Wedding Invitations & Paper

I'm probably overthinking this, but...

OK, SO.

While my wedding isn't super formal (getting married in a park, family style fried chicken for dinner, etc.), I am shooting for a classic elegance (I feel like a tool typing that!) in the decorations. Navy blue, gold, lots of ivory, lots of candle light. My BP is in long dresses, my dress is fairly formal.

BUT.

The invites I like are definitely pretty informal. 

I don't care, I like them, the match our colors, the stars make me happy, and best of all they are cheap as fuck. As a guest, if I received this invite I'd expect a fairly casual affair, I think. If you did, and dressed a little more on the casual side, would you feel awkward if the reception was fancier than the invite might indicate?

IDGAF what people wear, but I also don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Can I order my pretty star invites, or should I keep looking for something a little more formal?
Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I'm probably overthinking this, but...

• I don't see how the reception is fancier than that invitation indicates. You said it's in a park with fried chicken served family style. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't think super casual by that invite. I think you're totally fine. I say order away! 
  • You may be visualizing a fancier affair, but honestly your plans for your wedding read as casual to me.  As a guest, as soon as I see that your wedding is taking place in a park, then I would immediately think it was casual and dress accordingly.

• edited February 2015
    I think you're fine! I wouldn't think you were having a black-tie affair based off of those invitations, and you aren't. You're having a lovely reception in the park. I doubt your guests will feel any form of discomfort, they probably won't give it a second thought and just enjoy the celebration.  
  • Ceremony is in a park, the reception is in a banquet hall, if that matters. I don't think on outdoor ceremony is inherently casual, is it?

Family style broasted chicken is what, like, every wedding has in NE Wisconsin, so I don't think that would necessarily make people think the wedding is casual, either.

Either way, I like the invites, and the consensus seems to be that people won't feel uncomfortable either way. I'm going for it.

I'm 100 days out and starting to worry over stupid stuff, can you tell?

Thanks, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ceremony is in a park, the reception is in a banquet hall, if that matters. I don't think on outdoor ceremony is inherently casual, is it?

Family style broasted chicken is what, like, every wedding has in NE Wisconsin, so I don't think that would necessarily make people think the wedding is casual, either.

Either way, I like the invites, and the consensus seems to be that people won't feel uncomfortable either way. I'm going for it.

Thanks, ladies!
    So you are having roasted chicken not fried? And you never said that your reception was taking place in a banquet hall. All you said was that the wedding was taking place in a park and you were serving fried chicken family style.  Hence why it seemed like you were planning on causal wedding.

But even with the added information, yes, if I saw that a wedding ceremony was taking place in a park and then the reception was occurring in a typical banquet hall then I would dress on the more casual side (meaning a nice sun dress, not my black satin cocktail dress).

Thanks, ladies!
    So you are having roasted chicken not fried? And you never said that your reception was taking place in a banquet hall. All you said was that the wedding was taking place in a park and you were serving fried chicken family style.  Hence why it seemed like you were planning on causal wedding.

But even with the added information, yes, if I saw that a wedding ceremony was taking place in a park and then the reception was occurring in a typical banquet hall then I would dress on the more casual side (meaning a nice sun dress, not my black satin cocktail dress).
    Yeah, early morning Knotting apparently isn't my strong suit. Ceremony at a beautiful county park, reception in a banquet hall.

Broasted chicken is fried in a pressure cooker. I have know idea why it's different than fried chicken (of if it even is. I never heard of it until I moved out here. I feel like the skin is crunchier than regular fried chicken, but this it totally off topic and making me hungry. :) )

Like I said, I don't care what people are wearing. I just wanted to be sure that the invite wouldn't make them think that it's super casual, when it's more like a traditional level of formality?

Time for some more coffee.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I hope this isn't the wording you will be using.  It is too vague and very confusing.  I do like the design, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

I hope this isn't the wording you will be using.  It is too vague and very confusing.  I do like the design, though.

Oh god, no. "Join us for an enchanted evening of dining and dancing"? BARF.

Ours says something along the lines of "Cocktails at 5, Dinner at 6, Dancing to follow at [Banquet Hall, address].

Or is there other wording that is confusing?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The invitations match the formality of your event and I like them very much.

I would wear a maxi dress and wedge sandals, expecting that I might have to walk over grass for the ceremony. My husband would wear dress slacks, dress shirt, sports coat, might skip the tie. I would wear the same thing if the whole event was in the park. I wouldn't feel out of place if some of the other guests dressed in cocktail dresses because I'm taking my cue from your invitation.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

CMGragain said:

I hope this isn't the wording you will be using.  It is too vague and very confusing.  I do like the design, though.

Oh god, no. "Join us for an enchanted evening of dining and dancing"? BARF.

Ours says something along the lines of "Cocktails at 5, Dinner at 6, Dancing to follow at [Banquet Hall, address].

Or is there other wording that is confusing?
    You need a separate reception card.  It is impolite to describe the details of your reception.  Your reception card should read:

Reception

Five o'clock
    Banquet Hall Name
    Address
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain These are seal and send invites. They fold up and I slap a sticker on the back to hold them closed. There isn't an envelope or anything to put a reception card in. Is having the info on the invite impolite in a victimless way, like using labels? Or is this a super big deal like unhosted gap/no SOs? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thanks, ladies!

Yeah, early morning Knotting apparently isn't my strong suit. Ceremony at a beautiful county park, reception in a banquet hall.

Broasted chicken is fried in a pressure cooker. I have know idea why it's different than fried chicken (of if it even is. I never heard of it until I moved out here. I feel like the skin is crunchier than regular fried chicken, but this it totally off topic and making me hungry. :) )

Like I said, I don't care what people are wearing. I just wanted to be sure that the invite wouldn't make them think that it's super casual, when it's more like a traditional level of formality?

Time for some more coffee.

I now must try broasted chicken.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    l and send invitations are fine, but it makes no difference in your wording.  Most seal and send invitations have a place for reception information.

There are two reasons why describing you reception is impolite.

1.  It sounds like you are bragging about your reception.
    2.  It sounds like you are giving your guests the option to only attend a part of your reception.  This would be very rude, and it is impolite to assume that your guests are rude enough to do this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards