Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invite co-workers?

My fiancé and I met at work 13 years ago. Obviously, many co-workers left for other hobs, but some are still there. Then I went to find a new job 7 years ago. We are friends with some co-workers. My question is: is it politically correct to invite only a few co-workers or should we invite everyone? On the other hand, could we invite everyone at the ceremony and only our closest friends/co-workers at the reception (both ceremony and reception are at the same venue)? I find both options could be right and wrong.... Plus, I do not want to offend anyone nor do I have the money to invite everyone either.... All your inputs will be so helpful! Thanks!!!

Re: Invite co-workers?

• Options

My fiancé and I met at work 13 years ago. Obviously, many co-workers left for other hobs, but some are still there. Then I went to find a new job 7 years ago. We are friends with some co-workers. My question is: is it politically correct to invite only a few co-workers or should we invite everyone? On the other hand, could we invite everyone at the ceremony and only our closest friends/co-workers at the reception (both ceremony and reception are at the same venue)? I find both options could be right and wrong.... Plus, I do not want to offend anyone nor do I have the money to invite everyone either.... All your inputs will be so helpful! Thanks!!!

I think it is fine to invite only some of your co-workers if those are the only ones you are close to (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you never talk to "Suzie" at work then she probably understands not getting an invite. I'm always afraid of hurting someone's feelings so I would say that if you decide to only invite a few, try to avoid talking wedding details with everyone at the office.

No, you may not invite people to the ceremony only. The whole point of the reception is to thank all your friends and family for joining you at your wedding. It's all or nothing. 

Hope this helps! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It really depends on how large your department is.  If you work with only, say 10 people, then inviting 8 out of the 10 could lead to hurt feelings (but inviting one or two out of those 10 is fine). But if you work with a ridiculous amount of people then inviting a handful or two is fine.  But no matter what, send those invitations to their homes.  Do not hand them out at work.

But IMO, if you don't hang out with your co-workers outside of work on a some what regular basis then I don't think that they really need to be invited to your wedding.

And no, you can't invite some to only the reception and others to both.  Talk about a great way to make for some major awkwardness and lots of gossiping about you and your rudeness at work.

• Options
    Think about how awful you'd feel if you were invited to a wedding, and then after the ceremony you were told to leave because you weren't important enough? While everyone else stuck around to party?

Tiered weddings are very, very rude. The reception is a thank-you to your guests for coming to watch you get married, so you must invite people to both the ceremony & reception, or nothing.
    --

• Options

When we were planning our guest list, I worked in an area that had three different offices (in three separate towns).  All of the offices worked together and backed each other up all the time (for the last few months I was there, my partner even worked out of one of the other offices).  When it came time to invite, however, I only invited the people who were based out of my own office, because they were the ones I would socialize with outside of work.

There's nothing wrong with only inviting the ones you're close to/the ones you see outside of work.  But as PPs said, the ones you do invite need to be invited to the whole thing.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards