Destination Weddings Discussions

Hawaii DW Help

Long story short, my fiance and I decided to have a DW on Oahu.  It will be quite intimate (12 people in total), since we are pretty introverted people who have small families.  Because of that, one of those people going will officiate the ceremony. 

These are my questions:
1. Does anyone know anything about residents of Michigan becoming an officiate for a ceremony in Hawaii?  If they are officiated in Michigan, does it "count" in Hawaii? 
2. Are there places to have literally just a ceremony?  I know a lot of resorts offer packages, but we don't need the reception portion of it.  Are they often flexible when it comes to that?
3. I'm also browsing for a photographer.  Any recommendations?

It's somewhat early in the planning/finalization of this idea, so answers to these questions are going to inform how I continue from where I am currently.  I appreciate the help and knowledge of anyone who may have done this or who happens to live there.

Re: Hawaii DW Help

• 1. I can't help with the officiant.  We used someone local, so I assume there is some rule, but keep looking into it.  

2.  I think our venue does a ceremony only (Outrigger Reef on the Beach).  We were able to customize our package (both ceremony and reception), so I'm sure you could do something there.  They also did vow renewals, which makes me believe they could/would do ceremony only.  I hope you're still planning a reception elsewhere??  A restaurant perhaps with your small guest list.  

3. Can't help, sorry.  We brought ours with us.  If you do have any questions though, feel free to ask

• Thank you for the venue name.  In order to have your ceremony and reception there, did you have to stay in the hotel?
  • Nope.  We stayed at the hotel next door cos it was cheaper.  Our guests stayed all over Waikiki.  They treated us like any other wedding/reception in a hotel cos it's not a resort.  We rented the space for a set time and paid for the wedding package offered.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards