Attire & Accessories Forum

Please help me decide on a dress (pics)

Hello all, I'm new here, became engaged in September and our wedding is in October of this year. A little background on the dress experience so far, I am 5'2", curvy and have a size 36G bust. We are getting married on the beach in Texas, it shouldn't be too hot in October. I have been to two places so far, David's and Alfred Angelo store. Both appointments lasted for 2 hours and I tried on so many dresses. Luckily I had people with me taking pictures so I have gone through the pictures and narrowed down a couple options. I first thought that a drop waist would work best, I have a large bust, large hips and a small waist so it is hard to fit and any dress I get will need to be altered for the waist. I liked some of the more blingy bigger dresses but then reality set in that we will be at the beach and I may not necessarily need or want to be carrying around a huge dress. Anyway, I have another appointment at a smaller boutique this Friday, although I already have good options. I will post the two dresses that I am torn between currently and am asking for honest opinions on them.

The first one is from David's and it needs to be taken in at the waist

The other two are from Alfred Angelo. This one was several sizes too big so it was hard to picture how it would work with my bust since it was so big but it is a corset back.

And this one is just different than the other two.

I do have another place to go to on Friday as well. I really want to get one ordered soon since I know it will need alterations as well and I have about 9 months left.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks! Kelley

Re: Please help me decide on a dress (pics)

• I think the first picture looks great on your figure.
  • I think the neckline of the first dress is the best for bust.  If you go with too much of a sweetheart neckline like in the last two dresses there is just a lot of boob going on, you know?

I also really like the shape of the first and second dress on you.  I am not a fan of third dress because of where it hits you around the thighs.

I think if the neckline of the second dress was more like the first dress then it would be perfect.

• Thank you, yeah I know what you mean. In all of the sweet heart strapless that I tried on, I kept pulling them up, granted they were usually a couple sizes too big and clipped in the back. All of the consultants kept telling me how once it is altered it won't move whatsoever but I'm not really buying that. And I definitely don't want people to look at me or my pictures and just immediately think "boobs"! Lol.
  • Thank you, yeah I know what you mean. In all of the sweet heart strapless that I tried on, I kept pulling them up, granted they were usually a couple sizes too big and clipped in the back. All of the consultants kept telling me how once it is altered it won't move whatsoever but I'm not really buying that. And I definitely don't want people to look at me or my pictures and just immediately think "boobs"! Lol.
    Actually they are right.  If altered correctly then it shouldn't move at all.

If you do find a dress that you love but has a lower neckline talk to the seamstress on site (not the consultant) about possibly building up the bust area.  This will cost a bit more then just basic alterations but is sometimes doable depending on the dress.

• They all look nice but I'm thinking based on the venue of the ceremony that the first one would be my pick because not so muc fabric to deal with while walking on the sand. Also it seems a little more flowy while still figure flattering, but because it doesn't seem as snug around the legs as the first one, I'm thinking it might be more comfortable in the warmer weather too.
  • I like #1. The cut is flattering on you and it's not as...boob-y. With a large chest, strapless may be difficult to pull off and feel comfortable - like you're not pulling your dress up constantly.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think the first one is the best by far. You look amazing in it.
  • Love the shape you have in #2, however the coverage on #1 is better.  I tried on a sweetheart  at Alfred Angelo's that showed way too much cleavage (36dd) she whipped out a privacy panel that could be sewed in.  Not sure if that may be an option for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That first one is fantastic - I tried it on and the fabric is dreamy and comfortable, plus it's really flattering on you!  I think it would be great for your beach wedding. 

• xx802xxxx802xx member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015

I don't think in the store I would look at #2 and like it myself, but it looks great on you! I wasn't crazy for the dress I picked when it was hanging on the hanger but after I was in it, loved everything about it.

• I think the first one is the most flattering.
  • #2 and #3 show off your curves and are really beautiful.  I am not a fan of the first dress.
  • Number 2 is my favorite on you. I find that it is the most flattering to your curves.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I like #1 the best. Beautiful neckline, flattering, and the shoulder strap is unique

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love #2. 
  • I love #2 as well.
  • 1 is terrific for your figure. Very flattering proportions, trim in the right places, neither of which is common at your height, I would put that on your possible keepers list. Many people cannot carry off an asymmetrical cut like this with one strap and trim running to one side, but this works for you, keeps the eye from the horizontal line that makes some larger bust look like a serving platter of boobs.

The only thing, one strap gowns always always hang lopsided on large busted women after a couple of hours, unless they have a second strap. To keep that asymmetric design, the second strap would be quite thin, a little larger than a spaghetti strap, with no distracting lace appliques . Since any dress for you will have cloth cut off the hem, that would make a thin strap. Once fit, a row or two of seed pearls could be sewn in along the strap. Eye catching the way a tiny tatoo is without distracting from the one strap look.
    Don't bother with the other two dresses. The waist length is too long, and. your dress would keep hiking up into wrinkles, and could not be altered, would need a waist seam.

Also, this cut of dropped waist with skirt expanding from the hipline is perfect. Any mermaid or trumpet like the other two, out at thighs and knees, will make your hips look fat. This cut, a sheath, or a slim cut A line will each flatter you.
    You did well to find one such great dress the first day out. Kudos.
  • Number 2 for sure!
  • I think 1 and 2 are beautiful on you, but I think 2 is the best. Even if it sounds weird, I think the straps on 1 and 3 actually draw a lot of attention to the bust/shoulders, and as a curvy girl myself I don't know that it's an area I want anyone focusing on. I think the criss-cross on two accents your little waist and makes you look extra hour glass and keeps the proportions even :) whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll look beautiful! Good luck!
  • Number 2. looks the best on you and its the prettiest for your beach wedding! love the airiness and flowiness!
  • number one looks best on you but if you can please post photos from the smaller shop you are visiting as well i want to see what those look like

oh and mori lee bonny, calista, venus women, and allure women all have lines that are made for fuller figure and curvey brides 
  • 1 is terrific for your figure. Very flattering proportions, trim in the right places, neither of which is common at your height, I would put that on your possible keepers list. Many people cannot carry off an asymmetrical cut like this with one strap and trim running to one side, but this works for you, keeps the eye from the horizontal line that makes some larger bust look like a serving platter of boobs. The only thing, one strap gowns always always hang lopsided on large busted women after a couple of hours, unless they have a second strap. To keep that asymmetric design, the second strap would be quite thin, a little larger than a spaghetti strap, with no distracting lace appliques . Since any dress for you will have cloth cut off the hem, that would make a thin strap. Once fit, a row or two of seed pearls could be sewn in along the strap. Eye catching the way a tiny tatoo is without distracting from the one strap look. Don't bother with the other two dresses. The waist length is too long, and. your dress would keep hiking up into wrinkles, and could not be altered, would need a waist seam. Also, this cut of dropped waist with skirt expanding from the hipline is perfect. Any mermaid or trumpet like the other two, out at thighs and knees, will make your hips look fat. This cut, a sheath, or a slim cut A line will each flatter you. You did well to find one such great dress the first day out. Kudos.

Thank you for the thorough reply! That really helps, after I go to the smaller boutique on Friday, I plan on going back to David's to try the first one on again and talk with alterations to see what all can be done with it. I will update here with what I find out.
  • Thanks everyone for the replies and input. I go to the smaller boutique on Friday, I will update everyone with any updates and may need further input. I really appreciate the help, sometimes strangers opinions are much more honest and helpful.
  • I vote #1, simple but with some sparkle
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards