Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Should photographer visit wedding site ahead of time?

I'm on the fence with my two photographer choices and need a gut check on whether or not I'm being a bridezilla. Both photographers are slightly out of the area (2-3 hour drive) but I am willing to pay the travel fees. Photographer A has shot a wedding at my venue before, but is having me pay for her hotel the night before the wedding so she can visit the church, drive from church to reception site and generally scope out the location. Photographer B has never shot a wedding at my venue before, let alone in the area, and when I asked what her plans were to see the site ahead of time, she said they would drive up that day and make decisions while they are there, seeming confident in her abilities to make due with whatever the situation may be.

I'm completely turned off by Photographer B's answer because I don't like the idea of anyone "shooting from the hip" on my wedding day. What are other bride's experiences with photographers? Am I expecting too much for the photographer to make a special trip to visit the location, even if I'm willing to pay travel costs? Is this standard?

Re: Should photographer visit wedding site ahead of time?

• This is a decision only you can make. However, photojournalist shoot in new locations and situations everyday without any problem.

How much experience does photographer b have? Which photographer do you like better? Which one do you think will give you better images? And very important, which one do you feel most comfortable with?

Personally, I would not nix a photographer just because they didn't feel the need to scope out a site the day before. If you are turned off by it, then I think you already have your answer. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Hi....

My photographer has never done a wedding my venue either but he suggested meeting and looking at the site now and then about 2 weeks before the wedding just to look at lighting. I can tell you that it took me a long time to pick a photographer...I am a picture junky have family photo's from the last 4 generations in my house. To me photos are so important because they what you are going to be able to look back at. 

Have you had your engagement photo's taken? That is how I picked my guy.I would also ask for references and give them a call.  

In the end go with what your heart tells you to do! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe Photographer B isn't on board with scoping out the venue the day before because it might actually be less preferable for them to have time away from their family, maybe lost revenue on other jobs, etc.  Have you considered offering photographer B some extra $ to cover them looking at your sites like you did Photographer A?

This was a question that I used as part of my selection process as well, the answers I got ranged from "I will go and look if its that important to you", "I can arrange to see your site for X$ additional fee", "I drive up an hour before to scope out the areas on the day", the one who told me the last answer said its better for her to see on the day of since she will be able to see how the light is during that day, and the light and foliage changes seasonally anyways. 

• I'm a photographer and I wouldn't drive 2-3 hours ahead of time to scope out a location without compensation. If it's some place where weddings are routinely held I would google around for images to get an idea and then yes, day of, I would just shoot from the hip. As in, I'm a professional and understand composition and lighting and would simply direct you to where ever is best on your day. 

Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards