Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What color should the MOMS wear??

Hi Girls, 

So here is what I am having a problem with right now - I am not sure what color my mom and my FMIL should be wearing. It's not just my decision, but the three of us cannot figure out what a nice complimentary color would be. 

My colors are Plum and Gold and my dress is more of an ivory/champagne color. Im getting married November 2015!

Both my mom and FMIL are being super laid back and about it and just want to pick colors that wont clash. 

Any advice?? 

Thanks <3 

Re: What color should the MOMS wear??

• Options
    Whatever dress/suit that make them happy, regardless of the color.  If they're comfortable, they'll shine.  It's not about what color they're wearing.
  • Options
    Since Mom's are not part of the wedding party, and may wear different things which stand out from the WP and each other, there is a pretty wide choice.

Avoid anything orange toned or muddy, like olive, brownish or yellowish greens. No neons or hot colors. Clash horribly.

Clear light blues and light and medium pinks like shell pink or more intense dusty rose, and also soft sage bluegreen**. are classic complements to both plum, and to ivory and champagne, and are particularly nice with soft lacy or antique romantic looks with rich fabrics, but will also look good beside modern cuts.

**Sage comes in a yellowish green tone to AVOID, and a bluish green with silvery undertones , GREAT. There are two kinds and colors of sage plants, so color names are deceptive.

You and moms want to be complimentary, so I offered these. But in fact, any dress that suits them and makes them feel good is just fine.
  • Options
    Whatever they want to wear. This is their decision. My BMS are wearing black, my mom wants to wear black, navy, or grey.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Ditto the PPs. They can wear whatever color they want to wear. You and each of them shouldn't dictate what the other one wears. 

• Options
    Whatever color they want to wear, they don't need to match anyone. 
  • Options
    libride2015libride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Thank girls. 

I dont want to make it seem like I am TELLING them they have to wear a color - we just want everyone to blend, and not clash in photos, but I also want them to feel super special - it's a big deal for mine and my FI mom that we are getting married. Its their first childs wedding on both sides. 

We just didnt know what colors would clash with PLUM and GOLD and what would look good. 

I appreciate the help. 
  • Options
    Thank girls. 

I dont want to make it seem like I am TELLING them they have to wear a color - we just want everyone to blend, and not clash in photos, but I also want them to feel super special - it's a big deal for mine and my FI mom that we are getting married. Its their first childs wedding on both sides. 

We just didnt know what colors would clash with PLUM and GOLD and what would look good. 

I appreciate the help. 
    You are over thinking this.  There will be very few, if any photos, of your parents with your wedding party members.  So to have them coordinate with your colors is kind of pointless.  Just tell them to wear whatever makes them feel beautiful.

And even if you have siblings in your wedding party and you take a family picture the colors will not matter because it is a family picture not a wedding party picture.

• Options

There is not much that clashes with those colors. It won't matter anyway. If they see a dress they like, they should buy it.

I had to convince my MIL that it was okay for her to wear the same color as my mom, and therefore she didn't need to know what my mom's dress was before purchasing hers.

• Options
    I can't really think of anything that would clash with those colors except camo. I would just provide them with swatches and let them shop for whatever. They aren't in the WP, so it doesn't matter what they wear. 

Colors that I think would look good: dark or emerald green, black, navy, lavender.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    To be fair, I don't think any colors will clash in photos. When you take photos with friends at a party or at other social events in your life (prom, graduation, etc.) you don't color coordinate, right? No, and the pictures still turn out beautiful and meaningful. Let them wear the color they feel their best in. 

And also, I would assume that for many mothers, it's a big deal when their kids get married too. Just because I'm allowing my mom and my FMIL to pick out their own dresses doesn't mean the day isn't a big deal for them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @hellohkb I wasnt trying to say that it wasnt a big deal for your mother because you are letting them pick out their own dress..

I started this post simply because my MOTHER and my FMIL and I as well were curious as to what colors would work with the colors of the wedding and what others thought. 

It has nothing to do with myself, I wrote this post so I could relay to them what others thought. 

Thank you for your opinion. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    @hellohkb I wasnt trying to say that it wasnt a big deal for your mother because you are letting them pick out their own dress..

I started this post simply because my MOTHER and my FMIL and I as well were curious as to what colors would work with the colors of the wedding and what others thought. 

It has nothing to do with myself, I wrote this post so I could relay to them what others thought. 

You may reassure them then that they can wear whatever colors they feel beautiful in.
  • Options
    I told my mother and my MIL to pick whatever color they wanted. They actually both wanted to wear black, and they looked gorgeous. 

They really don't need to match anyone, and they really will not clash with anything. 
  • Options

In your original post, you said that 'it's not just my decision', when in fact it's not your decision at all.  Your mom and MIL aren't part of the wedding party, so you don't have a hand in what they wear.  They're grown women and can dress themselves.  If your colours are plum and gold, find a colour wheel and look for complimentary colours on it.  Those are both jewel tones, so any other rich tone would work (blue, green, etc).  They're not children, so they would have experience pulling together outfits that don't clash.

For my sister's wedding, her colours were accents of blush and mint green.  The guys (including her FIL) were in tan suits, the bridesmaids wore champagne, her MIL wore beige, Mom wore dark taupe, and my dad was in his dress uniform (red).  The grandmothers (I think) wore blue and burgundy.  Her pictures are amazing, and we're all in same colour family.  The moms discussed what they were wearing with each other, only because they're best friends and went shopping together a few times.

For my wedding, the bridesmaids were in blue, the groomsmen and my ILs were in black, my brother had a purple shirt, my BIL had a lime green shirt, my dad was in red, and my mom was in forest green.  J's grandma wore black, and my two grandmas wore blue.  Our pictures are amazing, and no one had a matching colour (except for the black).

The only conversation I had with my mom and MIL about what they wore went like this "I'm thinking of wearing ______"  "Awesome, sounds great".

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think they should wear a color that compliments their features and not just your wedding.   My colors are navy, but my mom is wearing long black evening type dress.    I have no idea what my future stepmother-in-law is wearing and I honestly couldn't care less. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards