Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Board games/card games - Yay or nay?

FI and I like to play board games and card games. We play together on our own and also when we get together with our friends. Because they are regular hobbies of ours, would it be appropriate to register for games? I've read conflicting opinions that people would or would not side eye this, so I thought I'd try to get a general consensus here. Obviously we would register for more traditional things, like dishes and appliances, etc, as well. 

Re: Board games/card games - Yay or nay?

• Options
    I wouldn't side-eye it. The point of registering is to provide a wish list of things you want. I side-eye big ticket items, like a sofa, but not this.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    FI and I like to play board games and card games. We play together on our own and also when we get together with our friends. Because they are regular hobbies of ours, would it be appropriate to register for games? I've read conflicting opinions that people would or would not side eye this, so I thought I'd try to get a general consensus here. Obviously we would register for more traditional things, like dishes and appliances, etc, as well. 
    I wouldn't side eye it. Especially since it's something you like to share with your friends. Go for it!

• Options
    I wouldn't side-eye it. If that's something you'd like to receive as gifts, I don't see any reason not to register for them - especially since I love board and card games too!
  • Options
    I wouldn't side-eye it, and as a fellow gamer I'd be highly likely to get them for you! 
  • Options
    I would side eye it. I don't think wedding registries should be filled with things that are more birthday or Christmas gifts. It appears gift grabby to me. But obviously other wouldn't be bothered by it, so do with that what you will.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I would totally buy games for someone if I saw it on a registry!
  • Options
    We almost always buy games as wedding gifts, on or off registry.
  • Options
    I love board games, so I'd be pretty excited to see them on there. I consider them a "hosting" item just like bar stuff and serving platters, so I don't bat an eye when I see them on a registry.
  • Options
    I side-eye people who side-eye it. This is a lasting part of your everyday life and relationship - why shouldn't that be seen on the same level as a casserole dish? As long as you have a wide variety of items for people to choose from, and it's nothing anyone might be offended by (I wouldn't register for CAH or sex dice!) then you should go for it.

Things I judge on registries - consumables like toilet paper or food (I add food items on my own if I buy certain kitchen items, like apple pie spices with a pie dish, or fancy pasta with a strainer pot - there's no need to register for them), things that only one person will use like a curling iron (selfish much?), and super expensive things like living room furniture (although I try to remember that people could go in together on those things... but it makes me squirm).

• Options
    No side eye. As long as both parties enjoy games, I'd consider this a nice choice. 
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your opinions! When it comes time to register, I think we will definitely be adding the games to the list. Considering when we have people over, it is often for a game night, it's definitely more of a hosting type item, rather than just trying to be gift grabby for us. 
  • Options
    No side-eyes here.  H and I registered for a lot of camping/outdoorsy stuff, because that's a huge part of our life together.  Several guests mentioned to me that they were excited to have the opportunity to buy something "fun" for us (as opposed to more utilitarian gifts).
    Anniversary

• Options
    I really liked buying couples things like board games when I was in grad school and didn't have a lot to spend on a wedding gift (usually I was also poor enough that I couldn't attend the wedding but really wanted to send something to the couple). From experience it's a lot more satisfying to send a board game/card game than it is to send like, one plate, or one bowl, or two hand towels, or whatever you can get from the registry for $25-$40. I really appreciate it when couples register for a good number of somewhat meaningful items in that price range. 
  • Options
    Social games, and cards and small foldable tables for bridge or poker, as well as 6 foot folding tables are as much for entertaining as for private pastimes, and useful for years. I think they belong on registries or on wish lists.
  • Options
    I think most of our guests have something to do with gaming or are family. 

Don't forget a thing or two to make specific games easier I don't know what you play, so this turned into a TMI list (forgive me):
    For pictionary/charade stable easel (unless instability adds to the fun), white board, Nice cup to hold/display pens markers.
    For Dice/RPG a nice vinyl grided tablecloth, wet-erase markers, A few geeky/nice boxes to store/hide/collect forgotten dice/minitures.
    Video Gamers- Non kiddy bins to store Controllers/games in, extender bars or long controller wires. 
    For Board/Card gamers- soft table cloths, Small gaming table (little raised platform/table to place the game on), picture ledge to store game box on. 
    For bunco: Wine charms, ice bucket, Fold away table, placemats.

Don't forget durable hosting items like extra seating (you can store easily), extra glasses, coasters, flatware, and few extra dessert/appetiser dishes for when there's a tasty dish to share while gaming.
  • Options
    What a great idea! You could end up with some really cool games too.
  • Options
    I wouldn't side eye a few.  I would side-eye twenty registered board games.  

• Options
    I LOVE buying board games. If people register for them, this is always the gift I go for. DF and I, as well as all of our friends, love to host game nights for our friends. It's always so fun to come to a party at someone's house and play the game we bought them!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards