Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal Shower Gift for Bridezilla?

I have only been lurking on this board and The Bump recently but hope you will still share some of your thoughts on the following:

My cousin has become a complete bridezilla when it comes to her wedding.  First, she told all of her bridesmaids (myself included) not to be pregnant at her wedding that was planned in about 16 months.  Then one of her bridesmaid told her  that she plans to start trying to conceive and might be pregnant at the wedding. The bride flips out, cancels her local wedding plans, is still angry with her bridesmaid (even now, months later), and eventually plans a destination wedding because “it’s less work”.  To help her during the whole wedding planning process, I have been her confidante and intervened when the other bridesmaids were causing her stress.  

Consistent with the bride not wanting to do much work for her wedding: she sends out a Facebook event invite for her destination wedding to get people’s addresses,  then gets the addresses to her travel agent a month before the deadline to book travel through the wedding block so the travel agent can send the free save the dates (which my cousin is calling the invitations) 6 months before the event date – which also clearly state that a formal invitation will follow, and then was freaking out because (1) nobody was booking travel by the deadline – there wasn’t an RSVP date on the save the date (of course) and (2) the turn out isn’t what she is expected (travel plans are over $5,000 per couple for 7 days plus air fare for the all-inclusive resort).  Around this time, I find out that I am unexpectedly but happily pregnant to which she reacts to coldly but I’m okay with it since I was never going to alter planning my family for her wedding. 

Fast forward to her bridal shower, her MOH and MOH’s sidekick (the bridesmaid that the bride is mad at) have never planned a shower before and the bride is really worried.  I offer to whatever assistance I can provide as someone out of town, which no one accepts except when they ask me at the last minute to take over the shower when nothing has been decided or planned.  I decline completely planning an out of town bridal shower that I will be 8.5 months pregnant at and tell the bride that I just can’t attend the shower either (Trying to figure out how to travel 6 hours away and not take any vacation time from work, plus dealing with the deadbeat bridesmaids).  She freaks out and has stopped talking to me.

I had a lot of issues with the little bit of shower planning had taken place anyways.  It really bothered me that she expected her bridesmaids to put more effort into planning her shower than the effort she was putting into her own wedding.  And, she invited 30 people to her destination wedding but included long list of people not invited to the wedding on her guest list for the shower, including people she didn’t even like.  The bride was also insisting on including a tacky poem with the invitations that told guests that she wanted cash gifts.  I did advise against the poem before we had a falling out.  I saw from the back of the shower invitation that she had created a honeyfund account with items for her destination wedding/honeymoon at very inflated numbers.  I looked at her honeyfund registry and I can’t even make an online gift but instead still have to write a check out and send it or give it to her in person.  I’m not really sure what the point of honeyfund other than being a weird front for her to tally what she can expect in cash gifts.

I feel like I have to give her a gift since she was a bridesmaid in my wedding.  I doubt I will ever hear from her again because she has long history of holding grudges.  Would it be poor taste to skip giving her a bridal shower gift since the event has been such a sore subject and just roll that shower gift/cash into what I feel like I should give her as a wedding gift?

Sorry about the long post!  This has been bothering me for quite some time. 

Re: Bridal Shower Gift for Bridezilla?

• Options
    Etiquette book and/or giant chicken. 
    Totally agree.

This

And this
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

@MGP, about 15 people.  The people are going are the mothers of the bride and groom, the brother of the bride, my parents (my mom insisted even though my dad - the family breadwinner - had just gotten laid off...smh), my sister and her husband, the MOH and husband, Best Man, and a handful of the groom's friends. 

Love the idea of the ettitquette book, chicken, and gift card :)

• Options
    Is this even a friendship you are interested in maintaining at all?  If I were you I would have peaced out of that situation a long time ago.  You do not have to get a present for a shower you are not attending.  Lots of people who lived out of state were not able to make my shower.  While some (like my grandmother) still sent a gift, it was not required or expected. 
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I stopped reading halfway through...but I beg you to send your cousin to us. Tell her we are super helpful and supportive and will totally flame her self centered bridesmaid trying to make a family. We will set her straight. :)
  • Options

I have only been lurking on this board and The Bump recently but hope you will still share some of your thoughts on the following:

My cousin has become a complete bridezilla when it comes to her wedding.  First, she told all of her bridesmaids (myself included) not to be pregnant at her wedding that was planned in about 16 months.  Then one of her bridesmaid told her  that she plans to start trying to conceive and might be pregnant at the wedding. The bride flips out, cancels her local wedding plans, is still angry with her bridesmaid (even now, months later), and eventually plans a destination wedding because “it’s less work”.  To help her during the whole wedding planning process, I have been her confidante and intervened when the other bridesmaids were causing her stress.  

Consistent with the bride not wanting to do much work for her wedding: she sends out a Facebook event invite for her destination wedding to get people’s addresses,  then gets the addresses to her travel agent a month before the deadline to book travel through the wedding block so the travel agent can send the free save the dates (which my cousin is calling the invitations) 6 months before the event date – which also clearly state that a formal invitation will follow, and then was freaking out because (1) nobody was booking travel by the deadline – there wasn’t an RSVP date on the save the date (of course) and (2) the turn out isn’t what she is expected (travel plans are over $5,000 per couple for 7 days plus air fare for the all-inclusive resort).  Around this time, I find out that I am unexpectedly but happily pregnant to which she reacts to coldly but I’m okay with it since I was never going to alter planning my family for her wedding. 

Fast forward to her bridal shower, her MOH and MOH’s sidekick (the bridesmaid that the bride is mad at) have never planned a shower before and the bride is really worried.  I offer to whatever assistance I can provide as someone out of town, which no one accepts except when they ask me at the last minute to take over the shower when nothing has been decided or planned.  I decline completely planning an out of town bridal shower that I will be 8.5 months pregnant at and tell the bride that I just can’t attend the shower either (Trying to figure out how to travel 6 hours away and not take any vacation time from work, plus dealing with the deadbeat bridesmaids).  She freaks out and has stopped talking to me.

I had a lot of issues with the little bit of shower planning had taken place anyways.  It really bothered me that she expected her bridesmaids to put more effort into planning her shower than the effort she was putting into her own wedding.  And, she invited 30 people to her destination wedding but included long list of people not invited to the wedding on her guest list for the shower, including people she didn’t even like.  The bride was also insisting on including a tacky poem with the invitations that told guests that she wanted cash gifts.  I did advise against the poem before we had a falling out.  I saw from the back of the shower invitation that she had created a honeyfund account with items for her destination wedding/honeymoon at very inflated numbers.  I looked at her honeyfund registry and I can’t even make an online gift but instead still have to write a check out and send it or give it to her in person.  I’m not really sure what the point of honeyfund other than being a weird front for her to tally what she can expect in cash gifts.

I feel like I have to give her a gift since she was a bridesmaid in my wedding.  I doubt I will ever hear from her again because she has long history of holding grudges.  Would it be poor taste to skip giving her a bridal shower gift since the event has been such a sore subject and just roll that shower gift/cash into what I feel like I should give her as a wedding gift?

Sorry about the long post!  This has been bothering me for quite some time. 

If you feel the need to give her a gift, then you may do so.  For a shower, it should be a physical gift.  Showering a person with cash, which is what honeyfund does, can be accomplished at any strip club. 

A gift should never be expected just because you were invited to a shower, unless you attend it.  And wedding gifts are also optional, even if you attend it.  So do what you would like to do.

• Options

Etiquette book and/or giant chicken. 

Agreed. Anything but cash. Have you been kicked out of the wedding party yet? She sounds like the type.
  • Options

@antoto, my cousin and I were really close so it does  make me sad that we had a falling out.  However, I don't think I did anything wrong for her about. 

@mlg78 Yeah. . . my post was really long, sorry!  I would LOVE to send my cousin and her deadbeat bridesmaid to this board!  However, her coming here would probably fall under "too much work".  :)

• Options

@OliveOilsMom - Love your strip club comment!

@lizabobiza - Well, I had told her that I couldn't make it to her wedding because I was pregnant so I think that's when I stopped being part of the wedding party.  Except when it came to her shower, of course ;)

• Options
    MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Chiwatkins said: @OliveOilsMom - Love your strip club comment!@lizabobiza - Well, I had told her that I couldn't make it to her wedding because I was pregnant so I think that's when I stopped being part of the wedding party.  Except when it came to her shower, of course ;) ---------

By the way, a bride who moves the date of her wedding due to someone else's plans to procreate is CRAZY PANTS.  Sorry you are related to this crazy.  :)
  • Options
    So her only registry is Honeyfund? And she's having a shower? *eyebrow raise*

I would get her some random physical gift (since showers are for physical gifts) - like a bottle of wine with a wine holder and cute wine stopper. I'd also include a cheese board with some cheese knives. Seriously, that's probably what I'd give if I were attending a shower cash grab like this. 

But more practically, I would drop out of this wedding all together. Cut your losses now. Just tell her you can't afford it (no one can argue with money) and that you wish them well. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would send her a gift basket of actual honeymoon gifts, like beach towels, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. It's better than she deserves, but I'd make it cute as hell and have it gifted to her at the actual shower, so that when she spreads her crazy and tries to bitch about you to other people, they'll know she's full of it.

She's a piece of crap and you don't owe her anything. It sucks that she's a relative, but you shouldn't feel bad about the end of a relationship with someone who acts like this.  
  • Options
    This is all so gross.  A honeyfund with purposefully inflated price points? Blech!

Run far away, as fast as you can, OP. 

I second sending her an etiquette book.  This is all ridiculous.  I can't believe she moved her whole wedding because *gasp* someone might be pregnant!

• Options
    I know that spite is not a good reason to get pregnant, but I kinda feel like in this particular case I would do it.

Also, I kinda zoned out half-way through and skimmed the rest.  Not 100% sure of the actual question, but I'm reasonably certain that the correct answer is "No, you do not need to indulge the rude and crazy - save your money."
  • Options
    Give her a garbage can. She's gonna need something to hold all the empty cards other people send her.

• Options
    I vote no gift. Especially if you have any plans of attending the actual wedding - so much money!!! You're already spending an insane amount to be part of this event.
  • Options

Thanks for the validation, ladies!

My mother and sister think my cousin is behaving just fine.   Not sure how I came out of this family.

• Options
    @oliveoilsmom I about spit my tea out when I read your strib club comment!

I would probably take @mynameisnot's suggestion and send a gift of things she can use on the honeymoon with someone who is going so everyone knows bride is crazypants when she complains about you.  Either that or send nothing.  Much as I like an etiquette book I wouldn't be up for the backlash ;)

And changing your wedding because someone *MIGHT* be pregnant?  Seriously?  And I did (sort of, nothing was booked) move my wedding because my sister *actually* got pregnant and wouldn't have been able to fly/attend (we live far away from one another) if we'd kept our original timeline, and it was more important to me that my sister be able to be there than to have a shorter engagement.
  • Options
    All of this craziness and your question is what gift to give her? You are an absolute doll. Congrats on your pregnancy!

You're not going to the wedding (how is planning a DW easier than planning local??), you're not a part of the bridal party, you're not going to the shower. Gifts are never required of course but you have about as much reason to get her a gift as I do.

Since she's your cousin and you want to keep the family peace, I'd send a holiday-related gift like @MyNameIsNot suggested. That way it's close to what she asking for without indulging the honeyfund nonsense.
    But I'd be very tempted to send an etiquette book instead.
  • Options
    I call MUD. This is like a conglomeration of everything that gets E board talking. I'm pretty sure this isn't real.
  • Options

@Wegl13 - I wish this was MUD.  Unfortunately, true which makes it especially hurtful to me and a somewhat delicate situation since I was close to the bride before she has become a complete  bridezilla.

Below is from the bride's honeyfund website, which really made me embarrassed for her and completely dissolved any desire I had to send her a shower gift.  Btw, the "honeymoon" listed is her destination wedding and as of a couple of months ago her fiancée wanted to take a honeymoon separate from the destination wedding trip, which is fine but the honeyfund listing is for their wedding.

As many of you know, we already own a home together, and we are fortunate to have been blessed with all the traditional household items we would need. Having said that, we decided to make all of you a part of what we are calling, "Our Trip Of A Lifetime!" While Ryan and I have taken many exciting trips together, we are very much looking forward to our first real adventure as husband and wife. We thought having our friends and family help us create an unforgettable honeymoon was a wonderful alternative to a traditional registry.

We greatly appreciate and will fondly remember these gifts for years to come. We promise we'll do our best to take plenty of pictures to share with all of you!

The bolded portion from her honeyfund website is what really bothers me.  Yeah. . . thanks for granting your friends and family an opportunity to be "part" of your "trip of a lifetime". 

• Options
    annathy03 said:
    And changing your wedding because someone *MIGHT* be pregnant?  Seriously?  

My thoughts exactly.  The bride didn't even change her wedding like you did, because she wanted the bridesmaid to be in or at the wedding, but because she was really angry then wanted to wash her hands of the whole wedding.  I listened to her rants about how her wedding was a disaster and a pain. By the way, this was 11 months out from her original wedding date and the only event planning she had done was securing the wedding venue.

I bit my tongue and never reminded her that I had chosen to move my wedding plans from the mountains of VA to Baltimore 7 months out from my wedding date since the VA venue was being ridiculously hard to work with and it was clear that they were homophobic (I'm not part of a same sex couple but several members of our family and a handful of friends are). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards