Moms and Maids

Color for Mother of the Bride/ Groom dresses

Hello All,
    I am having an October Wedding and my colors are periwinkle blue and dark brown. I am not sure what colors to suggest to my future mother in law or my mom. I want something that will look great in pictures and champagne has been suggested but my dress is a light gold Sottero and Midgley and I worry they will be too similar in color. Also should they wear similar colors?

Here are links to my bridesmaid dresses and mens tuxes  

Re: Color for Mother of the Bride/ Groom dresses

• The Mothers can wear whatever the want.  They are guests, not a part of the wedding party.

• I think it is up to the moms to decide what color dress they want to wear. Just tell them your wedding colors and they'll either pick within them or pick something else. Either way they're likely to pick something which flatters them.

My colors are navy and gold. My stepmom and my FI's mom decided to get navy dresses and my mom is wearing a champagne dress she's owned for years (it's close to gold). I gave my mom the thumbs up on her champagne dress (I'd seen it before) before I bought my dress which just happens to be a light champagne color. I freaked out for a minute about the similarity in color but then realized no one would care. I have a gorgeous wedding dress and I'll look amazing, my mom will look amazing in her favorite dress, and I doubt anyone will be whispering "Are their dresses both shades of champagne?" haha
  • I was simply asking for suggestions of colors that complimented my wedding colors. My mom and future mother in law both have asked for my opinion and want to wear a dress that will compliment the colors of the wedding. I simply want to be able to give them advice based on what others chosen and not to be put down for asking a question
        I posted this for advice and not to be put down when simply asking what colors would compliment blues and browns. There is no reason to be rude ,and put another bride down for simply asking questions about complimentary colors
  • I was simply asking for suggestions of colors that complimented my wedding colors. My mom and future mother in law both have asked for my opinion and want to wear a dress that will compliment the colors of the wedding. I simply want to be able to give them advice based on what others chosen and not to be put down for asking a question
        I posted this for advice and not to be put down when simply asking what colors would compliment blues and browns. There is no reason to be rude ,and put another bride down for simply asking questions about complimentary colors
    Can you please quote where people were rude to you or put you down?
    The answer to what you tell your mother and your fiance's mother is, "please wear whatever makes you feel beautiful.  The color doesn't matter."
  • adk19 said:
    I was simply asking for suggestions of colors that complimented my wedding colors. My mom and future mother in law both have asked for my opinion and want to wear a dress that will compliment the colors of the wedding. I simply want to be able to give them advice based on what others chosen and not to be put down for asking a question
    Can you please quote where people were rude to you or put you down?
    The answer to what you tell your mother and your fiance's mother is, "please wear whatever makes you feel beautiful.  The color doesn't matter."
    All of this.

• They should choose what flatters their coloring and figures.

I think it is often best NOT to have clothes chosen to match wedding colors used for lots of decorations.

In candid pictures, when mothers or bridesmaids are photographed at or near tables with tablecloths in a dress matching color, or same color centerpieces and flowers, it seems the squared off table edge behind someone's hip is a growth sprouting from their dress, and look as bizarre as amateur pictures where a hanging plant or flowers on a mantelpiece seem to grow out of someone's head.
  • Hello All,
        I am having an October Wedding and my colors are periwinkle blue and dark brown. I am not sure what colors to suggest to my future mother in law or my mom. I want something that will look great in pictures and champagne has been suggested but my dress is a light gold Sottero and Midgley and I worry they will be too similar in color. Also should they wear similar colors?

Here are links to my bridesmaid dresses and mens tuxes  

They can wear whatever they want. My MIL asked me a million times to tell her what to wear and I just kept saying "wear whatever you want, I'm sure you'll look great!" Wash and repeat as necessary. I let her know what I was wearing and what the BMs were wearing to help her determine formality.

My mom ended up wearing a purplish/dark blue formal dress with a pleated chiffon bodice that had a rhinestone broach and satin skirt - pretty formal. My MIL wore a cotton, yellow dress with a collar with yellow shoes. Our colors were navy, ivory and kermit green. No one looked out of place at all.
    *********************************************************************************

• If there are put-downs in this thread, clearly it's time to update my out-of-date dictionary. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • OP- my mom and fmil have asked the same! They very much want to compliment the bridesmaids dresses, without matching, so I've given them both a swatch of the bridesmaids dress. I swear, every other day they ask what color I want them to wear, and while I've told them "whatever maks you feel pretty" i think they REALLY want my input! So, mom and I are picking hers first, the FMIL is going to go shopping with my mom (i'm very lucky- they get along great!) to pick out hers! Blush, peach, lilac, or sage might be some complimentary colors if they REALLY want some help finding a direction! I hope that helps!
  • The moms in my wedding also needed some reassurance that I really didn't care what colour they wore. Our colours were royal purple and silver. MOB wore red (her favourite colour) and MOG wore blue (her favourite colour). Both moms were happy and comfortable in their dresses.

If they are really looking for direction, try asking them what colour they typically gravitate towards, or what their favourite colour is. Just try to reassure them that they will look beautiful in whatever they choose and that you just want them to buy a dress they are happy with.
  • For my upcoming wedding, both mothers ended up coming to me for ideas. Our colours are basically black and white with red accents {I am getting Christian Louboutin shoes and basing my wedding around this lol}

My fiance's birthstone is Ruby, so his mum asked me if she could do more red. Funny enough, she'll end up matching him more.
    My mum and I went shopping for her dress. Hers is grey but there are lots of similarities to my dress without it being matchy-matchy.

They both love their dresses, and feel great in them. Our case just turned out perfectly!
    Side note: both mothers are walking down the aisle, so they wanted something a little nicer and closer to wedding party without being same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards