Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Long Distance Newlyweds

edited February 2015 in Budget Weddings Forum

Hi ladies!

I am a law student and my fiancé is a young electrician so naturally, our wedding is happening on a budget. As an aspiring attorney, I truly value social justice and want to spend my career fighting for it. Wonderfully enough, I have been offered an internship for this summer with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to work on their Capital Punishment Project in Durham, NC!!! I'm super excited!

The catch, however, is this: My fiancé and I live in St. Louis, MO. We get married on May 16, 2015. My internship begins on June 1, 2015. That gives my soon-to-be husband and I about 2 or 3 solid weeks together as a married couple before I leave for the summer. :-/

We're looking for help raising enough money for us to visit each other on the weekends.

If any of you could be of any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated! We're just young and in love and trying to change the world together. PLEASE HELP!!!

-KHud, Bride <3

-link removed by moderator-

Re: Long Distance Newlyweds

• Options
    edited February 2015

Hi ladies!

I am a law student and my fiancé is a young electrician so naturally, our wedding is happening on a budget. As an aspiring attorney, I truly value social justice and want to spend my career fighting for it. Wonderfully enough, I have been offered an internship for this summer with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to work on their Capital Punishment Project in Durham, NC!!! I'm super excited!

The catch, however, is this: My fiancé and I live in St. Louis, MO. We get married on May 16, 2015. My internship begins on June 1, 2015. That gives my soon-to-be husband and I about 2 or 3 solid weeks together as a married couple before I leave for the summer. :-/

We're looking for help raising enough money for us to visit each other on the weekends.

If any of you could be of any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated! We're just young and in love and trying to change the world together. PLEASE HELP!!!

-KHud, Bride <3

Edited to remove link

JIC

I want to be nice but...

We all need money. I've been doing long distance with my FI since September. We see each other once every 3-4 weeks, because that's what we can afford. I suggest doing what you can afford and not begging for money. I feel your pain, long distance is hard... but begging for money online is not the answer, especially not on TK where most posters particularly despise rude, tacky attempts at cash grabbing. 
    --

• Options
    Posts soliciting money are not allowed on these boards, so I removed the link.

My cousin went to vet school outside of the US while her new husband was in boot camp in Arkansas. They got their own stuff together and figured it out like grownups.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you that you think this is an ok thing to do?

My husband is active duty military. Before we got married, we spent three years as a long distance couple so I could finish graduate school, and he spent a chunk of that time in freaking Afghanistan.

Oh, and guess what, we are STILL long distance because I can't get a decent job offer where he is stationed. I have a dream job right now, yet I spent most evenings applying to jobs near him. Talk about tough and demoralizing. And the Army gives nonefucks about our long distance status. Oh ,and later this year he is going to Afghanistan for nine months AGAIN.

But we fucking save and live modestly so we can manage to go see each other. That's fucking life and that's what fucking adults do - save for the things that are important. I don't go to happy hours with my friends so I can go see my husband. I have given up some of my hobbies so I can go see my husband. I desperately save up PTO so I can go see my husband. I live in a crappy tiny apartment so I can go see my husband.

Seriously, you should be so ashamed of yourself. I find it so ironic that you're doing an ACLU internship. You apparently wish to dedicate your life to protecting others, yet see no problem with begging money off strangers to fix your first world problem of having a great opportunity. Grow the hell up. This is disgusting.

ETA: I'm also annoyed that you're from my hometown - this post is such a bad representation of STL. 

I'm also from STL and when I first started reading, I was like, cool, another STL bride. And then I kept reading... And was horrified. Fwiw, no gofundme/honeyfund/cash bar tacky shit will be done by this STL bride.

• Options
    Wow. There's a trophy that should be awarded to OP. I'm just not sure what it is.

Anniversary

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    You're fucking kidding me. Adults get married. Adults pay for their own stuff and don't solicit strangers from the Internet.

You are clearly not an adult. Whoever told you this was a good idea, you should punch them in the face. And if you thought it was a good idea... Well if the shoe fits.

Young and in love and trying to change the world. *yawn* gonna need something far better than that to inspire my wallet.

• Options
    I really wish I could've seen her gofundme.com page though. Just for my own personal amusement.

• Options

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you that you think this is an ok thing to do?

My husband is active duty military. Before we got married, we spent three years as a long distance couple so I could finish graduate school, and he spent a chunk of that time in freaking Afghanistan.

Oh, and guess what, we are STILL long distance because I can't get a decent job offer where he is stationed. I have a dream job right now, yet I spent most evenings applying to jobs near him. Talk about tough and demoralizing. And the Army gives nonefucks about our long distance status. Oh ,and later this year he is going to Afghanistan for nine months AGAIN.

But we fucking save and live modestly so we can manage to go see each other. That's fucking life and that's what fucking adults do - save for the things that are important. I don't go to happy hours with my friends so I can go see my husband. I have given up some of my hobbies so I can go see my husband. I desperately save up PTO so I can go see my husband. I live in a crappy tiny apartment so I can go see my husband.

Seriously, you should be so ashamed of yourself. I find it so ironic that you're doing an ACLU internship. You apparently wish to dedicate your life to protecting others, yet see no problem with begging money off strangers to fix your first world problem of having a great opportunity. Grow the hell up. This is disgusting.

ETA: I'm also annoyed that you're from my hometown - this post is such a bad representation of STL. 

applause animated GIF
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Hahahahaha, oh wait.  You're serious.

You're a fucking adult.  Pay for your own wedding.  If you're this entitled about a wedding, I'm not sure how well you'll do in the social justice field. 

• Options

Hi ladies!

-KHud, Bride <3

Sorry, girl. You made the decision you did. Will it suck? Sure? Will it be worth it? Hopefully. But it's not anyone else's problem to fix.
  • Options
    The (almost) grossest part is that OP will probably never be back. She probably posted this on 15 sites and only cares if people give their money to her. She will never know and never care that she made a complete ass of herself.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Hi ladies!

-KHud, Bride <3

The fuck?  You're panhandling for money on a wedding site?  Because you can't stand to be apart for a summer but aren't willing or able to pay to fly back and forth on the weekends?  You should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Options
    The (almost) grossest part is that OP will probably never be back. She probably posted this on 15 sites and only cares if people give their money to her. She will never know and never care that she made a complete ass of herself.
    I almost guarantee that's exactly what happened.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

I almost guarantee that's exactly what happened.

But on the bright side, not a single person on any of the sites she posted this gave her a dime.
  • Options
    Is this real life???

Whenever I see one of these posts (which is one too many in the last week) I want to post that  "HELP ME, I'M POOR" gif from bridesmaids. But my work computer won't allow it. So if someone else could do it for me...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Holy fucking shit. 

• Options
    A summer? Really?

I mean, no matter the length of time, still inappropriate as fuck.

But...

Really? ONE FUCKING SUMMER?!

• Options
    levioosa said:

YESSSSSS thank you :smile:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Absolutely disgusting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards