Chit Chat
Options

Closing time- mind blown

http://groundedparents.com/2015/01/13/nineties-song-closing-time-isnt-about-the-end-of-a-night-out/

Anyone heard of this alternate meaning to the song? I'm a huge fan of 90s music, and this was our last song at our wedding. I always thought it was about closing time at a bar, as most people do. But the lyrics make complete sense about also being about birth. 

You learn something new everyday.

Re: Closing time- mind blown

• Options
    I love alternate meanings to songs. 

Kinda related: I used to think Song for Zula was the most beautiful love song, and then I listened to the lyrics. I would have loved to incorporate that into my wedding too. LOL oops
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    That's weird as hell.
  • Options
    I learned this yesterday. I agree I liked it better when I thought it was about a bar.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Wow. I had no idea. Weird, but pretty fucking clever.
  • Options
    Huh...that meaning kind of ruins the song for me. I agree with PPs who said they liked the song better when it was about a bar.

• Options
    Yeah no. That's way too cheesy as a baby song. 

• Options
    My husband refuses to believe this and thinks that they are joking about the alternate meaning.

• Options
    jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I saw that on FB too. I was pretty amazing, never would have put that together. I think it's cute and I like it no matter what it's about. 
    @lolo883 why is one of your BM's dresses skanky short? hahah 

• Options
    Here is another link about the meaning.

And apparently Dan Wilson has been talking about the meaning of the song for years; i''ve just heard about it today. 

kerbohl said:
    My husband refuses to believe this and thinks that they are joking about the alternate meaning.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I saw that on FB too. I was pretty amazing, never would have put that together. I think it's cute and I like it no matter what it's about. 
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    haha what?! All the others in the picture are longer and one is like cooch-level, just curious! 

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

haha what?! All the others in the picture are longer and one is like cooch-level, just curious! 

----------------

I just find slut shaming pretty gross.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    jenna8984 said:
    @jenna8984 because it reflects real life. :) It was originally this hi-lo dress:
    but apparently she took it to the world's worst tailor. She said she wanted the hips brought in a bit (she's really skinny), but the tailor said if he narrowed the skirt, the side seams wouldn't align anymore, and apparently homeboy didn't know how to recut and hem at an angle, so he chopped the whole skirt off. Whether that's true or she just wanted it to look like that (because come on, he still didn't need to cut 8" off the skirt) will forever be a mystery. There wasn't anything I could do about it at the time so I just gritted my teeth and smiled.

• Options
    Ohh that really sucks that the tailor didn't do what she wanted! It doesn't look bad on your friend at all. 

It's not slut shaming. You know how we (TK) always argue about wording- you are an asshole vs. if you don't have chairs you will be acting like an asshole. I view it the same way- you are a skank is not the same as that dress looks skanky. Besides, I was talking about a cartoon not a person so it really doesn't matter. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Ohh that really sucks that the tailor didn't do what she wanted! It doesn't look bad on your friend at all. 

It's not slut shaming. You know how we (TK) always argue about wording- you are an asshole vs. if you don't have chairs you will be acting like an asshole. I view it the same way- you are a skank is not the same as that dress looks skanky. Besides, I was talking about a cartoon not a person so it really doesn't matter. 
    No, it super is.Calling a dress "skanky short" implies that a woman who wears a dress that length is "skanky". I am taking issue with the phrase itself, so it doesn't really matter that it wasn't directed at a particular person.
  • Options

jenna8984 said:

@jenna8984 because it reflects real life. :) It was originally this hi-lo dress:
    but apparently she took it to the world's worst tailor. She said she wanted the hips brought in a bit (she's really skinny), but the tailor said if he narrowed the skirt, the side seams wouldn't align anymore, and apparently homeboy didn't know how to recut and hem at an angle, so he chopped the whole skirt off. Whether that's true or she just wanted it to look like that (because come on, he still didn't need to cut 8" off the skirt) will forever be a mystery. There wasn't anything I could do about it at the time so I just gritted my teeth and smiled.

---------------------------------

Wow, that does sound like an awful tailor! The dress looks fine, though. At least he didn't completely destroy it.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:

--------------------------------- Wow, that does sound like an awful tailor! The dress looks fine, though. At least he didn't completely destroy it.
    Yeah... she was happy with it, and had the body to pull it off... but I totally should have kicked her out of the wedding. ;-)

• Options
    I've always thought it was about birth. I like it better knowing that than it being about a bar . guess I'm the odd one out
  • Options
    Yeah I like the bar version better. V hates that song no matter what though haha
  • Options
    I missed the Make a Disney Princess thread because by the time I logged on it was on page 400 something and I just decided not to try. So here all this time I thought the girls in your siggy pic were us, @lolo883 not your "real friends". BOO.
  • Options
    lc07 said:

I missed the Make a Disney Princess thread because by the time I logged on it was on page 400 something and I just decided not to try. So here all this time I thought the girls in your siggy pic were us, @lolo883 not your "real friends". BOO.

_ _ _ _ _

Get your ass in there and make a princess NOW. I want all the knotties to have their own. :smiley:

Also...I feel like the song meaning is old news? I think it was on a cracked or buzzfeed article of songs with secret meanings a few years ago. Let's see if I can find it and we can analyze all the songs!

One I do remember is that "Summer of 69" is not talking about the year...

• Options
    _ _ _ _ _ Get your ass in there and make a princess NOW. I want all the knotties to have their own. :smiley: Also...I feel like the song meaning is old news? I think it was on a cracked or buzzfeed article of songs with secret meanings a few years ago. Let's see if I can find it and we can analyze all the songs! One I do remember is that "Summer of 69" is not talking about the year...
    What gave that away? 

• Options
    lc07 said:

Lol! Now I need to make a new one!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards