Snarky Brides
Options

Confession

I may or may not be...a Snarky Bride. Either way, I'm a little concerned. Aside from a little snare with my mom being difficult a few months back, my wedding planning has been pretty nice. I've put my deposit on my venue and have been asking a few questions here and there with my day of planner via email. My fiance is in the hospitality business and actually knows the owner from a previous encounter at his work though he has only talked to the day of planner once or twice. I had scheduled a visit a few weeks ago to introduce my DJ and see if he (my DJ) would be able to make things work. (Cocktail hour is outside with no speakers, dinner is in the next room to the dance hall and again, no speakers, and my ceremony is on site but a minute drive up a hill.) 

I confirmed with my day of planner that I would be there at the scheduled time (this was done via phone the day before the meeting) and she happily told me she would be waiting for me and that I could take all the time I want since I was her only appointment. I show up on time with my DJ in tow and she asked me to sign in if I'm a guest looking to book a suite or sign in for the tour and put a desired date down if I'm here for a wedding. I thought i was odd since I've met with her twice in person and spent a very lengthy time with her when we placed our despite (talking about her daughter and their life, which was an amazing story!). She leaves for a while and then comes back to ask if I was interested in seeing their different ceremony sites, ect. I kindly reminded her about our appointment, supplied my name, reintroduced FI, and introduced my DJ. She stared at me for a full minute while trying to process who I was before it dawned on her. Several times during the visit I had to remind her my date, resupply my name, remind her which site I picked and my concerns about it given the size with the DJ equipment. 

We waited for a good thirty minutes before she was able to get everything ready to show us and then seemed flabbergasted that I wanted to show them the ceremony site which is the main reason we went up there to begin with. My first trip up to the ceremony site, I hadn't looked where the dJ sat and its a small chapel. The previous wedding pictures at this location didn't show a DJ in the pictures (which is always great but left me curious if I would be having one or using an ipod for sound). Turns out there is no spot for a DJ so he'll just be sitting in the back with small speakers and a laptop. A man took us to the chapel, we got it figured out, drove back to the reception site and I was yet again asked my name and my wedding date and what I was there for. She remembered my DJ's name, which she met for the first time, and my fiance's name but not mine. 

I'm a little upset and hurt that I have had the most contact with the day of planner and she doesn't remember at all. The only reason she remembers my fiance is because his name is unusual and he works with hospitality...even so, she only saw him once without me in tow at his work.  I'm concerned because despite all the contact that I have with her, she doesn't remember a single thing about the wedding even though I was her only appointment that day. What if she misplaced the deposit which was a certified check? Or what if she didn't actually reserve my correct wedding date and gives it to someone else. I'm pretty sure I'm over thinking things but this woman's memory about me makes me nervous. If she can't even remember an appointment that was confirmed the day before, what else is she not remembering? Is this normal with venue planners to forget their clients? I guess my anxiety doesn't help with matters here. 

EDIT
Another reason I wanted to go up was to take pictures so that way I could decorate. I'm glad I did because the aisle decor will have to be changed since the aisle isn't very wide. Its a big DIY wedding so I'm glad I didn't make a bunch of large  paper flowers and then not use them. 

Re: Confession

• Options
    Is there a manager you can voice your concerns to? I would be very confused and put-off by this appointment. A coordinator is the person who is supposed to remember all those little details and make sure things run smoothly. 

I guess I would also call to confirm that the correct date has been booked for your wedding.

• Options

I work in marketing and do a number of events at various locations, and honestly, I really wouldn't be concerned. It's quite common for me to call a hotel about an event two months ahead of time and for it to take a few minutes for them to place my company, event, etc. They do look at my contract, though. I would be annoyed as you are since you had an appointment. She should have looked at your name, info and contract prior to meeting with you. However, I doubt she's gotten the date wrong, misplaced the deposit or something else.

These venues do so many events - weddings, corporate functions, etc. - so if your wedding is say even 6 months out it's likely not at the top of mind. Until you're doing your tasting, meeting about day of logistics, etc. she likely won't be as concerned with your wedding as it's not at the top of her mind. It doesn't excuse her lack of knowledge for your meeting or her forgetfulness, however. I would definitely be irritated. I would make a list of questions - top things you want to double check or know - and give her a call and go through anything you're unsure of. I'm sure it will ease your mind.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    blushingbride889 described, I wouldn't be concerned that she doesn't remember you that well. However, I would be concerned that you have discussed details with her and she has not written them down and did not have that reminder available for your meeting. Going off memory is a bad idea for this sort of thing, if she doesn't have a notebook or something that is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Does she do email? Could you email her the details of your meetings with her to make sure that she keeps records of what you wanted? 
  • Options
    So we mainly contact via Email, there have only been a few times we talk on the phone, one being the day before the appointment. The manager strictly stays out of the wedding business since they are more of a get-a-way ranch hotel, the weddings are on the side and from what I gather, there aren't a whole lot since they only run one wedding per weekend. 

I did call and confirm, she did have the correct date but not the correct time. We changed that and reviewed everything. We did go over some of the details that she had added (centerpieces) that she initially didn't write down, so now I'm feeling much better. Thank you guys!

I guess I was really irritated that for the life of her, she couldn't remember me and I had to keep reminding her throughout the same appointment several times. I understand that they have several events, functions, stuff on their plate and that my visit was considered insanely small. I work in the medical field and deal with numerous amounts of patients on the phone, computer, and in person everyday. Before I see a patient, even if its just a random unscheduled blood pressure check, I make sure to look at their chart. I make it a point to read their past visits, review their medications, ect. so that they aren't just a random name. If they have an appointment, I make sure I know who they are before I even go into the room with them.

Anyway, back to the situation....I am feeling much more relieved now that I was able to talk to my planner. Thank you all again for your help and reassurance. I'm so glad that theknot is here for us nervous brides!
  • Options
    So glad you're feeling more relaxed and at ease after your discussion with your planner @rentothenay - I completely understand your frustrations! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards