Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon booking - maiden name or married name?

I am getting married on October 2nd and planning to book the honeymoon for the end of October. We will be going out of the country (Dominican Republic) and will require me to use my passport (with maiden name). Do I just book everything with my maiden name as opposed to married name? Do I just wait until after the honeymoon entirely to even do the name change process? Not sure how exactly to do this, don't want to have issues arise because of last name.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Honeymoon booking - maiden name or married name?

• I am getting married on October 2nd and planning to book the honeymoon for the end of October. We will be going out of the country (Dominican Republic) and will require me to use my passport (with maiden name). Do I just book everything with my maiden name as opposed to married name? Do I just wait until after the honeymoon entirely to even do the name change process? Not sure how exactly to do this, don't want to have issues arise because of last name.

Thanks for the help!
    YES! Your name needs to match what's on you passport when you travel. I changed everything when I got back from our HM since I knew it would take some time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Just do your maiden name. You won't be able to get a new passport in time.
  • Yes, definitely your maiden name. I'm also going out of the country and my travel agent sent me our listing for our tickets and in big bold letters. 

YOU MUST FLY UNDER YOUR MAIDEN NAME.

Because if the names don't match, then you can't fly. There's something about if you bring your marriage license with you, that's acceptable, but why risk it? Just go under your maiden name :) Have fun!

• Thanks for asking this question! I was actually wondering this myself. So, for the answerers, I just want to make sure I'm clear: our honeymoon won't be until about a month after the wedding, most likely. Should I wait to change my name or just not worry about changing my passport? Because airports will want to see my passport but not necessarily my license, I'd assume, but I want to make sure I don't cause an international incident.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks for asking this question! I was actually wondering this myself. So, for the answerers, I just want to make sure I'm clear: our honeymoon won't be until about a month after the wedding, most likely. Should I wait to change my name or just not worry about changing my passport? Because airports will want to see my passport but not necessarily my license, I'd assume, but I want to make sure I don't cause an international incident.
    For me, I'd rather wait the 30 days to change my name than to potentially run into that one TSA agent having a bad day. You never know who is going to want to see both your license and passport. (Never happened to me, but you never know.)

• Remember, you'll also have to make sure the name on your plane ticket matches up.

I would just wait. Better safe than sorry.

To be honest, I got married in October and am still working on changing my name - my passport will be the last thing I tackle since license, ss card, and credit cards are of more immediate concern right now.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I got married on 9/21 and our honeymoon was 10/19...even then, our marriage certificate wasn't filed with the courts and docketed until a week after the wedding and then it's super crunch time to get the passport done. It's just not worth the stress.
  • Better safe then sorry to wait & change your name on everything until after your honeymoon. Another reason is here is worse case scenerio, you update your name with the DMV and Social Security (In Ohio we have to go to SS office first & then to DMV for name changes) but have your vacation booked under maiden name & passport under maiden name. What happens if you lose your passport while traveling. You have nothing left in your maiden name to show ID to help you get a new passport issued while traveling.

• I agree, I'd wait until after so that all your ID matches. 
  • this thread just got me thinking, I just renewed my passport 2 years ago and now if I change my name after getting married this spring I'll have to pay for another renewal.  booooooo!  for some reason I forgot that would have to be changed, oops.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards