Moms and Maids
Options

Is this normal or is this bride crazy?

Hi, I joined to ask about how my friend is treating her bridesmaids. She got engaged a year ago and is getting married in May. It's been nothing but drama ever since the engagement. Seriously just whining about everything and even though I've repeatedly asked nicely to talk something other than the wedding, nothing works. Every time we meet up it's so she can complain about something. It's annoying, but I've tried to grin and bear it as I know some people get like that. I'm getting to the end of my rope, though. I told her early on that I couldn't afford a very expensive bridesmaid dress as we are saving for our own wedding. She said she understood, and then went and picked a $450 dress. She guilt tripped me into buying it. My fault on that, I know, I should have stood my ground. Then, she guilt tripped me because I told her I couldn't throw her a shower since I'd spent so much for the dress. 
She just freaked out again because she had a shower in Miami on Sunday. That's 4 and a half hours away from my house. She told me I was being a horrible bridesmaid because I only stayed for an hour - I had to work the next day! I gave her a very nice gift and she's still mad. I asked another friend who is uninvolved with the wedding, and she said she wouldn't have attended a shower that far away, let alone on Sunday. She told all the other bridesmaids I was being awful. Now she's mad at me again because I'm only attending one day of her bachelorette party which is also in Miami. Again, that's 4 and a half hours away and I'm only coming to one day because I have to work. Is this normal or am I the crazy one? She keeps telling me I'm embarrassing her by not staying at these parties. I think she's acting nuts but the guilt trips are making me feel bad (and angry!) I have my own life and own things to plan...

Re: Is this normal or is this bride crazy?

• Options
    You are most certainly not the crazy one- she is being very inconsiderate of you, your budget, and your time. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, that helps. She's been incredibly controlling throughout this process and I feel like she's taking the "maid" part of bridesmaid a bit too literally. Honestly, I wish I could just step down. 
  • Options
    AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the reply, that helps. She's been incredibly controlling throughout this process and I feel like she's taking the "maid" part of bridesmaid a bit too literally. Honestly, I wish I could just step down. 
    To the bolded, why can't you step down? It's not an easy decision, but trust me, you will feel so much better if she is guilt tripping you like this. You can sell the dress to try to recover some of that loss. 

I just stepped down as a bridesmaid about two weeks ago who was acting very similar to your bride, and at first I felt bad about it, but I also felt like a huge weight was lifted and was actually happier. 

ETA: also, you are not crazy. She is treating her so called friends poorly and you shouldn't feel guilty at all for calling her out on her bad behavior. 

• Options
    She is crazy and treating you like crap.  You aren't there to be her bridal slave.  $450 for a dress is ridiculous, and everything else is just selfish and bratty of her to do.  You have a life and other commitments beyond her wedding.  

If you are really uncomfortable, you can definitely step down.  Can you still return the dress?  

FWIW, I was in a wedding in the fall I wish I had stepped down from.  I had some really bad things happen last year, and miraculously that was still somehow the event that stressed me out the most.  

• Options
    $450 for a BRIDESMAID dress? WTH? I would never expect my girls to ever pay that much...ever.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    So...I was fortunate enough to be able to spoil my daughter and her MOH a bit for my daughter's wedding. My daughter is a gracious young woman with ZERO expectations.  However, when it was her MOH's turn to get married, those parents were not in "spoil my daughter mode" so shoved the expectations off on my daughter and the other BMs.  My daughter took it because she is not one for confrontation, but all of those friendships are now done.  Sounds like that is how yours well end up.
  • Options
    Sorry she is being so rude.  To bad you didn't know this to begin with and you could have not accepted being a bridesmaid.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there's no way I can return the dress at this point. I'd love to say something to her, but I'm not sure how to even put it without coming across as a total bitch myself; I've tried a few times but it fell on deaf ears so I'm worried I'd be way too blunt this time. I'm beyond frustrated at this point! I do want to drop out, but I also know I'd feel bad. If this is how she's going to act though, I don't see our friendship lasting very long :(
  • Options

Let her throw you out, if that is what she wants. Then she is the one who looks like the bitch she is.

In the meantime, just do the things you want to do for the wedding and the pre-parties, and show up for the wedding in your dress.

If afterward you aren't friends anymore, that is the way it goes.

• Options
    Yeah, she's bridezilla.  I'd just show up for those things you can show up for, pay for what you can pay for without breaking your budget, wear that dress to her wedding (and sell it immediately afterwards ;)), and if she stops being friends with you, well, you don't deserve a bitch like that in your life.
  • Options
    You are in step with the world, she is being real narcissistic, and nasty about not getting her way.
  • Options
    You are NOT the crazy one. This "friend" is not only a bridezilla, but she doesn't sound like much of a friend. I would step down from the wedding party, return the dress, and spend the $450 on something fun for you and your Fi!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Even if you can't return the dress, you might be able to sell it on ebay and get at least SOME of your money back. 

Weddings are supposed to be fun.  If it's not fun, I'd get out now.  I left a job because it was stressful, there's no way in hell I'd stay in a friendship that was stressful.
  • Options
    agreed! Step down if you wish...just know it could ruin the friendship...but it doesn't seem like shes much of a friend right now anyways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards