Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

When do I write these thank you notes?

I had my bridal shower over the weekend (SO much fun!!) and have almost finished writing my thank you notes.  However, a couple of people gave me notes/printouts of the gift they're shipping me.  Do I write/send a thank you note today based off the printout they gave me at my shower, or do I wait until I actually receive the gift?  Thanks!

Re: When do I write these thank you notes?

• Options
    Wait until you receive it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Thanks!  That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure since they gave me a printout of the gift.  Thanks!

• Options
    Yep, wait. 
  • Options
    Another vote for wait. 
  • Options
    Wait.  What if the package goes missing or something otherwise goes wrong?  It's an awkward situation to say "Hey, you know that thing I sort of insinuated I already had and thanked you for?  It never showed up."
  • Options
    I would not send an a thank you note for a gift that has not showed up.  I would personally side eye the person who comes to a shower without a gift having already been received by the bride.  If it is being sent to you due to back log or if the person was away then fine but I am personally shocked you say you have more than one person who did this.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would not send an a thank you note for a gift that has not showed up.  I would personally side eye the person who comes to a shower without a gift having already been received by the bride.  If it is being sent to you due to back log or if the person was away then fine but I am personally shocked you say you have more than one person who did this.  

It's not that odd to me - they ended up getting them shipped (probably realized it would be cumbersome to carry the gift to the shower or take it on the metro), so they gave me BB&B slips with what the gift is.  One of them also gave me chocolates.  I didn't side eye it at all, actually.  I had 1 person not give a gift at all - I also didn't side eye that.  I was SO excited she came at all (she lives out of state).  She took a bus and surprised me (although the hosts knew she was coming), and I was just so happy to see her for the first time in months!  Her presence was more than enough of a present.

Also, the gifts may have actually already arrived.  My registry gifts go to my parents house since I live in a condo without a doorman and my dad works from home.  My dad said I have a couple things, but I don't know what they are or who they're from.  I'll get them tomorrow.

• Options
    jacques27 said:
    Wait.  What if the package goes missing or something otherwise goes wrong?  It's an awkward situation to say "Hey, you know that thing I sort of insinuated I already had and thanked you for?  It never showed up."
    I never even thought of that!!  Thank you!  I decided to wait until I got the gifts, but this is something I never thought of
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

It's not that odd to me - they ended up getting them shipped (probably realized it would be cumbersome to carry the gift to the shower or take it on the metro), so they gave me BB&B slips with what the gift is.  One of them also gave me chocolates.  I didn't side eye it at all, actually.  I had 1 person not give a gift at all - I also didn't side eye that.  I was SO excited she came at all (she lives out of state).  She took a bus and surprised me (although the hosts knew she was coming), and I was just so happy to see her for the first time in months!  Her presence was more than enough of a present.

Also, the gifts may have actually already arrived.  My registry gifts go to my parents house since I live in a condo without a doorman and my dad works from home.  My dad said I have a couple things, but I don't know what they are or who they're from.  I'll get them tomorrow.

If they arrived at your parents house then you technically received the gifts....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

If they arrived at your parents house then you technically received the gifts....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you don't even know yet if they have arrived, you should wait until you know for sure. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

I don't know if those are the gifts that arrived.  My dad called yesterday to say I got a couple packages, but I don't know what they are.  They could be wedding gifts from someone else, or shower gifts from someone who couldn't make it.  All I know is that there are packages at the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards