Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Bride and Groom at cocktail hour?

We are having all our pictures done before the ceremony (bride/groom, wedding party, family, etc). A cocktail hour and appetizers are included in our reception package. I know we will need to take more pictures after the ceremony, but if those get finished I don't want us to have to mill around until our "grand" entrance before dinner. It would also give us a chance to be with family. Should we just chill during this time or can we be introduced early? Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Re: Bride and Groom at cocktail hour?

• Options
    We got introduced at the tail end of cocktail hour. Then we had about 15 minutes or so to hang around with people until dinner started. We just texted our DJ that we'd be arriving so he could get everyone's attention and then he announced us as we came in.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Our pictures were done VERY quickly, and we ended up with about half the cocktail hour left (our photographers were very efficient and we didn't want/need a lot of posed shots). DH and I took a few minutes to ourselves to take in the view of our cocktail hour then decided we wanted to join the fun. We spent about 20 minutes doing brief table visits, then gathered everyone for the "grand entrance". It gave us time to actually eat our dinner at a normal pace without having to rush so we could fit table visits in.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    We didn't have a grand entrance at all (it was all one venue for ceremony/cocktails/reception, and I felt like we were "introduced" at the end of the ceremony as husband and wife, so didn't need to do it again). We just joined the cocktail hour, and then went to the reception. 

I've seen plenty of brides and grooms join the cocktail hour, then step away to be "officially introduced" into the reception, however. 
  • Options
    We're doing all of our pictures before the ceremony so that we don't miss cocktail hour. I used to work at a catering hall, and I've been to 19(!) weddings in the last 3 years. Crazy, I know. The bride and groom have attended almost every cocktail hour. The only ones that I have seen that have missed most or all have been the ones where the ceremony & reception are in the same place, and no pictures were taken beforehand. And then they still do the DJ annoucned entrance once everyone moves into the main reception,

If you are able to make it, go for it! You should get to enjoy as much of the day you spent so long planning!
  • Options

Our plan was to get 95% of our pictures done before cocktail hour so that we could enjoy it as well. We knew we didn't want a grand entrance (only 50 guests - it would've felt weird to me with such an intimate setting) and I wanted to enjoy all of the yummy appetizers we had planned. We ended up only getting to enjoy about 15 minutes of the cocktail hour because our photog wanted these impromptu shots but we just wandered in and joined the group once we were done.

• Options
    People know who you are....it seems really silly to me to be "introduced" at the reception (or cocktail hour) when it was likely already done at the ceremony.  Just show up and have a good time.  
  • Options
    We will probably make it to the second half of the cocktail hour, too.  I am undecided about introductions; Fi's family is super into them, and every wedding I've been to has them, but it seems a little weird to me.  It's probably most natural to just skip the formal introductions and head into cocktail hour whenever you're ready.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    We did a first look and most of our pictures before the ceremony.  After the ceremony, we went to the bridal suite to enjoy a few moments and then joined the cocktail hour.  When the cocktail hour was ending, we went back to the bridal suite while everyone went into the reception room.  We were announced by our DJ.  It was perfect.  I LOVE cocktail hours....my favorite part of any wedding....I wasn't missing our own!  Of course, I didn't eat very much because I was terrified of something getting on my dress.
  • Options

We are doing the first look and most of the wedding party photos before the wedding....even if it means being ready at 8AM (wedding is at 10AM). Then are going to do family pictures after the wedding.

It is important to us that we are with our guest...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter gave me a VERY hard time about pictures before the ceremony, but finally agreed.  Most were done before the ceremony with a few after.  After the ceremony, she and hubby got a breather, she refreshed her make-up and they joined the end of cocktail hour.  They had a really great time and still got their grand entrance into the ceremony.  I think they really needed the time to take a breath after the ceremony, which would not have happened if pictures still needed to be done.
  • Options
    One of my friends took pictures before the wedding, minus just a few posed ones she got after. Her and her DH took the cocktail hour to have their sit down dinner, since B&G aren't usually at cocktail hours no one wondered where they were and they got some alone time. Then when the reception started they could spend the entire time welcoming and speaking to guests without having to worry about eating. 
  • Options
    To be honest, we did pre-ceremony pictures as well, but the pictures done after the ceremony are my favorites. While the pictures are the same, I know that in the pre pictures I wasn't technically married yet, and I'd actually be really unhappy if those were the only ones that I had.

I'd seriously encourage you to actually take pictures after your ceremony, not just before.
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    People know who you are....it seems really silly to me to be "introduced" at the reception (or cocktail hour) when it was likely already done at the ceremony.  Just show up and have a good time.  
    Quoted for truth. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Quoted for truth. 
    We did the intro to AW the kids in our wedding party (two ushers and a ringbearer). DH and I both have small families so most of the guests were our friends and coworkers who didn't know the kids. Let me tell you, everyone loved watching the kids ham it up and we got amazing pictures of them. If the kids had declined to be in the wedding, no intros - I'd have been deep into the whiskey!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    We didn't have an intro and attended cocktail hour.  It was really fun, so I'm glad we didn't miss it.  I don't see why you couldn't attend the cocktail hour and then still be introduced to begin the reception. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Quoted for truth. 
    Yup, that's how I feel too.  Also, they know who you are... they're your friends and family...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards