Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Gifts Arriving Early - When To Say 'Thank You'?

arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited February 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
We're already getting items from our registry sent to us (in shipping boxes, not sure if they're gift wrapped). What is the proper protocol in sending the 'Thank You' to the gift sender? We haven't even gotten our Thank You cards yet because I was planning on ordering them at the same time as the invitations (which won't be for another 4 or 5 months). I understand that gifts cannot be opened/used until after the wedding, and they will be stashed away until that time. Do I open the shipping boxes to find out who the gifts are from and send a 'Thank You' card immediately? The gift sender's name is not on the return label, only the company name.

Edited: for clarity.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registry Gifts Arriving Early - When To Say 'Thank You'?

• Send the thank you's immediately.

Also, there's nothing wrong with opening it to make sure it's not broken. And to make sure you thank your giver for the right gift.

Anniversary
  • You open it to make sure it's not broken/defective, and then you put it away until after the wedding.

Meanwhile, go to your nearest stationary store and pick up a nice box of generic thank you cards to send for gifts like this.  They'll tide you over until you order the other ones.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Definitely send the thank you card immediately.  Open the gift to make sure it isn't damaged, and then put it back in the box until after the wedding.  You send out thank you notes asap because it is polite, and it lets the person know you received it.  A verbal thank you is not enough.  The thank you must be written (for lurkers).  

• arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Thank you ladies! I will pick up some Thank You cards this weekend.

Also....the gift did come nicely wrapped with a tag stating who it is from. Should I still open it to make sure it isn't broken, or save it for the bridal shower later this summer?
    It would make sense to know they gave us so that I can address the item in the Thank You card if I were to send one out ASAP. My only other thought was to call them up and let them know we received the item, give them an initial Thank You on the phone, let them know we are saving it for the shower, and send a card later after the shower. Not sure which option is more etiquettely correct.

Edit: Dammit, I just got another box....It's all from the FI's side of the family!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thank you ladies! I will pick up some Thank You cards this weekend.

Also....the gift did come nicely wrapped with a tag stating who it is from. Should I still open it to make sure it isn't broken, or save it for the bridal shower later this summer?
    It would make sense to know they gave us so that I can address the item in the Thank You card if I were to send one out ASAP. My only other thought was to call them up and let them know we received the item, give them an initial Thank You on the phone, let them know we are saving it for the shower, and send a card later after the shower. Not sure which option is more etiquettely correct.

Edit: Dammit, I just got another box....It's all from the FI's side of the family!
    Open, check, and then send a written thank you immediately. 

• Copy that. Thank you!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards