Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Mismatched Bridesmaids

I have six bridesmaids and they all vary in skin tone and size. I figured that in letting them choose their own knee-length dresses within a warm-neutral color palette, I'd save anyone from feeling uncomfortable in a dress that she doesn't like. While our wedding won't be formal by any means, my fear is that this bridesmaid style will look too casual. All of our groomsmen will be wearing navy suits, so I would prefer that my girls look relatively uniform while also getting their say in what they wear. Just for reference, I've attached a possible color palette that I'd give the girls to work with. Did any of you do this successfully at your wedding? I'd love to see pictures!

Re: Mismatched Bridesmaids

• Options
    My bridesmaids wore different shades of blue, knee-length. They looked lovely and none of them looked too casual next to the groomsmen in dark suits.

I don't have pictures I can post, but you can google 'mismatched bridesmaids' and see tons of examples.
  • Options
    That sounds lovely, @artbyallie! I was going to do blue at first, but we decided we wanted to switch it up and have the groomsmen wear blue. I have Googled mismatched bridesmaids and seen lots of lovely examples, I just wanted to see if anyone on here had any good advice, particularly for the palette I hope to use. :) Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    This is definitely the way to go, rather than trying to squeeze all your maids into one dress that may or may not be flattering on them. It's very budget-friendly to them as well, so kudos to you for being laid-back about it! 

I think that color palette is really nice. If you're worried about keeping them more uniform, I'd cut the relic bronze and overjoy colors out. 

ETA: For more uniformity, you could also specify a material preference, like telling them all to get either lace or chiffon or something like that. 
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004O76OKU/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l
    I like the palette but if any of your women have complexions that do not look good with yellowish undertones in your palette, maybe add something in the family of this pantone peach nougat, maybe lighter , but with a golden peachy pink tone.
    I can see if you do not want colors all over the spectrum but peachy colors pop nicely with navy as do the golden and clear greys in your palette and can look very nice together.
  • Options
    Not in your colors, but my bridesmaids wore shades of purple/ navy and it looked great. Pic attached, not sure if it helps since it's not your palette.
  • Options
    Not in your colors, but my bridesmaids wore shades of purple/ navy and it looked great. Pic attached, not sure if it helps since it's not your palette.
    I LOVE those colors.

I really like the "palette" look, so I'm glad mismatched BMs are becoming more common.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your wonderful input, ladies! I told my girls yesterday about this plan and they're all very excited! (Two of them even already went shopping!) We've decided to do chiffon, knee-length dresses (except for my MOH/sister, who will be wearing a floor-length dress) within the more grey/tan colors in the palette. I think this plan will also make shopping way less of a headache because I have 6 girls from 5 different states, so we won't need to all come together to make a decision. I'm also really happy that each one of them will be able to find a dress within her own budget. :) Thanks for the example, @majesty318‌! You and your bridesmaids all look lovely!
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004O76OKU/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l I like the palette but if any of your women have complexions that do not look good with yellowish undertones in your palette, maybe add something in the family of this pantone peach nougat, maybe lighter , but with a golden peachy pink tone. I can see if you do not want colors all over the spectrum but peachy colors pop nicely with navy as do the golden and clear greys in your palette and can look very nice together.
    This.  I would look absolutely dreadful in any of those colors.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    @whatawagsbny @viczaesar Yeah, I realize that people still might not be comfortable with the palette I've chosen, but I told them that if they have any trouble, that they can feel free to let me know. Right off the bat, all my girls pretty much said they'd wear neon green jumpsuits if I asked them to (I wouldn't! lol), but I decided I wanted to give them more choice over what they were wearing anyway. I'm not going to have a hissy fit if they can't find a dress they like within this palette! Just wanted to give them an ideal palette so they'd have something to work with. Thanks for your input!
  • Options

I haven't had my wedding yet, but this is sort-of what we're planning to do.

I told them a color (light-blue/baby-blue) and told them to find a dress they can afford that they love.  One of them is even MAKING her dress!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'd nix the "creamy."  Too close to white.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Viczaesar - she added in above about cutting back the yellows to try the grey and tan, whic

@whatawagsbny @viczaesar Yeah, I realize that people still might not be comfortable with the palette I've chosen, but I told them that if they have any trouble, that they can feel free to let me know. Right off the bat, all my girls pretty much said they'd wear neon green jumpsuits if I asked them to (I wouldn't! lol), but I decided I wanted to give them more choice over what they were wearing anyway. I'm not going to have a hissy fit if they can't find a dress they like within this palette! Just wanted to give them an ideal palette so they'd have something to work with. Thanks for your input!

I like the greys and tans you chose and are going with. Someone could still go a soft gold without the yellow - green tones, or peachy too, with the greys and blues . Few women can do the yellow - green undertones under fluorescent lighting.

Being somewhat flexible and open to your ladies ideas is the most critical part. They will be friends long after the dresses are gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards