Wedding Etiquette Forum

No no no no no

edited February 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
My aunt sent me this tonight to "give me some ideas".

No. 

This is why so many brides think stuff like this is ok 

I think I saw maybe two on this list that would fly. Otherwise....

Re: No no no no no

• Oh that's awful.
  • I didn't even get through #1 without mentally going:

• Who raised these people? On what planet is this not digusting and greedy

• You all would have heard the Come to Jesus meeting with any of my girls who would have thought that was a good idea.
  • Oh, my! I'd be horrified if someone in my family sent this to me and thought these were "good ideas." Did you reply back to her?
  • @levioosa your gif was absolutely captivating me. I sat there for 5 minutes trying to figure out how all the papers got back into his hand so seamlessly. 

I am not even going to lie. I would totally register for a tote bag full of puppies. (I would not register for the cash to purchase the puppies. Take out the middle man and just give me the puppies.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • The "register for money towards a future pet" one has me like

It's one bad thing to crowd fund your honeymoon. But it's another if you cannot afford a pet, a living creature, and register for it. Would you also have to register for neutering, shots, food, toys, etc.? And I hate to think of what would happen if the couple realized they couldn't afford the pet without money from others . . .

Also, there are some people in the comments talking about fiscal responsibility, but the more popular comments are calling these people "judgemental." Somebody take my keyboard away from me, pronto.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• This is why so many brides go crazy thinking they have to have this or that. A wedding is already "gift optional". Including that phrasing on anything wedding related is like saying "I expect you to get me a gift but you don't have to get me xyz..." Ridiculous
  • OK just got to this: "Consider making your wedding gift-optional if people have to spend money to travel from afar." 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate it when people treat their wedding like it's something they can "break even" on, like "oh we spent x for the wedding but it's okay because we raised y for the honeymoon!" We get it that you're trying to "save money," we're all climbing out of this recession, but the whole reason most recessions and depressions start is because people live beyond their means. Smh.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I hate it when people treat their wedding like it's something they can "break even" on, like "oh we spent x for the wedding but it's okay because we raised y for the honeymoon!" We get it that you're trying to "save money," we're all climbing out of this recession, but the whole reason most recessions and depressions start is because people live beyond their means. Smh.
    Exactly!
  • futuremrsjms ha I just said FI and I have already taken care of that aspect of our planning (we are registering for puppies...duh*) but thanks for having us in mind. 

*sarcasm. JIC
  • littlepep said:
    "5. Ask your guests to contribute cash to your home downpayment. Giving cash is a hotly contested wedding etiquette issue, but sometimes practicality overrides social rules."

You mean ASKING. Giving cash is ok. Asking for it is not. 

I just copied this same quote. I just love that being "practical" means etiquette can be thrown out the window and you can be rude to your loved ones.
  • Okay, so some of these are obvious: asking for money for a b or c is ridiculous and tacky. Got it!

But what's wrong with the simple registry thingamajig? Is it because you're asking (probably) for stupid selfish stuff?

And actually some of the "tips" at the very end seem to actually be okay (don't register for fancy cookware if you don't cook, register for lower-end gifts as well so you're not trying to get everyone to spend $$$) 

Although seriously, if I could register for more kitties, I might...(kidding, kidding!!!)
  • Haha, you guys are fine, the context here on the Knot is a lot different from the entitlement oozing from that Buzzfeed article. Surround yourself with as many kitties and puppies as you please. :)

• edited February 2015
    rcher912 The issue with Simple Registry is that the bride and groom are not receiving the actual gift, but rather the amount of money the gift cost. 

For example, let's say I have registered for a $25.00 toaster on Simple Registry, and you purchase it for me. I will not be receiving the toaster, but rather a check for $25.00 (presumably to buy said toaster). 

Obviously, I am sure you can see how this could be taken advantage of by a couple and/or misleading to guests.

Also, I couldn't find this information, but I would be wary that Simple Registry may be one of those sites that keeps a percentage of the "gift" like Honeyfund does. 

From Simple Registry's website:
    All Gifts Redeemed as Cash – When the wedding is over all gifts are redeemed directly as cash for the ultimate in flexibility. Newer model of that camera since the registry was created? Different color of that blender desired? No problem! Couples tell us when they’re ready to receive their gifts and we send them a check or deposit funds directly to their checking or PayPal account. -
  • Ugh, there's a knottie over on Registering and Gifts who doesn't understand why Zola and Blueprint are rude.  You guys should go help her out. 

• I think the biggest thing that bugs me with all these registry "avenues" is they all take a cut- they are a business, and should make money (obviously), but they are making money off of the B&G/ guests. 

If I want to give someone money (so they can buy a camera, go on a honeymoon, put it towards a down payment, buy puppies and kitties...) I'll give them cash!

That's the thing with cash- everyone know it's a good gift, and when it's received the B&G can use it however they please- you don't need a cheesy honeyfund registry to put a cash gift towards your honeymoon. 
  • rcher912 The issue with Simple Registry is that the bride and groom are not receiving the actual gift, but rather the amount of money the gift cost. 

For example, let's say I have registered for a $25.00 toaster on Simple Registry, and you purchase it for me. I will not be receiving the toaster, but rather a check for $25.00 (presumably to buy said toaster). 

Obviously, I am sure you can see how this could be taken advantage of by a couple and/or misleading to guests.

Also, I couldn't find this information, but I would be wary that Simple Registry may be one of those sites that keeps a percentage of the "gift" like Honeyfund does. 

From Simple Registry's website:
    All Gifts Redeemed as Cash – When the wedding is over all gifts are redeemed directly as cash for the ultimate in flexibility. Newer model of that camera since the registry was created? Different color of that blender desired? No problem! Couples tell us when they’re ready to receive their gifts and we send them a check or deposit funds directly to their checking or PayPal account. -
    ahhh, that makes much more sense. I didn't realize you didn't get the physical gifts somehow. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards