Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Dresses under $500?

Is there any chance of finding a dress at a local store (Harrisburg - Carlisle - Gettysburg area) for under $500? If so, where? I just want something simple, yet classy, for a small, outdoor wedding.

I have this fear that if I call and ask before making an appointment, the salesperson will start laughing hysterically. Maybe I've seen one too many episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress!"

I know that ordering online is an option, but I think I really need to try dresses on to know what will work for me.

Re: Dresses under $500?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My dress was $99.00...and beautiful it was!  Try David's or Alfred Angelo's....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with David's Bridal (York). They have a wide range of dresses in wide range of prices.  At first I wasn't sure about going there. It was a big chain and I also am an avid say yes to the dress watcher. Plus 2 of my sisters had gone to a chic little bridal boutique. Well, they also spent twice as much on their dresses as I did.  I went online and checked out DBs dresses (stick with the the David's Bridal Collection, the other collections start above $500). I picked 10 that were in my price range and caught my interest.  When I had my appointment, I printed out the list & gave it to my consultant. She only pulled those dresses, so I knew I wouldn't go over budget.  While I did feel some of the fabrics/dresses looked/felt cheap, I fell in love with a dress.  And it was the one I liked the most online.  Two other good things about Davids Bridal - 1. The have a lot of sales (I got $50 off my dress). 2. They have most sizes in stock for each dress so you will try the dresses on in your size. No clips holding it on and you'll know what alterations you'll need ahead of time.  I think I'm only going to need mine hemmed. Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips! I'm feeling a bit more confident and will be starting the search next week!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to offer an update -- AND sing the praises of J&B Bridal in Chambersburg. I started my search at David's Bridal in Harrisburg, and the staff was helpful but nothing wowed me. Then I called J&B the next day. They were able to see me the same day, and the sales manager, Amy, was amazing. She pulled a bunch of dresses all in my price range, and I liked that she had me there beside her to offer my opinion as she was pulling the dresses. We thought the first one would be THE one, but then a few dresses later, I found one that I liked even more, and I ended up buying it on sale. Amy also offered genuine opinions about each dress that I really felt I could trust -- and came up with a lovely design to add some straps to my strapless dress.

I also like that they give you the option of working with their contracted seamstress on your own, instead of through the store, and therefore saving about 25 percent on alterations.

Everyone in the store was so pleasant and helpful. I highly recommend J&B no matter what your gown budget!

I ended up buying a dress right there in the store, rather than ordering one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards