Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thanked the wrong person

I received a card in the mail that included a gift card. It was sent from Macy's via their online ordering system, so neither they nor I could figure out who it came from (there was no "item number" for Macy's to search from), except from the "With Love, Sue". We have 3 Sue's in the family between Fi and I, one being my mom so I know it wasn't her. Between the two other Sue's we figured it was one based off the wording of the card and my stepdad (her brother) confirmed it sounded like her.

Yesterday I mailed her a thank you card.
Last night my step dad told me they were talking and it wasn't from her.

I'm not that close to her that I have her number or just randomly call her. What to do?

imageimage

Re: Thanked the wrong person

• novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Whoops. Lol... First send the correct Sue a thank-you card (I know you know this)
    and then maybe just call the wrong Sue, even though you don't normally call. Or e-mail? Do you ever e-mail her? No big deal, you were just trying to be nice, so all you have to do is say, "Sorry for the confusion, the thank-you card was meant for a different Sue!" She'll probably just think it's funny. 

I can relate. There are 4 Toms on my mom's side of the family, and whenever I get a card from any of them it just says "from Tom" 

Between FI and I we also have a landlord, a brother-in-law, a boss, a co-worker, and a mom all named Chris. So FI will start saying "Oh guess what Chris told me?" And I'll say "Wait, specify a Chris." So much confusion! 

edited because I hit the wrong button! 
  • I did this. My Grandma called me after the wedding and said "ummm I think you sent me someone else's thank you card". I had put their card in her envelope and her thank you card in theirs. I just called the other person and explained what happened. We all laughed about me having "bride brain" and I sent her a new thank you card. It isn't a big deal. It happens.
  • I did this. My Grandma called me after the wedding and said "ummm I think you sent me someone else's thank you card". I had put their card in her envelope and her thank you card in theirs. I just called the other person and explained what happened. We all laughed about me having "bride brain" and I sent her a new thank you card. It isn't a big deal. It happens.
    I wish it was that easy!

I actually thanked the person it was addressed to for a gift they didn't give me (I hope my OP wasn't too confusing). Dear Aunt Sue, thanks for the gift card yadda yadda. I even said I hope her and her husband can come to the wedding. Oops.

imageimage

I wish it was that easy!

I actually thanked the person it was addressed to for a gift they didn't give me (I hope my OP wasn't too confusing). Dear Aunt Sue, thanks for the gift card yadda yadda. I even said I hope her and her husband can come to the wedding. Oops.
    I see what you're saying, but I think she'll still understand if you explain the mistake. A lot of names are repeated in my extended family so I totally get it and I think any other reasonable family member should as well :)
  • lol, I guess multiple thank yous are better than none :)

PPs covered it. But also, this is why I ALWAYS sign cards with mine and H's first and last names. Even if it is for someone I am super close with, I don't want them to get confused.
  • Just send a thank you to the correct Sue and explain the mistake to the one that received the thank you. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just send her a corrected thank you note with explanation and make sure to send the other person that actually gave you the gift a thank you note.  I'm sure she understands that mistakes can be made when you are sending our so many thank yous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And what if she didn't send me anything or attend the bridal shower and declined the wedding?

imageimage

• And what if she didn't send me anything or attend the bridal shower and declined the wedding?

If she did not send you a gift or show up to any wedding events then you do not need to send her a thank-you note.  If it was the one that you sent to her in error then you do not need to send her a corrected one as you have nothing you need to thank her for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

You don't need to make it sound like you're upset with her for not sending along a gift. Just drop her a line that says exactly what you said here. You got a gift that simply said from "Sue" so you took a guess and got the wrong Sue. This kind of thing happens a lot, especially with big events. She'll understand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards