Chit Chat

Am I off base?

Posting this because I know knotties will tell it to me straight so I can avoid potentially embarrassing myself on FB.

Friend posted a link about a campaign to eliminate government tax on menstrual products in Canada. There are a lot of things that are exempt from government tax including food, kid's clothes, formula, vitamins. DH commented saying he was confused because he thought all consumable items were taxable. Friend responded that condoms were exempt from government tax and that she considers the fact that condoms are tax exempt but tampons not to be an anti-woman issue.

I don't want to start a huge FB debate but I think the condom argument is a poor one because condoms protect both men and women from STIs and unwanted pregnancy. That yes, condoms are worn by men but benefits of condom use apply to men and women. Prescription birth control is tax exempt, and not all women can take hormonal birth control, so I think it makes sense that condoms are tax exempt. 

So, if I post a more eloquent version of this argument on FB will I be making an ass of myself?

Anniversary

Re: Am I off base?

• I think the analogy of condoms to BC is a much stronger analogy than the one she's giving with tampons and menstrual pads. They serve essentially the same major function (preventing unwanted pregnancies).

I still say stay out of it, buuuuut that's just my general aversion to Facebook debates.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My take would be not that it's a women's issue, it's just a personal hygiene choice. Are men's razors tax exempt? Toilet paper? I'm guessing no. These aren't providing a necessary wellness benefit like formula and vitamins... you don't NEED to use these particular items for your health, and not everyone benefits from them. Condoms aren't included for men's health or convenience, they're included out of concern for public health.

So I don't really know what the most eloquent argument is, but I agree with you.

• Thanks ladies. I don't usually engage in FB arguments but the comments people are posting on this one make me cringe.

Anniversary
  • mrscomposermrscomposer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015

Mmmm... also, I just googled, and according to a document published by the BC government in 2013, condoms ARE taxable.

ETA: 'document' is a link.  Also, I agree with you.  And Lolo.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Mmmm... also, I just googled, and according to a document published by the BC government in 2013, condoms ARE taxable.

ETA: 'document' is a link.  Also, I agree with you.  And Lolo.

Thanks. Evidently condoms have no GST. I couldn't find legit proof of that, just blogs/ non-government websites saying it's true.

Anniversary
  • I disagree, actually. It's demonstrably more expensive to be a woman (products marketed toward women cost more than the same size/type marketed to men) and having to buy tampons and/or pads is part of that. I have never been in a situation where I flat-out couldn't afford them, but I understand many women in poverty have that experience. How much would it suck to have to choose between that and food? Ugh.

So yeah, if food, vitamins, etc. are not taxed, I don't think menstrual products should be. It's not like they're some sort of luxury item. They're IMO more necessary than vitamins anyway.
  • blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    My personal rule is the second you engage in a Facebook argument, you lose. No matter how eloquent. Keep in mind that your friend, all her friends, and all the friends of people who commented can see the argument. Is this worth the fight? Some times its just worth an eye roll ya know
    This x1000. I see a lot of stupidity on facebook (mostly from people I went to high school with and never actually speak to anymore) but there are very few topics I care enough about to dignify with a response.

ETA: grammar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I did comment that condoms are birth control and provide protection from STIs so it wasn't a fair comparison. From the subsequent comments it is clear that no one (besides me) has actually looked up the list of tax free items on the government website and that they are getting the information from poorly researched blogs so I'm out. But I did chuckle and eye roll that the new comparison item they chose is not tax exempt.

Anniversary
  • Any political argument, no matter how well written and how much I agree with it, always makes the writer look like an ass on facebook. A personal facebook page is really not the place for lazy half assed 5 minutes of research activism. Don't contribute to it. Save your well written response for a nice online petition or blog. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Facebook arguments are a waste of time. I rarely will bother to comment on a FB post. Unfortunately such hot button posts are generally just fodder for the ignorant bawling their opinions on topics they have little to no real knowledge about.

Save your time and the irritation. Stupidity isn't worth risking ruining your mood for the morning / day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards