Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Wedding Day Undergarments

I've almost purchased everything I will be wearing on my wedding day...except for items that go under the wedding gown. Looking for any and all suggestions on the best places to purchase these items.

Thanks in advance for your help! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Day Undergarments

• Options
    That's going to depend on your body and the style of your dress.

For example, do you need a functional bra, or does your dress have internal structure (or is something being sewn in)? Do you need strapless? Longline? Pushup?

Will you need shapewear (Spanx etc.) under your dress, or is it an a-line or ballgown with poof that you can wear something less sturdy with?

Are you an easy-to-fit size or do you need specialty bras? Are you petite? Plus size?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What amelisha said.

I wore regular Target underwear and Spanx shorts. No bra.

• Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    I wore regular underwear (generic cotton bikini-style) and one of these things.  

• Options
    I'd definitely love to help on this--I used to work in the Lingerie department in Nordstrom and we fit tons of brides. I always enjoyed fitting brides the most. 
  • Options
    Thanks all for the insight. My dress has a sweetheart neckline and has boning in the bodice of the dress. It is also a trumpet style gown so it is fitted over my hips. I'm a petite bride so I was thinking of possibly going without a bra or having something sewn in. I appreciate all of the help and suggestions thus far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My feeling with undergarments for the wedding dress was the less I had to wear the better.  I wore a pair of bikini style underwear (made sure that they didn't ride up my ass or cause severe wedgies) and that is it.  I didn't even have cups sewn into my dress because the bodice was already built pretty darn well on the inside that cups really wouldn't have made much of a difference.

• Options
    From the sounds of it, you'd probably be happiest with cups sewn into the dress (added coverage, added support, and a size boost if you want it) and some lighter Spanx-type underwear. If you're petite you might not want or need a ton of shaping or control, but one of the less heavy-duty pairs will make sure your dress sits on your body as nicely as possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to ditto what has been said. If you feel the need for some support, do the cups, but if not just wear nothing--fewer things to worry about. As far as underwear, it totally depends on the material of the dress, but if you want to wear full-coverage undies, be sure they are either very thin*(see below), or go over your hips and probably at least up to your bottom rib (like some shaping underwear). You don't want any lines. Shapers aren't always the best for materials like satin, or anything clingy, because they also tend to have thick seams with all that material. 

*Check out either Commando or the Hanky Panky "Bare" line for seamless underwear in different styles. I have personally never tried either, but people always said either of those brands were secure and didn't show lines. 
  • Options
    The sticky bra is amazing, but if it's really hot out or you sweat a lot- it starts to feel gross and can start to lose it's stickiness.  But they are amazing at squishing your boobs together for some extra cleavage! I'm debating using one for my wedding!
  • Options
    klk111415 said:
    The sticky bra is amazing, but if it's really hot out or you sweat a lot- it starts to feel gross and can start to lose it's stickiness.  But they are amazing at squishing your boobs together for some extra cleavage! I'm debating using one for my wedding!
    I could use any and all help I can get in the chest area! Thanks for the insight!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a 40G and was able to find an amazing strapless bra at Nordstrom's which I've worn for many other occasions then my wedding since it was a regular strapless bra. I loved it because I never feel the need to tug at it to pull it up. Yes, it was a little pricey, but when the girls get this big, any good bra is pricey. Even if I wasn't so large I would get my bra's ad Nordstrom because every associate in the bra department that I've ever dealt with has been amazing. And I will confess bra's are the only thing I buy from there. My budget is normally a Target/Old Navy budget but if you don't have good support, doesn't matter how good the rest of your outfit looks, you won't look good. (Plus Target doesn't carry my size bra, at least not in the store).
  • Options
    Erikan73 said:
    I'm a 40G and was able to find an amazing strapless bra at Nordstrom's which I've worn for many other occasions then my wedding since it was a regular strapless bra. I loved it because I never feel the need to tug at it to pull it up. Yes, it was a little pricey, but when the girls get this big, any good bra is pricey. Even if I wasn't so large I would get my bra's ad Nordstrom because every associate in the bra department that I've ever dealt with has been amazing. And I will confess bra's are the only thing I buy from there. My budget is normally a Target/Old Navy budget but if you don't have good support, doesn't matter how good the rest of your outfit looks, you won't look good. (Plus Target doesn't carry my size bra, at least not in the store).
    Yay! I love hearing Nordie success stories! When I started working there, I couldn't believe how expensive their lingerie was, but I bought all my bras from there after I learned about fitting and they are the best bras I have ever owned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards