Wedding Etiquette Forum

Politely Explain Shuttle Service to guests on website?

My FI and I are paying for a shuttle to transport guests from the hotel to the church, church to reception, and then (starting at 10PM) from the reception to the hotel. The shuttle may need to make multiple trips each time since it is only a 15 person van, and we are guessing around 30 people will be at the hotel. We considered a shuttle that would take everyone in one go, but that would require a large bus, and we cannot afford that (it would take the cost from $450 to $1,000). 

Here's what we are thinking about putting on the website in the hotel's information section. Does this capture what I said above clearly? If not, any edits that keep it polite, but clear?
The day of the wedding, we are providing shuttle service for guests staying at --hotel name--. The shuttle will take guests from the hotel to --church name-- starting at 3:00. Please plan to be downstairs no later than 3:20 since the shuttle may need to make multiple trips. The shuttle will take guests from --church name-- to the --reception site name-- immediately following the ceremony. Starting at 10:00 PM and every 20 min thereafter, the shuttle will provide transportation from --reception site name-- back to the hotel. 
(note: the limo/transport company requested the 3:20 time, even though the ceremony starts at 4. They figure they can do their first trip to the church at 3, be back at 3:20, herd the cats for a 3:30 departure, and still make one final trip to and from the hotel to get all of the late people or anyone who couldn't fit in the 3:30 trip to the church by 4). 

Also, is it rude that we are not providing the shuttle service until 10PM for guests returning to the hotel? The reception starts at 6:30, after an hour and fifteen min cocktail hour, so they're being fully hosted starting at 4PM when they arrive at the church. We have a few families with younger children attending that will be at the hotel. I figured since the shuttle service was something above and beyond what we need to offer, that if they need to leave early they can call a cab company and pay the $20 cab fare. But I wanted to make sure I'm not just being a jerk about this. If we need to offer the shuttle the whole night we actually can't afford it so we'll have to cancel the contract :-/

Re: Politely Explain Shuttle Service to guests on website?

• I think you're fine.  Anyone who thinks they might not want to stay until 10pm can drive themselves, or take a cab.  I think offering it as an option for people who would rather not rely on a designated driver is nice.
  • I think what you are stating on your wedding website is fine. That's what I would want to know- when and where is the shuttle, how do I get on it, what time do I have to be ready.

Since a shuttle is not required, it is more than fine that the shuttle starts at 10pm. 
  • What you're doing sounds 100% fine from an etiquette standpoint and it's very nice that you're offering transportation.

Though... the older I get, the more of a stick-in-the-mud I become. Because getting on a bus at 3 and then not being able to leave until 10pm sounds like suuuuuch a loooooong day to me.
    And with cocktail hour starting at 5:15... that's almost 5 hours of party before I could leave. And if the line to get on the bus is long, possibly even more than that.

Are you paying for a specific block of time? Or per trip? Probably time, but in the event it's trips, maybe split them up. Like an 8:30, a 10 and an 11. But I realize you're probably paying per hour, so just do whatever you have to do.

Your plan is fine. Just make sure to make it clear the hours so people can plan accordingly.
  • I think I'd also make some mention that each shuttle run can accommodate 15 people.  If I were staying at the hotel, that could sway my decision to take it.  You say you expect around 30 people....if there are just a couple more people than that, there are going to be some people that will be waiting for a some time, especially from the church to the reception when everyone is ready to go at the same time.  I'd be annoyed to be missing cocktail hour (my favorite part of the wedding!) and I'd probably just drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards