March 2015 Weddings
Options

Anyone been to Hawaii? (BI?)

Since I'm so paranoid of the price of flights skyrocketing for Spring Break, we booked our flights for Hawaii (Kona) yesterday! It was so hard for me to pull that trigger but I'm so happy I did now! 

Has anyone ever been to the Big Island before? We're staying in Waikoloa and will take any and all advise given!

imageimage

Re: Anyone been to Hawaii? (BI?)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    sup! we're getting married on the big isle on march 7 at hapuna. I was born and raised there so the reception will be mostly my family with only a halfdozen on the fiancee's side coming. hotels are pretty expensive but you chose well staying in waikoloa. my only recommendation would be to go kayaking in kealakekua bay, sunrise/sunset tour on maunakea, and of course the volcano nat'l park.
  • Options
    garyf91 thank you so much! We were really hoping to go to the Kona Brewers Fest but the tickets sold out in less than 48 hours! (wtf!) So the tour of the brewery will have to do.

I really wish we could kayak but I had a shoulder injury so that's out :( I can do a little bit of work but something like that would not be a fun honeymoon, to say the least. I've heard good things about the night snorkel with the manta rays; do you suggest it?

imageimage

• Options
    I've never done the night snorkel. I get the willies thinking about being around so many manta rays but if that floats your boat, go for it!  Speaking of the brewery festival, it sounds like you're a drinker. I know there was a booze cruise that goes out in kailua-kona bay for a couple hours. Not sure if that is still around (I think it's a bodyglove branded tour.)

Oh, I forgot to also mention that you should check out the da poke shack in kona. It made Yelp's #1 restaurant in america last year. http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/da-poke-shack-1-in-100-top-places-to-eat-in-us/24788716
  • Options
    Make sure you stop by costco for the cheapest water and the best pineapple.  While you are at costco you can pick up snacks and other things.
  • Options
    garyf91 said:
    I've never done the night snorkel. I get the willies thinking about being around so many manta rays but if that floats your boat, go for it!  Speaking of the brewery festival, it sounds like you're a drinker. I know there was a booze cruise that goes out in kailua-kona bay for a couple hours. Not sure if that is still around (I think it's a bodyglove branded tour.)

Oh, I forgot to also mention that you should check out the da poke shack in kona. It made Yelp's #1 restaurant in america last year. http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/da-poke-shack-1-in-100-top-places-to-eat-in-us/24788716
    I've read of that place! I can't wait, I love poke! and thanks for the suggestions!

starfish411 I wonder if they will let me in if I'm not already a member? I was reading about Queens Marketplace and how they have markets there but I bet Costco will be a lot cheaper

imageimage

• Options
    The membership is $55 for the year.  You have to decide if it is worth it for you.  I know for me it is because I buy gas there and it is usually 10 to 20 cents cheaper than everywhere else.  I also buy dry goods there as well because they don't go bad and I can not beat the cost and I have tried.  If you decided not to join my other suggestion would be to try the local grocery store.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards