Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

destination wedding wording

I’m making my own invites to save money but I’m stuck on wording. I think that the ‘with your love and friendship’ part excludes the family invitees but I can’t think of what to replace it with. We are paying for the wedding ourselves and have been together for 7 years (lived together for 6) so it doesn’t seem appropriate to include ‘together with their families’. Any ideas for non traditional cute or fun wording? Thanks!

Re: destination wedding wording

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I cannot see the text of your invitation, but I can tell you what the proper wording is for a wedding that you are hosting yourself should be.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State or Country

Invitations for destination weddings are no different than invitations for local weddings.  The bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding.  Instead you use this indirect form.
    The wedding invitation is a note from the hosts (you) to the guests, telling then who, what, when and where - NOT WHY!  That is understood.  Sentimental explanations are not appropriate on the invitation.  Save declarations of affection for your ceremony and reception.  "Cute and fun wording" are out of place on the invitation.  A wedding is a serious event.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I’m making my own invites to save money but I’m stuck on wording. I think that the ‘with your love and friendship’ part excludes the family invitees but I can’t think of what to replace it with. We are paying for the wedding ourselves and have been together for 7 years (lived together for 6) so it doesn’t seem appropriate to include ‘together with their families’. Any ideas for non traditional cute or fun wording? Thanks!

Your post says wedding but your invitation says celebration.  Which is it?

• Options
    If you use "cute and fun wording" on your invitations, you run two risks:

1) People will believe, erroneously, from the tone of your invitation that you don't take your wedding seriously, and therefore, neither should they, so they may refrain from caring enough about it/you to attend, let alone RSVP to the invitation.

2) The basics of the invitation (who, what, when, where) will be buried amidst all the "cute and fun wording," leading to confusion among guests as to what they are actually invited to (the actual wedding ceremony? The reception only? An at home celebration later?), who is hosting, and when and where it is taking place.

Takeaway: There are times and places at a wedding for "cuteness and fun" but on wedding invitations, it's counterproductive.
  • Options

The last line, "You're gonna need a siesta after this fiesta"...it gave me a hard eye roll.  Please don't use "gonna" anywhere on an invitation.

• Options
    I like @CMGragain's wording. If you want, provide a link to your website and have all the cute and fun wording you want there. Actual invitations should be very clear.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    mlg78 said:

The last line, "You're gonna need a siesta after this fiesta"...it gave me a hard eye roll.  Please don't use "gonna" anywhere on an invitation.

Yes, that's not cute and fun, that's just crappy writing. It sounds like a TacoBell commercial, at best.  Hard eye roll is putting it mildly.  Your invitation doesn't need an advertising jingle, or a slogan. Just tell people what they're invited to, where, and when.

• Options

I am concerned that you only list the month and the general resort information instead of the date, time, and exact location.  Is this a STD or an invite?  If this is an invite, you need far more information.

And yes, lose the overly cutesy wording and the taco slogan, please.

I do think this invitation is very pretty and it definitely says "low-key, fun, beach wedding" to me.  No need for an additional slogan!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    It's really pretty and the color looks very beachy. I think your fonts are fun, too.
  • Options
    Viczaesar said:

Your post says wedding but your invitation says celebration.  Which is it?
    Good point!  Is this a wedding invitation?  It isn't clear!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards