Wedding Party

Bridesmaid is being obnoxious, and I'm not sure why...

Hello everyone. Let me go into a background story of the current issue I'm facing with this bridesmaid.

My MOH sent out a group message on Facebook the other day to all of the girls I told her I wanted to invite. In the message, she outlined the plans for the bachelorette party, which were to start off the day by going to a painting party around 1pm, then going out for dinner/drinks around 4pm, then various bars, then finally to the hotel for the night. Apparently this bridesmaid responded asking "is this painting party "your" idea or "her" idea to my MOH (it was mine!). She then said something along the lines of "not all of us can get all-day babysitters for our kids" (she has two young ones). She also said something like "We should just cut out the painting party idea." To which my MOH replied that this was MY bachelorette party and MY idea, and that it was fine, she didn't have go to the painting party, and that she could meet up with us later on in the night whenever was convenient for her.

The bridesmaid then proceeded to text me apologizing, saying that she felt like she was being a Debbie Downer, etc. but that the overall price that my MOH had stated each girl would need to pay (around 130 dollars) was way too much for her, since she was having a lot of money trouble. I felt horrible about this and got in touch with my MOH and we figured out a way to slash the price by 30 dollars or so, by deciding to stay at a cheaper hotel and also cutting out a party package at a nearby nightclub I had wanted to check out. I told the bridesmaid about the new price and she seemed okay with this.

So this same day, my MOH said in the same group message to all of the girls that she was going to go ahead and book the hotel the next day. None of the girls objected to this (including this bridesmaid) or said that she wouldn't be able to stay. So the next day, my MOH booked the room and sent out another group message telling everyone. To which this bridesmaid replied, "I wish you would have told me you were booking the room" (my MOH HAD told everyone this). "I will NOT be staying the night. I will be going back home." My MOH responded "That's fine" and then texted me saying that she would just eat the extra cost of this girl choosing not to stay at the hotel with us, which I feel awful about because I hate that my MOH is having to shell out more money all because this girl is being obnoxious.

So the crux is, that this bridesmaid is being horrible and I'm not sure why or how to remedy it. Multiple other girls in the party who saw her replies in the group message have come forward to me saying that she came off very snarky and rude. To top it off, apparently now she's giving ME the silent treatment, as we had earlier planned maybe hanging out today if she was free, and I texted her earlier this morning asking if she would be able to hang out, and have heard nothing in reply since.

I know that this girl has a lot going on right now in her personal life (she has a four month old baby with a father who is not financially supportive, her parents whom she is very close with recently moved four hours away, etc.) And I feel really bad that it seems my wedding/money issues are putting a huge burden on her. I'm not sure how to reach out to her or how to proceed from here. I know she has a lot going on, but my feelings are kind of hurt that she was being so awful to my MOH (and I'm kind of angry with her on my MOH's behalf too).

I sure hope someone has some advice for me, because I feel I need to fix this issue BEFORE the bachelorette party, or I may end up with one bridesmaid sitting snarky and sullen in the corner, being rude all night (or may not even come).

HELP!!

Re: Bridesmaid is being obnoxious, and I'm not sure why...

• I agree with PP's. You've clearly never been a bridesmaid who has received a huge invoice from a MOH asking for tons of money on top of the dress and travel expenses you've incurred to be in the wedding. This has happened to me a couple times, and it sucks. Your MOH is being the obnoxious one.

Re-read your post. You're upset because a busy friend of yours can't gleefully dedicate tons of money to a silly party that celebrates you.

• FB is a horrible way to plan a b-party.  You can't read tone and sometimes wording can comes across wrong.  I'm not sure the actual wording from your MOH.  But it seems to me that the FB messages sent was something like "here is the plan, here is the cost.  Oh and you have 1 day to let me know because I'm booking rooms tomorrow."

If you are going to have a day long b-party (including a potential hotel stay), it should be presented that people are welcome to attend any or all of the events.   Cost should be broken down by event.  That way the attendee can figure out what, if any events, they will attend.  Some might do them all, others might not have the time (or money) to commit to all the events and will pick and  choose what they will do.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I hate that my MOH is having to shell out more money all because this girl is being obnoxious.

• Good on you for realizing what you need to do and being willing to do it. I hope the party ends up being fun for all!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • bachelorette party for 1day, friendship for a lifetime.

The situation looks easy from the outside. But it is easy to loose sight of someone else's problems when you get involved in making plans of your own.
    I am glad you see the problem and want to fix it.
  • Money issues aside, I find it a little odd that she was ever expected to stay the night when she has a baby.
    This is an inappropriate expectation, baby or not.

Formerly martha1818

• rnsoonrnsoon member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    How dare your BM have a life and financial obligations aside from your wedding.

Isn't there like, a BM police that can arrest her for being so "awful"? Anyone?

Edit because iphone thinks it knows what I want to say. It's wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards