Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Where do people stand on Etsy dresses from China?

Re: Where do people stand on Etsy dresses from China?

• Options

• Options
    Remember that you get what you pay for.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I wouldn't risk it.. I have heard of horror stories of sizing being WAY WAY off. 
  • Options
    The only person I've heard anything good about is a tailor named Jennifer Wu on ebay.

But still.  Just buy the real thing here.  You can touch it, feel it, try it on, and return it if they ship something different from what you've paid for.
  • Options
    Everybody should stand on the side of "You get what you pay for." They're not designer dresses, they're imitations of designer dresses. And most frequently, VERY poorly made.

• Options
    have a friend who bought a custom dress on Esty and it was great. But ordering a dress from another "company" would agree with everyone else...You get what you pay for
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Like everyone else notes, you'll get what you pay for which will likely be lower quality dress with quick and dirty construction and sizing may be off.  But it depends on the dress too.  Is the dress you're after a very simple dress in a more forgiving shape/ fabric? Would you be willing to spend some real dough on corrections and alterations?   If you could get the dress you really wanted for a quarter of what it costs in the bridal stores here and then have to pay twice that to have it "fixed" ... well, you are still getting a discount but it may not be worth the stress.   Had some friends decide this was the route to go for bride's maid dresses.  They ordered 7 different dresses from the same seller out of China in different styles but in the same color.  Not one dress even came close to fitting, half were far too small and so couldn't be altered to fit.  Three dresses were a slightly different material and very different color and all were not really like they were pictured.  In all only 1 dress was actually able to be altered to fit and was in the right color. 

This doesn't mean that you should avoid Etsy though!  There are many legit dress makers on Etsy, a cousin of mine found her dream dress from a designer located in Oregon.  It wasn't "cheap" but it was far less expensive than a name-brand boutique gown.  Find someone that's had a lot of sales with extremely positive reviews and who is willing to send you samples of fabrics.  Read those reviews and see if they sound legitimate too (or do they sound canned like bogus accounts boosted their star rating).   And then contact the seller.  They should be asking you very specific questions on sizing if it's a made-to-order dress, offer to send you samples of fabrics, and be able to provide you a very clear delivery time frame.
  • Options
    We got our flowers girl dress from an etsy designer from China and it turned out amazing! The sizing is spot on (a little big for growth) and the quality is great!! I would just read the reviews before ordering :smiley:
  • Options
    augbride87 said: We got our flowers girl dress from an etsy designer from China and it turned out amazing! The sizing is spot on (a little big for growth) and the quality is great!! I would just read the reviews before ordering :smiley:
    Thanks! I know sometimes they'regood, sometimes they're bad.  I don't want a typical wedding dress, it's actually this, but in white - image

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Etsy has been invaded by overseas knock off sights. It's a complete gamble. The reviews are meaningless, because reviews can be faked. As soon as bad reviews appear, they change the name of the seller and start a new page. 
    Don't risk it. 
  • Options
    My friend got married last year in Hawaii and had her dress made on Etsy. She was given her measurements from David Bridal. The dress fit her beautifully and looked identical to the Vera Wang that she fell in love with.
  • Options
    As Mommadawn3 said, there are some legit designers on etsy. For example, the designer of my dress, Leanne Marshall, has an online store on etsy. In some ways it's great because you can check reviews--but I would definitely cross reference the reviews (they might have reviews on yelp or the BBB) and just google in general to see how legit they are. I definitely wouldn't buy a cheap dress on etsy or one from China. 
  • Options
    Hey I just went to http://www.loehmanns.com and they now sell " WEDDING DRESSES". For $300-$500 & they are really cute. Only thing no return on wedding dresses. I've already found my dress at a near by shop but I am waiting to purchase it because I want on sale but if the price doesn't drop I think I will purchase 1 from loehmanns because they are super cute.
  • Options
    That dress looks like a relatively simple design. You might be better off to work with a local seamstress, either to make it from scratch or to start with a similar dress and alter it to look like that one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:
    That dress looks like a relatively simple design. You might be better off to work with a local seamstress, either to make it from scratch or to start with a similar dress and alter it to look like that one.

After all the negatives, it's something I'm considering.  I don't just want it for our wedding - I want something I can wear for special occasions or on special date nights or whatever.  It might be worth me spending a bit more for that.  

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards