line parade in the Quarter when wedding is at Southern Oaks

• I am not in the same position as you, but I had considered that option when I was looking at venues outside of the Quarter.  Are you saying that you will do your second line after your reception?  If so, I know that that is an option many brides opt for- FQ or not!  Heck, even when I was looking at Pat O'Brien's, they request that you perform the Second Line after your reception, and they're in the Quarter.  I personally want my Second Line to take place after my ceremony, just because I don't know how long everyone will stay throughout the night.  Disclaimer: my wedding in on Halloween and just off of Bourbon, so I know a lot of our guests are going to be wandering down there at some point throughout the night (especially the rowdy ones haha).  However, I think for your location, getting everyone together afterward at the hotel is a great idea.  We have booked Kinfolk Brass Band for our event!  I haven't actually been on a Second Line with them, but I witnessed one on Decatur about a month ago and they were AMAZING!  They also have great reviews!  Good luck!
  • I think my only concern would be once everyone gets back, how many people will want to actually second line around the quarter? 
  • I'm not expecting a majority of the people to attend. As our wedding will be so large (200+), we're hoping around 1/2 of the guests attend. Our guest list includes 95% of out of town guests, so hopefully it will be a new experience for most. We also plan on passing out drinks (either provided by our meeting location hotel, or just out of a cooler we grab from a room), which should attract some. We also plan on including some information about the history of a second line in the welcome bags that will be at the hotels. Any other ideas on attracting guests to the FQ afterwards? 
  • Thank you for the recommendation on the band edenisle! Good luck on your wedding day! We're hoping to do the second line after the reception. Also, we're having an afternoon wedding so the second line will be around 6:30pm or so. Hopefully by then people aren't ready to go home yet! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards