New Jersey

Free Trials

Has anyone worked with hair and makeup artists who provide free trials? I had a makeup trial today and wasn't crazy about the end result so I won't be booking this particular person - and it cost me $90 ($75 plus tip). I'd really prefer to not keep paying that much each time but want to make sure I like the artists work. I haven't reached out to any hair people yet but have some feelers out on MUA's.

Just curious if there's a secret somewhere I don't know about. 

Re: Free Trials

• love0208love0208 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    I was in the same predicament....I am not familiar with anyone doing free trials .....  I don't know if this even helps, but I went to one trial and that was only because based on her work, I knew for certain I was going to book her. She is a traveling MUA...I am african-american however, she does work with all skin tones...When I came for my trial she just got finish doing a photo shoot....if you want her info let me know :) But believe it or not I found her on instagram....I just put in different searches such as njmua, nymua, etc...It's a great way to get a good feel on their work because it is nothing but pics :)

I never tried it but maybe try some bridal expo's and see if you can get some free work at those??  I never stopped at those booths but I do see quite a bit of them doing make up on brides to be, I don't know if they charge or not.....

Good luck!
  • Never heard of a MUA doing free trials.  If that were the case, people would get one before any big event they had to attend.  I know how you feel though.....my first MUA was a bust and I had to find someone new.  Waste of the first trial fee and still had to pay for another.  In the end though, it was worth it.....peace of mind is priceless.
  • Have you considered trying the makeup counters at the mall? Many of them freelance on the side, and are fine with doing a trial for you right at the counter. You may have to make a small purchase (like your lipstick/lip gloss or pressed powder), but that is stuff you'd want with you to freshen up through the day anyway. I haven't freelanced since I left retail for the corporate world nearly a decade ago, but I know I was one of very few MUAs in my area who didn't charge for trials.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• that's a really good suggestion, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards