March 2015 Weddings

Wedding Planner

Is anyone hiring a wedding planner?

I wanted to in the begging because it was so overwhelming.  Now it seems like a breeze.

Re: Wedding Planner

• We're not! I didn't feel like it was a necessary expense and I don't think I could have let someone else do it all anyway! 

I was thinking about a day of coordinator for awhile but I don't think we're going to go for that either.
  • I already hired a DOC.

I can't even imagine doing it all by myself or asking my family or WP to do things for me.  It's not their place to be setting up the reception space or making calls to the florist who didn't deliver the correct flowers. I don't want to worry about it (hell, don't even want to know about it) nor do I want my family to either. 

When my sister got married, I planned the majority of it and was the MOH and unofficial DOC. I was working. Seriously working her wedding, telling people what to do and where to go. I hated it, and I think I got maybe 2 pictures with my sister outside of the ceremony. 

I refuse to do that to my family or friends. 

imageimage

• I'm the wedding planner LOL we had a long engagement so I was happy to take on the role of planning, with FI helping me. 

Our venue provides a DOC who has all our vendor information, and we give our vendors her information as well. The way we scheduled everything, FI and I have time the morning of to go down and make sure the reception space is set up, and do a little bit of the setting up our venue/vendors can't do. We have a late ceremony which granted us this time. None of our BP members are "required" to show up when we do this, we haven't even told them about it because we don't want anyone feeling obligated.

I don't think a planner is necessary but a DOC can be invaluable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Luckily our venue comes with a day-of coordinator so we don't have to worry about that, and we're planning ourselves. We've had a few stressful moments, but it's mostly about other people's expectations and not about the process itself - I don't think a wedding planner could talk my FMIL out of her concern about what kind of corsage was less of an "old lady thing" or my mom out of her worry over not having inner envelopes ...

@dolewhipper, I totally agree. Our guests are there to be guests and not employees. It's important that we feel we're hosting them properly, and part of that is not making them work! My best friend, who is planning a fall 2015 wedding, recently said something to me about my partner's role in her wedding - that he could "direct traffic" at their venue while I'm helping out as a member of the bridal party. I was actually a little upset ... while I'm sure he'd be willing to help out, I didn't like that she made the assumption we're all there to work!
  • taygete05 said:
    Luckily our venue comes with a day-of coordinator so we don't have to worry about that, and we're planning ourselves. We've had a few stressful moments, but it's mostly about other people's expectations and not about the process itself - I don't think a wedding planner could talk my FMIL out of her concern about what kind of corsage was less of an "old lady thing" or my mom out of her worry over not having inner envelopes ...

@dolewhipper, I totally agree. Our guests are there to be guests and not employees. It's important that we feel we're hosting them properly, and part of that is not making them work! My best friend, who is planning a fall 2015 wedding, recently said something to me about my partner's role in her wedding - that he could "direct traffic" at their venue while I'm helping out as a member of the bridal party. I was actually a little upset ... while I'm sure he'd be willing to help out, I didn't like that she made the assumption we're all there to work!
    I don't trust my venue's coordinator, thats why I hired my own. 

That sucks about your friend. Gracefully tell her he won't be available unfortunately and add, "you know, I had the best day of coordinator! She/He came with the venue but I bet they can tell you one you can hire. You should also check out the knot message boards, theyre so helpful with all the planning and suggestions!"

We will nip it in the bud. But stand your ground and don't become a brideslave!

imageimage

• We did! It was amazing. We aren't from Phoenix, so she helped a lot! We didn't need to go to 5 different cake tastings or look at google reviews all day because she gave us the best people. People that she's worked with and knew their work. I think that's a big reason for it! She has already said "you don't need me" lol because I'm doing most things myself BUT I just needed her guidance. She's been amazing! Also the day of coordinator at the venue was nice... but the planner is more our style and I think everyone will love working with her during rehearsal etc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards