Wedding Invitations & Paper

Using middle name on invitation

Ok.  Before anyone says anything, I know how invitations should be addressed.  Mr. & Mrs. John Doe.  I'm pretty sure of the answer but I'm still going to ask anyway.  I'm coming up with my list of addresses and I just wrote down my father-in-laws.  The problem is that it seems weird writing his first name down (as that is also my fiance's first name). He has always gone my his middle name.  Would it be completely wrong to use his middle name on the invite?

Re: Using middle name on invitation

• I believe it should be addressed like Mr. J. David Smith if that's the case.
  • Okay, and another threadjack here... But what if I don't want to include MY middle name on the invitation.  I don't use or like my middle name, but I do use my middle initial.  Is Angela D. Kramer (not my name) okay?  Or do I HAVE to spell it out Angela DiLionello Kramer?
  • adk19 said:
    Okay, and another threadjack here... But what if I don't want to include MY middle name on the invitation.  I don't use or like my middle name, but I do use my middle initial.  Is Angela D. Kramer (not my name) okay?  Or do I HAVE to spell it out Angela DiLionello Kramer?
    Like on the actual invitation? I just used our first and last names. I didn't want middle names on the invitation as it seemed too formal for me.
    Ours reads: together with their parents Lavender Fields and FI Last Name invite you to celebrate..

• mlg78 said:
    I believe it should be addressed like Mr. J. David Smith if that's the case.
    Yep.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Sorry.  When addressing the invitation.

• Sorry.  When addressing the invitation.

You address it how he wants to be addressed. If he always goes by David and never uses his first name, I would just do Mr. David Smith.

We had a guest named AJ but his real name is Alexander James. My husband said he would prefer AJ, so that's how we addressed it. 

• adk19 said:
    Okay, and another threadjack here... But what if I don't want to include MY middle name on the invitation.  I don't use or like my middle name, but I do use my middle initial.  Is Angela D. Kramer (not my name) okay?  Or do I HAVE to spell it out Angela DiLionello Kramer?
    If you hate your middle name and don't want to use it then don't use it.  I didn't use my first or middle name, but instead used my nickname that I have gone by and am known by since the day I was born.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards