Wedding Reception Forum

Multiple Food Service Styles... Too Complicated?

We are starting to think about how we are going to serve dinner at our reception. We are having a tented reception in June. Our wedding is over a year away and no menu items have been set in stone yet. All the weddings I have been to in the past have been plated dinners, so I'm looking for thoughts/cautions/experiences on combining multiple methods. I am looking for info prior to any meetings about food and menu with our reception staff and chef.
Personally I like the idea of a family-style service best, because to me a wedding is a bringing-together of friends and loved ones, in the same way that a thanksgiving or Christmas dinner would be.
I don't love the idea of an entirely buffet-style meal, simply due to the waiting in line issue, and that we will have roughly 150 people. I don't think food stations would be an option at our venue.

Also, there will be a few vegan guests, probably a couple vegetarians, and inevitably other allergies/restrictions.
On this note, between my mom, siblings, and myself, we already have to eliminate eggs, cow's dairy (we can use goat and sheep cheese), soy, peanuts, and most other nuts from the menu. We will likely not be serving fish/shellfish , so that covers most common allergens. I don't want to be eating different food than everyone else at my own wedding. Our venue is very open to customizing food items, or altering existing recipes.
I do not know of anyone who is gluten-intolerant/celiac (but it's possible).

In my mind this makes sense:
Plated salad course
Family-style main course - we will most likely have two meat options plus a vegan option, two starch options, and one or two veggie options
Dessert Buffet later on - Neither myself or my fiancee is big on cake - we have talked about possibly doing fruit pies and ice cream, the pie from our venue's restaurant is to die for

I know that for family style to work, the tables will need to be relatively bare - I haven't decided on center pieces yet but probably something floral. No candles, we will have lots of white xmas-lights strung up from the ceiling of the tent. Favors can be put on a table/display elsewhere if needed.
Round tables of 8 or long tables? I think the long tables (for 16, 8 on each side) look nicer, but is this logistically a bad idea? My mom is concerned that people will not be able to easily talk to the other guests at their table if they are seated at long tables. I have never attended a wedding that was not round tables.

The food is one of the most important things to both myself and my fiancee, so budget is pretty flexible as we have for sure overbudgeted for food.

Thoughts?

Re: Multiple Food Service Styles... Too Complicated?

• 1) I think your plan of plated salad course, family style dinner, and dessert buffet sounds amazing.

2) I like round tables versus rectangle. Same reason as your mom. 

3) For decor, I would do something skinny, but stable (in case someone knocks a dish into it). I don't know the style of your wedding, but what about something like this - a small footprint, but anchored with rocks, it looks pretty stable:
    *********************************************************************************

• I like your idea of plated salad, family-style dinner, and dessert buffet. I also agree that round tables are preferable to rectangular ones.

For centerpieces, something narrow would be appropriate. Maybe @southernbelle0915‌'s idea or perhaps single tall candlesticks.
  • I like the idea of plated salads and family-style dinner.  

I had a mix of round and rectangular tables. I would do it again.

As far as decor, less is more, especially if you have having family style.  Large CP just get in the way of passing the food.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I like the plated salad course and the dessert bar sounds like something I would stand next too all night! :)

I am having a bit of a difficult time wrapping my head around the family styled dinner. Like you, I love that "together" feeling it could bring but logistically I am thinking things could get sticky.

If you are having 150 people, assuming 10 person tables, that is 15 tables (more if 8 person table). That would mean needing to have 15 dishes of meat option A, 15 of meat option B, 15 of vegan, 15 of starch option A, ....you get the picture. This might also mean you are preparing more of one thing then you need - example you now have to make sure vegan items are available for each table in a sufficient quantity to feed all the people at that table. (Unless you do a seating chart governed by food limitations, another potential issue all together.)

If the venue and budget allows all that then there is little to no problem. Though as a guest I guess I would find it odd leaning over and asking some person I may have never met to "Please pass the green beans." Plus I am all dressed up and sort of clumsy, the chance of me spilling on myself as I load my plate is higher than I would like it to be.

Just my thoughts. I think it is awesome you have this type of flexibility. My venue is buffet or highway.
  • I like family style but make sure there's extra food. My MOH had a family style dinner at her wedding. It was delicious! But the table full of 8-10 hungry guys in their early 20s very quickly ran out of food and were left hungry. Luckily the head table had way too much so I gave the guys an extra platter of skirt steak (they all fell in love with me for a moment there). Basically, the venue gave the same amount of food per table, which didn't take the individual guests into account.

Anniversary

• I always loved family style until we had the tasting for the RD for my son and DIL's wedding.  We were 12 at the table and food got cold very quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards