New Jersey

What is the average budget for wedding invitations?

I have been viewing online sites daily for ideas and also been ordering lots of samples for inspiration, but at the end of the day I'm not sure what I'm looking at in terms of price is too high or normal.

What would you say your budgets are for invitations.
Keep in mind I am sending out around 110 invitations with the invite, response card, enclosure card (details & accomodations) and reception card so that seems to add up quickly

thanks for the insight!

Re: What is the average budget for wedding invitations?

• Personally I thin you get what you pay for. I orderd so many Samples online and was not wowed at all. The ones I ordered were under 3$ an invite. I ended up going to an etsy shop and the ones I ordered were 4.25 per invite. They come with a layered invitation, response card, reception card, detail card and a lace belly band. Very nice, price was good, and they look more elegant than the cookie cutter ones you get from online invitation sites. I ordered 125 invites and my price is around 525$ everyone I spoke to said that they paids between 500-700 for invites and ordered around 120-150. Hope this helps
  • Yes that helps, the ones i've sampled are from 5-7 for each set so that puts me at around 600-800 for 110 sets. When i read online i hear brides who found theirs for 200 and i'm like but where? 

I've tried so many sites and even samples from designers but nothing hit me, the one i do like is around 600 with a coupon code so i guess that is about average price?
  • ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I didn't need as many items in the invites as you, but ours were completely customized to our liking and we just didn't pick out of a catalog and change colors.  We had the invites, response cards, envelopes printed (both the response envelope and invite envelope), and liners.  It was about $600 after taxes.  We didn't need a reception card because everything was in one place and the accomodation card we used from the hotel.

ETA:  we had 130 invites.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks sounds like i am on around the same amount which is good to know!
  • @MissADS1981 My coworker spent under $200 for her invitations she went through David's Bridal...now just remember these invites tend to be on the more basic side......but they are nice....her's had a bow on them, nice font and color etc....so I would look into that ....again it all depends on what you want....if you want something different and 'out the box' then yes it is going to cost aprox $500+....I have seen some for $1,000+ if you can believe it lol .....

Good luck and keep us posted !! 
  • vvtadros41115 which Etsy shop did you go through?
  • Went to a very nice store that does custom invitations.  We were quoted  $1700 and what we wanted was pretty plain.  We went back and forth about this. I don't want to that much on invitations but also hear that it's the first impression of your wedding and the tone (formal vs informal, etc.).  I ended up going through minted.  It's a very simple invitation but I chose letterpress for the invite and then the matching but flat card for the RSVP card.  I also didn't need any of the extra cards and I'm just using the direction cards provided.  I feel like people lose these things or just toss them anyway so I thought it would be a good place to save some money.  There is a promo code for 15% off and free shipping and they also do free addressing.  Not sure if that's the norm or a special.  So 115 letterpress invitations, rsvp cards, and envelopes that are addressed, have return address and address for RSVP card included came to about $850 (which included sales tax).  Saved us 50%.  Hope they  look okay.
  • We ordered 100 invitations for just over $200.  Classic invitations with reception card, RSVP envelope (with preprinted return address), inner envelope and lined outer envelopes.  They were beautiful.
  • ii wound up going with weddingpaperdivas.com i got my invitation, rsvp card, enclosure card, return address on both envelopes and menus done for ~$800 for 115 of each.

in the end i must of viewed a dozen sites, got over 20 samples and wound up liking what i found there best. they were great to work with also. i got them in last week and love them. now to decide if i want to dress them up a little with some crafting extras or leave as is
  • Went to a very nice store that does custom invitations.  We were quoted  $1700 and what we wanted was pretty plain.  We went back and forth about this. I don't want to that much on invitations but also hear that it's the first impression of your wedding and the tone (formal vs informal, etc.).  I ended up going through minted.  It's a very simple invitation but I chose letterpress for the invite and then the matching but flat card for the RSVP card.  I also didn't need any of the extra cards and I'm just using the direction cards provided.  I feel like people lose these things or just toss them anyway so I thought it would be a good place to save some money.  There is a promo code for 15% off and free shipping and they also do free addressing.  Not sure if that's the norm or a special.  So 115 letterpress invitations, rsvp cards, and envelopes that are addressed, have return address and address for RSVP card included came to about $850 (which included sales tax).  Saved us 50%.  Hope they  look okay.
    I am looking to do this too, and I can't figure out how to order the flat inserts. Did you have to talk to someone to make a customized order?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did talk to someone and they sent me a link for it.  I did have a slight issue though.  The color on my letterpress looked totally different from the the flat card.  Now they are reprinting it all for me on letterpress free of charge.  They are taking the blame because they used different printers but I think that it could be possible that it would be off regardless.  So if you have two colors maybe do the rsvp card all in one color, the more neutral color.  Our colors are coral and gray.  So we had the ornate swirl thing on top in coral and our names in coral.  Everything else was gray.  On the RSVP we could have done it all in gray and not used coral and it wouldn't have been noticeable. 

Another thing I found out is that if you email the designer she can give you different fonts other than what you see.  I wanted our names to be in cursive so she sent me 3 different options.  I couldn't believe how accommodating they were. 
  • I just bought my invitations last week through Invitations by David's Bridal. I bought 100 invites, 100 RSVP cards, lined inner envelopes, 25 extra envelopes and preprinted RSVP envelopes with our return address on them for $409. I had searched through many sites and got tons of samples, and David's Bridal was my best option that was in my price range. My fiancé and I both agreed that we didn't want to spend a ton of money on something that people will eventually throw away. There's always coupons and deals that you can take advantage of, too. Definitely worth looking at!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like an invitation should be nice but I wouldn't say that an invitation is the first impression.  I have seen some a couple nice invitations and it was one of the worst weddings I have been too.  I think spending $500+ on invitations is a big waste- what do people do with them after the wedding is over if they even have it hanging on their fridge? They throw it out. I am most likely going simple and spending a little over $100 and putting the extra $400+ towards something else that is worth it.
  • in the end my invitations cost over 1k, by the time i added in postage and buying envelopments, had to get new mailing envolpes, etc.

i love how they are going to turn out but it is also something i wish i spent the time to find for less $. i ordered mine and when they arrived i felt they were still missing something. then i wanted to get pocket envelopes. more money. then my original envelopes didnt fit, more money. i paid to have return address on my original envelopes, wasted money. had to buy a stamp to do new return address on  new outer envelope, more money.

tip of advice: wait until you know exaclty what you want and do that from the beginning. i wish i did that.
  • i want to keep mine around 500$ i don't want to go to crazy, because i'm splurging on a few other things, and the invites are probably gonna go to recycling anyways, but i also want to make a good first impression! the invite suites are my fav but those are probably more expensive
  • There's a website called Just Invite Me... each month they give out 3 promo codes for 50% off of your entire order.  You just have to subscribe to their newsletter (only 2-3 emails a month).  The newsletter tells you the promo code the first week of the month.

They have really nice invitations and I'm going to order a few samples.  I'm considering them.

I also really liked the sample pack I got from Minted.  Hoping to keep the invitation suite at $650-$750, and I feel like that's still too much. 
  • Hi!

So as much as I wanted to be under the budget, I was hoping $1,000 for invitations, programs, and menus, I realized that it was not going to happen.. My invitations came out to $5.00 each, for 150 of them... Its so hard to budget, because everything adds up.. I ended up doing one insert for accommodation and reception info... Even websites like minted or wpd add up quickly!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards