Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Can I pack that???

Hey My Fellow Knotties!

Just wondering how all of the destination wedding brides traveled with the OOT bags or any personalized décor? I wanted to ship some items to Punta Cana, but the wedding coordinator didn't sound to comfortable with that. So now I must pack in suitcases 30 OOT bags and the contents, 10-12  14 inch paper lanterns, and Cake topper  Sashes and whatever else I may want to throw in...lol.  Is there any other way to get my loot to the desired destination without incurring hefty checked luggage fees? What to do what to do?

Re: Can I pack that???

• Options
    It would have cost up too much so we are going to give out the oot bags before we leave for maui.
  • Options
    We packed 1 suitcase with our clothing and 1 suitcase with some decor items.  Going to Hawaii made travel clothing easier and smaller to pack so we could make due with our allotted luggage to take things.  

I also wouldn't trust things making it on time/not getting lost at the destination before I arrived.  

• Options
    We packed everything in our luggage since it was WAAAAY cheaper than shipping, and I had zero confidence in something actually getting there and not stuck in customs.  

We brought all of the stuff for the OOT bags for 35 (waited to assemble until we were there), centerpieces, wedding programs, table numbers and seating arrangement documents, table runners, large wooden maracas for 35, some of the wedding party gifts, umbrellas for me and the BMs, and smaller gifts for the parents.  

We managed to work all of that in with our regular clothes and toiletries for nine days and our wedding attire in three pieces of checked luggage and two carry-ons.  

We just made sure to bring luggage that fit into each other, so when we had the empty pieces, we could just stow them instead the others for the trip home.  
  • Options

@saric83

Wow! So you got all of the above mentioned into your luggage! Impressed I am, you must be a master at candy crush, tetris etc..... Im going to give it my best shot and get everything into my luggage. Did you have any problems with customs?

• Options
    I've heard some people have bought a cheap suitcase at say Marshalls or a thrift store, to bring down wedding things. They then either donated or trashed the bag once they were there and didn't bring it home. An extra bag fee saves a lot of time and aggravation over shipping.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Haha....no problems with customs, but one thing I did kind of unrelated that made everything much easier was that I actually packed my dress into a small piece of luggage as my carry-on instead of lugging it around in the bag.  It took up way less room and was SO much easier to carry around and go through customs with. Plus, I put all of my must-have accessories with it (my shoes, underwear and bra for the wedding, etc.) just in case my regular luggage got lost or delayed. 

It was easier than it sounds to shove everything into three big pieces of luggage when you're packing lots of light dresses and swimsuits. :)
  • Options
    I shipped my OOT bags to my hotel.  I got to my venue 4-days before wedding, so I timed it so it actually arrived the day after I got there.  My in-laws flew Southwest Airlines, so they were allowed free checked bags.  So, she brought a suitcase that had all my bouquets, decor, accessories, BM gifts, and other various wedding stuff. I figured that it would suck if my OOT bags got lost or delayed in shipping, but it wouldn't ruin the wedding.  I didn't want to trust the actual wedding items to shipping and preferred to trust MIL with those items instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards