Plus-Sized

Utah not so plus size friendly :(

I am not having any luck with any dresses here in Salt Lake City
I have tried david's bridal and they only have dresses that are tube top style which I hate because I don't like my arms showing,
I have found one dress that is okay at Bridal Expressions that has been okay but they only have 2 dresses that have 3/4 sleeves which is what I want.
I am feeling discouraged and I know this is supposed to be a fun experience. I have tried all of the cover ups that they have and they all seem to just not work with the dress. Do you guys have any suggestions on maybe local places or maybe websites that I can try looking at?
Thank you :)

Re: Utah not so plus size friendly :(

• Keep in mind, you can always add a sleeve to a dress, so don't be afraid to look at a dress with a cap sleeve, strap (large or small), or even a strapless gown. 

Another thing to keep in mind, I do not like my arms.  When I tried to 'hide' them or get a sleeve, it didn't feel/look right on me; I looked and felt uncomfortable and restricted and it was also pretty obvious I was trying to 'hide' my arms and it drew more attention there instead of distracting.

Anniversary
  • I was so reluctant about having a strapless dress for my wedding, but I absolutely fell in love with my dress the moment I put it on. Finding a plus size dress is already hard enough as it is. Try this. Go into David's Bridal again but this time let your guard down completely. The associates there are truly there to help. Tell them you don't have any specific style dresses you like, but you want to try a little bit of everything. Then they will find your size and pull all the dresses in different styles that they have. Then you can atleast try them on and see if you like the style and the color or fit, THEN possibly add sleeves. I think that white or lace cardigans are gorgeous on dresses also. But that's just my opinion. Stay strong during this! Give yourself time to love yourself in a dress! A wedding dress should be the biggest YES during the process.. You have to get excited about it! It should make you cry... or almost cry :)

Happy dress shopping and good luck :)

• http://bridalcurves.com/products/category/plus-size-wedding-dresses they are located in salt lake city 
    178 South Rio Grande Street, Suite 150 salt lake city utah located at the gateway mall
    http://www.fairygodmothersbridal.com/ 4014 south highland drive salt lake city utah 

boulevard bridal and prom 8 w st george blvd. (blvd west mall) st george utah 

i am not from utah but did a quick google search 

bonny has a lot of dresses with half sleeves bonnybridal.com they have a plus size line unforgettable check them out 

• edited December 2014
    ***UPDATE: I received my dress form jjshouse.com and it is BEAUTIFUL!

Try http://www.inweddingdress.com

I'm a plus sized bride-to-be and I ended up ordering my dress from an online site that will do custom dresses based on your measurements (you can also buy standard sizes).

I'm on a tight tight teeny tiny budget so I gambled and used www.jjshouse.com and www.specialtomarry.com.  They are all based in China and are considered risky but www.inweddingdress.com is definitely a safer bet  (however i found out about it too late). 

I ordered 2 wedding dresses because I'm afraid that I might look stupid in "the dress" so I needed a back up.  The dresses have yet to arrive, but I'm hopeful that they will look like the photo.  BUT, my main tip for you is to look at "mother of the bride" dresses.  MOB dresses tend to have sleeves and empire waists - which I like.  Yes, some of them are frumpy, but A LOT of them are really pretty and if you use the custom sites, you can have your dress made in any color.  I've attached "the dress" so you can see what I mean.  It's an MOB dress. I ordered it in White.
  • If you can travel to Phoenix there is a salon specializing in plus size brides here. They have had several LDS brides so probably have a style that would work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ***UPDATE: I received my dress form jjshouse.com and it is BEAUTIFUL!

Try http://www.inweddingdress.com

I'm a plus sized bride-to-be and I ended up ordering my dress from an online site that will do custom dresses based on your measurements (you can also buy standard sizes).

I'm on a tight tight teeny tiny budget so I gambled and used www.jjshouse.com and www.specialtomarry.com.  They are all based in China and are considered risky but www.inweddingdress.com is definitely a safer bet  (however i found out about it too late). 

I ordered 2 wedding dresses because I'm afraid that I might look stupid in "the dress" so I needed a back up.  The dresses have yet to arrive, but I'm hopeful that they will look like the photo.  BUT, my main tip for you is to look at "mother of the bride" dresses.  MOB dresses tend to have sleeves and empire waists - which I like.  Yes, some of them are frumpy, but A LOT of them are really pretty and if you use the custom sites, you can have your dress made in any color.  I've attached "the dress" so you can see what I mean.  It's an MOB dress. I ordered it in White.
    We never recommend ordering from sites from China.  They are usually knockoffs, poor quality and often don't fit right.  Even legitimate sites we recommend the bride try on the dress first before ordering it online.  

I'm glad you had a good experience, but I've seen too many horror stories on here and for most, it's a regret.
  • op on the jjhouse dress did not get her dresses in yet she spoke to soon i hope for her sake they come out decent but i dont think that will happen 
  • I had great luck at Alfred Angelo! Even had a sample that fit me. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards