Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gofundme?

We don't really need any more stuff in our apartment (any more stuff, we won't be able to fit ourselves in there). Everyone keeps asking what we need or where are we registering? Actually, the only thing we want and need in order to grow our family is a house. so instead of registering for gifts, we discussed possibly starting a go fund me account to get a down payment on a property. We know that we tell only our close family and friends and if anyone else asks them they can tell them. What are your thoughts and feelings about this?

Re: Gofundme?

• Options
    It's tacky. Please don't do this. We didn't need anything so we didn't register. People that wanted to give us gifts gave us money.
  • Options
    tacky.

People know money is an option.   We are not stupid.   In my family physical gifts are for showers.  Most people give cash for weddings.  

On another note:   Why pay 7.9% PLUS 30 cents a donation to a 3rd party when people can just give you cash on their own with no fees?

It's basic economics 101.

If you don't need anything do not have a shower. Showers are give giving events.  Not give me a pile of cash events.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    No. Don't do this. I would just not register or have a small registry and if people ask you can just say you are saving for a house. Simple as that. Do not straight up ask for cash/money. It WILL be perceived as rude.
  • Options
    I thought a honeymoon registry was the was worst kind of registry.  I take that back.  A gofundme account is even worse!  Please don't do this.  Don't register at all (or have a small registry of upgrades as some people will probably want to give you a physical gift).....most people will know that cash is preferred!  Oh, and decline all offers of a shower if you don't want physical gifts!
  • Options
    This is so tacky and rude!  Just don't register anywhere and people will give you cash anyways.  

• Options
    I love giving people gifts. I decline invitations that even hint at cash. 

There's a big difference between giving somebody a great antique or a cool painting or a really extra nice set of bath towels, and being asked to help buy them real estate. 

A wedding isn't a fundraiser. The minute you do something that makes it seem like a fundraiser, people are going to feel used, as if you're totaling dollar amounts with your RSVPs.

There's absolutely no nice way to ask people for money. 
  • Options
    Ye gods and little fishes.

• Options
    Sorry dear, that is tacky as fuck.

Don't register. Most people will give you cash. When Aunt Joanne comes up to and asks where you're registered, go "Oh, we didn't register anywhere, but we are saving up for a new home!" People will figure out you want cash.

I had a decent sized registry, and the vast majority of our wedding gifts was cash. People loving throwing money at newlyweds, but would prefer to do it without the flashing neon sign.

And of course there is no shower if there is no physical registry.

Anniversary
  • Options

If you don't plan on registering anywhere when people ask about gifts just tell them that right now you have everything that you have room for in your current home but hopefully within a year or so after the wedding you'll be getting a house. This way you aren't saying outright, give me cash, but most people will get the hint & give you cash/check for a gift.

Registeries are more for the bridal shower I think then wedding gifts, so if you know if anyone plans on giving you a shower, you may want to register for a few small things so that way you at least get stuff you want instead of people deciding for you and you end up with 40 spatula's to return.

• Options
    So bad, so so BAD! Can't believe people even consider doing a cash registry
  • Options
    Gofundme is FUNDRAISING. Like for charity. I am well aware that people use it for whatever the fuck they want, but you are not a charity. 
  • Options
    You are a bride, not a charity. Your wedding is not a fundraiser, and gifts you receive are not donations. 

"Registering" for money is gross and rude.
  • Options
    TACKY. 

Everyone knows money is a good present. If people say "where are you registered?" just say "we really don't need anything, but we're saving up for a down payment on a house." They will get the picture. 

The difference between doing that and doing a GoFundMe, is that people are coming to YOU and asking to give you a present. GoFundMe is you asking GUESTS for presents - and worse, money. It's tacky.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards