Moms and Maids

Getting ready robes

Hello ladies! 

So I am paying for my maids (and mother) to have hair and makeup on the morning of the wedding. Everyone is traveling in from England. Needless to say it has been very expensive for them! We will all be getting ready together at the hotel where the reception is being held.  I want to buy robes for my maids for getting ready.  I am also going to buy little monogramed robes for my flower girl (niece) and ring bearer (son).....I am just wondering if I should include my mother in this? Do I need to get her a matching robe?

Also, is it traditional to buy MIL something too? 

Thanks for any opinions!
Amy

Re: Getting ready robes

• ledoog said:
    Hello ladies! 

So I am paying for my maids (and mother) to have hair and makeup on the morning of the wedding. Everyone is traveling in from England. Needless to say it has been very expensive for them! We will all be getting ready together at the hotel where the reception is being held.  I want to buy robes for my maids for getting ready.  I am also going to buy little monogramed robes for my flower girl (niece) and ring bearer (son).....I am just wondering if I should include my mother in this? Do I need to get her a matching robe?

Also, is it traditional to buy MIL something too? 

Thanks for any opinions!
    Amy
    Unless you know that they would LOVE THE ROBES, Skip it.

And generally people who love robes have them already. I would give gifts like you were getting them something for their birthday. And I'd get your FG and RB a toy they'd like. 

Anniversary
  • Skip the robes and use them money for a nice breakfast/brunch spread to dig into while you are all getting ready.

• Ditto PPs.  If you do decide to get them robes though, stay away from monogramming them or branding them with "#Bridesmaid" or anything like that.  Breakfast is a much better option here. 

• Yes, skip the robes.  I love MY robe, but I was very choosy in picking it out.  Save your money and use it for something else, the breakfast is a great idea!
  • I am copying and pasting my response from when someone else asked about robes vs oversized shirts:

Unpopular Opinion here...

I think this a know your crowd thing, and on TK it's a big no. But I personally would like a robe (as long as it was plain and didn't say Bridesmaid or something). I would wear a robe again, I would never where an oversize button down shirt again.

It's also a know your crowd kind of thing on comfort and modesty. Many people wouldn't feel comfortable wearing just a robe around other people or being photographed in one. Again personally that wouldn't phase me in the least. Robes cover more then many cocktail dresses!

As PPs have stated this shouldn't be a part of their gift unless you know for a fact that each girl just LOVES robes... which is unlikely...

To answer your question about the moms. This is still a know your crowd thing. Would your mom want one? Would she feel left out being the only one that didn't have one? We can't answer that as we don't know her. BUT has many PPs have said MOST people wouldn't want one....

Anniversary
  • I think that even if all your maids love the robe idea, they'll love it even more if you spend the money you would spend on robes on a nice breakfast for them instead.

And I cannot imagine any flower girl and ring bearer wanting a monogrammed robe as a gift.  If there's anything kids that age don't like to receive as gifts, it's usually clothing at all, let alone with monograms.

• Jen4948 said:

I think that even if all your maids love the robe idea, they'll love it even more if you spend the money you would spend on robes on a nice breakfast for them instead.

And I cannot imagine any flower girl and ring bearer wanting a monogrammed robe as a gift.  If there's anything kids that age don't like to receive as gifts, it's usually clothing at all, let alone with monograms.

Unless it was like a robe with Elsa and Anna on it or a Transformers/Ninja Turtle themed robe.

• I personally would not want to wear a robe while getting ready. I don't wear robes, even at home, getting out of the shower, when it's cold, etc.

They just aren't comfortable to me. They're too stifling if you have to actually move around and stuff. And if the room is decently climate controlled, I would be sweating in a matter of minutes.

Anniversary

• I wear a robe every day. Love love love my big terrycloth robe for when I get out of the shower. And then I put something else on to get ready in b/c I don't like the way the robe feels or moves while getting ready. I would not get ready in a robe. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • FWIW - I was in two different weddings where we were given cute silk-type robes to get ready in, and two poor girls flashed all of us (and the camera-person) because sometimes, those damn silk ones don't stay in place and move all around.  Also, they are a bitch to sit on the floor in as there is no elegant way to do it.  So unless there is enough chair seating for everyone while getting ready, beware. 

• Jen4948 said:

I think that even if all your maids love the robe idea, they'll love it even more if you spend the money you would spend on robes on a nice breakfast for them instead.

Unless it was like a robe with Elsa and Anna on it or a Transformers/Ninja Turtle themed robe.

Wouldn't they prefer a T-shirt for those?
  • Jen4948 said:

Jen4948 said:

Wouldn't they prefer a T-shirt for those?

Eh, probably.  I was just trying to think of something that would be on a robe where a little kid may be somewhat excited about getting a robe.  Because really no kid wants a robe but they may be a bit more "yay" about it if Elsa was on it.

• Jen4948 said:

Late to the party but couldn't help but comment.

My brother got a new robe for Christmas in 2013 from his fiance; he gave her one last year for Christmas a few weeks early because he felt guilty wearing his nice soft robe when her's was really ratty and nasty. 

My niece started crying because she wanted a new robe too to "fit in" (she's 3) so they gave her a Frozen one for Christmas and she refused to take it off all day.  I have a picture of her in a new play tent she got and she's in that damn robe.

I hate Disney crap and refuse to buy it, but PP is right, kids will likely wear clothing / robe if it's a cartoon-y thing they like.

• Jen4948 said:

Late to the party but couldn't help but comment.

My brother got a new robe for Christmas in 2013 from his fiance; he gave her one last year for Christmas a few weeks early because he felt guilty wearing his nice soft robe when her's was really ratty and nasty. 

My niece started crying because she wanted a new robe too to "fit in" (she's 3) so they gave her a Frozen one for Christmas and she refused to take it off all day.  I have a picture of her in a new play tent she got and she's in that damn robe.

I hate Disney crap and refuse to buy it, but PP is right, kids will likely wear clothing / robe if it's a cartoon-y thing they like.

My nephew loves his Thomas the Tank Robe. He's 2.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards