Attire & Accessories Forum

Floral and tuxedo questions

I actually have two different questions. I am looking for flowers for my wedding in July and have decided on silk. I found two ladies I really like and am now struggling to decide who to go with. They both have unique pros and cons and I am not sure what to ask or what would be a must. One lady does e-mail/phone communication only but has great reviews, the other will meet in person with many meetings and even deliver, set up, and tear down the flowers if needed but I can't find any reviews for the life of me. I like both of thier ideas for the flowers and am really at a loss.

The other question I have is based off an idea one of the florist gave me. My girls are in red and I haven't decided on the guys yet but I was thinking matching red. My favorite color is purple and the florist recommended making the girls flowers purple and white with a hint of red, making mine red, white, and purple, and put the guys in purple. That sounds crazy to me. Has anyone seen this done? Does that sound tacky? I am trying to go with an elegant look. Can anyone help?

Re: Floral and tuxedo questions

• In regards to your flower question, I personally would rather have a vendor that I can meet in person rather then one where I am solely talking over phone and email.  So you just have to go with your gut on who you pick.

As for the attire aspect are you talking about what kind of flowers each person will be holding/wearing?  That combo really doesn't sound crazy to me.  Sounds kind of typical really.  Now if you were going to put the guys in purple suits and the girls in red dresses then yeah, that would look tacky and crazy.  But to have them each carry/wear flowers that coordinate with the wedding colors is perfectly normal.

• I have the girls in red long dresses and was thinking of putting the men in matching red. The florist I talked to said to have the guys where purple vests and that just sounds strange. I am really having a hard time picturing that but she said having red, purple, and white in my bouquet would tie it together.

• I have the girls in red long dresses and was thinking of putting the men in matching red. The florist I talked to said to have the guys where purple vests and that just sounds strange. I am really having a hard time picturing that but she said having red, purple, and white in my bouquet would tie it together.

I vote having the guys in black or another neutral vest like silver.

• Personally, I'm never a fan of BMs matching GMs. To me, it just looks really canned. Plus colored vests remind me of prom. If you want to add color to the guys' attire, I'd just do it via the boutonniere. If you really want to add more, a tie/bow tie.

As for hiring a florist, I would go with the person who will meet with you in person and deliver/set up/tear down. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Also, when you mix purple and red together the first thing that pops up in my mind is The Red Hat Society.  I mean those colors are fine to use especially if you love them, but I would just minimize just how much you use them around your wedding.  Flowers and the BM dresses are perfect places for those colors, but I would keep the rest of your decor (linens and such) on the more neutral side.

• About tuxedos:

1.  They are BLACK, and should only be worn after 6:00 PM according to traditional rules.

2.  The ties should also be black.  This is why tuxedos are also called "black tie".

3.  Vests that are worn with tuxedos are usually black or grey.  It is so 1980's to have matching colors with the bridesmaids.  Go re-watch The Wedding Singer!  Ugh!

I have no opinion on the flowers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2015
    we did tuxes for our wedding hubby was in a black tux with an ivory shirt  ivory vest and a ivory tie 

groomsmen wore a black tux with a aqua vest aqua tie and white shirt 

bm wore a long one shoulder dress in the color seaglass which is blueish green color but more on the blue side 
    wedding ceremony was at 5 reception was at 7
    we did gerbera daisys for the girls in various colors my bouquet also had some roses as well. groomsmen and hubby wore daisys as the butanier 

here is a photo of wedding party 
  • here are some photos of my bridal party 
  • I agree that the coloured vests/cummerbunds/whatever look dated. If your men are wearing actual tuxes, then black accessories, and if they're wearing three-piece suits, all three pieces matching is the nicest looking option in my eyes.

If they're wearing suits and you want to put them in a coloured shirt or tie, go for it, but the actual suiting...I don't like the way the colourful stuff looks, personally. And I wouldn't combine red and purple either. But those are just my personal tastes. If you love it and your men are comfortable wearing it and buying/renting it, then go for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards