Chit Chat

NWR: Car trouble

rcher912rcher912 member
5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited February 2015 in Chit Chat
So Friday night FI realized his car won't turn on/start. We figured that because I was working yesterday, and Fri/Sat were snowy and super cold (we're in PA), there was just no way we were going to do anything about it until today (and thank goodness, don't absolutely need the car this week).

We got out the jumper cables (which required a fair amount of car cleaning, which I suppose is an indirect benefit?) and...

Nothing. nada.

UGHHHHHHH. I really don't want car trouble right now! And FI would rather replace the battery himself before taking it to the shop so we don't have to pay for a tow.

I'm just angry. I hate cars.

Re: NWR: Car trouble

• Are you sure it's a dead battery?  I thought that's why you jump start cars......because the battery is dead.....if that didn't work, maybe it's something else?

** Note, I know barely anything about cars.
  • I'm with Joan. If the jump didn't work, it might not be the battery. Maybe the alternator? If the alternator is dead, jumping the battery won't work and the battery could be perfectly fine.
  • When you turn the key do the accessory lights turn on or is it completely dead? No lights = alternator. LIghts = battery. It could also be your starter.
  • Also, check with your insuance; you may have free towing for up to x miles. I used that last month when I needed a tow to the shop.
  • SBmini said: When you turn the key do the accessory lights turn on or is it completely dead? No lights = alternator. LIghts = battery. It could also be your starter. Interesting. There's just nothing. Anywhere. No lights, no sounds, literally nothing happens when you put the key in the ignition/turn it. It's kind of weird, but that said, my battery has never died before.

So do we think it's the alternator, then, @SBmini?

Thanks for the tips, ladies!! @Feeleytobe - I didn't even think about our insurance, but they do have roadside assistance for us. Will that cover a tow do we think? Them I can probably call today...
  • Based on the information you provided, I'd guess alternator or starter.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Did you try jumping it with a bigger battery? I know my bfs car won't boost mine because it's battery is too small/weak. 

I hope its just the battery, cars are expensive =( We are looking at replacing both of our cars soon, not fun.
  • You're literally getting nothing when you turn the key? No cranking, no clicking?

• @crackktheskyy Nothing. Not a sound, no clicking, no lights, no sounds of air coming in or going out of anywhere!

@teddygirl9 that could have something to do with it, although now I'm starting to wonder if the battery has anything to do with it at all. My car is much smaller.
    Based on the information you provided, I'd guess alternator or starter.
    ...are these things expensive? :/

Thanks for the input and ideas, everyone, it's so helpful to be able to vent and also get some good feedback sometimes. You guys are awesome.
  • Alternator is probably going to be $500+ plus possibly a new battery.
    Starter maybe $300-500 depending on how much they charge you for labor.

When was the last time you had a new battery?  Generally, a battery is going to last you about five years.  If it's been less than that, it's probably not "just the battery" unless you accidentally left your lights on or didn't close the door all the way so the interior lights were left on.  Also, are the terminals free of corrosion?  That could also be an issue.

Have you noticed any signs of the alternator starting to fail?  When the alternator finally fails, it drains power off the battery to run until finally it uses up what the battery has to offer and you're just stuck.  In the preceding weeks, have you noticed your interior lights or headlights dimmer than usual?  Any whining or growling noises under the hood?  If so, that could be a sign that it's the alternator.

If neither of those seem to be the culprit, then it's a good chance it's the starter/solenoid.
  • So turns out my insurance does offer roadside assistance (woo!), so a tow truck guy was able to come out tonight free of charge. 

He had an external battery with which to jump cars, and he jumped it and it worked! I guess we were doing it wrong?

I think we should still take it to the shop, though, just in case it is the alternator or something that will continue to pose a problem. Right?
  • Frequently, people hook up jumper cables in the wrong order, or attach to the wrong place.  Check your manual or find it online to make sure everything was hooked up right!  That, and the power that the tow truck guys have is WAY more than another car - so it's possible you just needed that extra boost....
  • edited February 2015

If you take the car to AutoZone or other auto parts places, they can test the battery and alternator, free of charge, to see if the battery and alternator are good or if they need replacement.  A couple months ago my battery died, we jumped it, it started, so I went to work. I drove around for about 45 minutes just to make sure battery would recharge before I stopped. When I went to go for lunch, it was dead again. So, I started thinking it was a bad alternator draining my battery.  A coworker told me to take it to AutoZone for testing, just to be sure, before going to repair shop. They tested battery and alternator. Turns out the battery was bad and wasn't able to hold the charge, so they replaced the battery right there. Alternator tested fine. They even did the install and everything for free. Saved me the $75 inspection free the repair shop would have charged to do the same thing.   And the battery was cheaper than what a repair shop would have charged for the part.

If the battery is good and just needs recharging, they will recharge it for free also. I know all AutoZone stores do the free testing, but I think the other auto part chains do also.

• just get a new battery. sounds like the battery was too low for just another battery to jump it. alternator would have lights coming on the dash on and off. if you havent seen that then just get a new battery. 
  • teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

Yay! I'd google how to properly boost your car, and make sure you were doing it properly (for next time). And, it could have still been a weak battery trying to boost a dead battery, which doesn't work well. It most likely isnt the alternator or starter if the truck was able to boost you, so I wouldn't worry about that. ETA- actually if you have a place like a PP said that will do it for free, may as well. I just wouldn't pay a shop to look at it.

Now, you can go get a new battery ($), or you can make sure to drive your car for ~30m twice a day. That is enough to keep it charged up (this is what my mechanic uncle recommended to me so I can save some money on this car). For me, this equates to work and back, and I make sure that I at least start it and let it run for 15m on the weekends if I'm not going anywhere. If it's cold where you are, this is even more important because the cold sucks life out of the battery. I'd never had problems with my car before, but we went away on a long weekend during a blizzard. So my '99 car wasn't driven for almost 5 days and it was -30C. My battery fails all the 'tests' they do during my oil changes, but I'm not going to spend another $100-$150 on a new battery for a car I'm only planning on keeping a few months. So far, it's worked well for me to just start it often. You have to weigh the cost of a new battery +install and see if that will work for you.

• i usually just go to auto parts store for a new battery and if your real nice they may put it in for you. also have a core, take in old battery and exchange it. 

i only went once for a battery to a dealership and that was only because they didnt have a battery that had the cold cranking power we wanted and that it was best we go to the dealer for it. i now work for said dealer so i get employee pricing and i save money there. 

the cheapest option is going to the parts store though.
  • ...I'd say avoid letting Auto Zone do the battery work. FI's car had to be jumped off last Monday (thankfully his car is tinier than mine so I managed to jump him just fine), and he went to them to get them to test it and they installed a new battery.

In the process, they broke off one of his car's permanent battery terminal post things. His car is currently sporting zip ties to keep the metal from grounding and shorting out his engine or starting a fire. It is stressing me out to an untold point, because if he were to have an accident those zip ties could come loose and cause an engine fire. I am absolutely terrified about it, and I'm seriously hoping he goes to get it fixed today so I can quit worrying. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • If you take the car to AutoZone or other auto parts places, they can test the battery and alternator, free of charge, to see if the battery and alternator are good or if they need replacement.  A couple months ago my battery died, we jumped it, it started, so I went to work. I drove around for about 45 minutes just to make sure battery would recharge before I stopped. When I went to go for lunch, it was dead again. So, I started thinking it was a bad alternator draining my battery.  A coworker told me to take it to AutoZone for testing, just to be sure, before going to repair shop. They tested battery and alternator. Turns out the battery was bad and wasn't able to hold the charge, so they replaced the battery right there. Alternator tested fine. They even did the install and everything for free. Saved me the $75 inspection free the repair shop would have charged to do the same thing.   And the battery was cheaper than what a repair shop would have charged for the part.

If the battery is good and just needs recharging, they will recharge it for free also. I know all AutoZone stores do the free testing, but I think the other auto part chains do also.

DH likes AutoZone for batteries for another reason- their warranties are pretty good. I'd give it a shot!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • VulgarGirlVulgarGirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Pulling and putting in a new battery is really not hard. Can you change the batteries in your remote? Yes? Ok you can do this. Well except these batteries are a lot heavier. It'd be a good idea to go get your battery tested now that you have the car up and running. 

Here is a youtube video on changing your own car battery.

• FI's car also had trouble starting this weekend (and sporadically for several months previous).  Now he's sick so I wanted to move his car, but he had always been available to do it, but I thought I needed the instructions, which had ripped off his jumper cables, so I used the ones I had in my car from an emergency kit.  Turns out they weren't thick enough cables to jump his battery.  My neighbor got it started for me, and I drove right to Advance Auto Parts for a new battery.

So maybe try different cables / have someone with a more powerful battery give it a try?

Advance also tests your alternator, and said FI's was fine, his battery was just bad.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• If you're looking at a new starter, do you drive a standard? You could push start it.
  • just go to part store and save yourself money. unless you go to the parts department instead of service for the battery. the guy at the Acura dealer i went to would have put it in for us but couldnt leave the parts counter (thats free) if we had gone to service they would have charged us for labor. but even going to the dealership my battery cost $99 but like i said in pp no parts store had a battery that had the cold cranking power we needed. usually my batterys i had to buy (i think my dad bought one in 2011 for my old civic it was like 70 or less) make sure you get yellow top because they last for a decent time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards