Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

back of the dress decision! zip vs tie. pics!

Admittedly this seems really trivial and I've probably spent FAR too long going back and forth, but I cannot determine button-up (which is really zip up) or corset tie-up for the back of my lace dress.

I've tried on both styles and see the pros and cons to both-
-ties have more flexibility with sizing and that translates to less alterations. con is that I have no idea if this will look weird with a belt or basically how any of the ribbons work (do they tuck in? tie in a bow? what looks right with a belt?)
-but I also really love the vintage look of buttons in the back and the ease of a zipper. con is that it has a slightly higher back and has little give once altered. 

I also wanted to use a button from my dad's military uniform in my dress but could easily add that to the bustle if the back didn't include buttons. 

Here are pics of both styles, I really love both so opinions please!!! 

Re: back of the dress decision! zip vs tie. pics!

• Options
    I personally prefer a button covered zipper.  I find that when you add a sash or belt to a corseted back dress it just looks odd in the back.  Like it is obvious that you added something, while with a button covered zipper dress you can have the sash/belt attached to your dress to make it look like it was always a part of it, rather then something being added.

As for a corset and what you do with the ribbons.  Your consultant/seamstress should be able to show you, but you will want to tie the ribbons into a tight knot and then you shove the ribbons into the bottom of the "V" that the corset makes.  In the picture you have posted the corset is tied wrong.  The knot and extra ribbon should be at the bottom, not the top.

• Options
    I don't mean to offend anyone but it's just my personal opinion that corset backs are ugly and trashy and remind me of prom dresses. I don't find it elegant I'm sorry!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I don't mean to offend anyone but it's just my personal opinion that corset backs are ugly and trashy and remind me of prom dresses. I don't find it elegant I'm sorry!

I only think this of corset backs when the wearer decides to forgo the panel.  At that point it is just getting too close to looking like lingerie.

• Options
    I agree that a belt/sash would look better with the button covered zipper and is cool way to incorporate your dad's button, maybe make it the top button?
  • Options
    Alternative for using a sash with a corset back. I added a sash to mine and instead of tying the sash on at all, the seamstress is stitching the sash on to the dress and cutting the excess ribbon at the seam where the corset begins, that way the effect of the corset isn't lost and you have a smooth look. The consultant who worked with me suggested it and it sounded like a perfect way to get both. I'll get to see how it turned out this Saturday.

While I didn't have strong feelings about the back either way, the flexibility the corset afforded me means I'm saving money on alterations as the top doesn't need to be taken in. 
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

One of my friends had a corseted back wedding dress and she wore a jeweled belt with it that tied in the back. It actually looked fine! Lots of people suggest trimming the sash of the belt and having it sewn permanently on, but it still looked beautiful the way she did it.

I personally prefer button covered zippered backs over a corset but I think it's just a personal preference thing. I don't think getting a corseted gown would've saved me a TON in alterations costs to be honest. The bust of my dress was still too large and a corset wouldn't have fixed it (at least not in a way that it would've looked "right").

• Options
    i had a corset back you start at the top lacing it and then tie at the bottom and tight and then stick inside the v on the bottom to hide the ribbon. even with the corset i still had to have the top taken in three times. i am plus size but i  am a 42 b cup and not busty and that was the issue they were having with the top... 

corsets look good if done right i have seen some dresses with out the panel in the back you need that it smooths out the corset it hides your skin and looks good and not trashy.

with the zip up you have no room for errors once the final alterations is done its done and if some weight gain or something shifts in your body and the zipper wont zip up day off you have
     issues 

talk to the seemstress to see what they say about the belt and the corset they will give you an honest opinion on what will look good 
  • Options

Alternative for using a sash with a corset back. I added a sash to mine and instead of tying the sash on at all, the seamstress is stitching the sash on to the dress and cutting the excess ribbon at the seam where the corset begins, that way the effect of the corset isn't lost and you have a smooth look. The consultant who worked with me suggested it and it sounded like a perfect way to get both. I'll get to see how it turned out this Saturday.

While I didn't have strong feelings about the back either way, the flexibility the corset afforded me means I'm saving money on alterations as the top doesn't need to be taken in. 
    @Butterflyz419- kind of confused what you mean about the ribbon? Do you have any pics of yours (maybe after today) or online? It sounds cool but visualizing it would be amazing! 

Thanks everyone! So much to think about and I'm probably no closer to deciding since everyone has great points haha However I did find a new dress on preowned that is a corset back and about $500 cheaper than the button down online that I went to try on and loved. That may steer me towards the corset... 
  • Options
    Hi @Kate71421. Just got back from my fitting and it turned out great! Originally once the jeweled part ended, it was just a ribbon that tied, she cut that excess ribbon off. It worked perfectly since the jeweled section naturally lined up with those seams.

Hopefully my picture attachment works.
  • Options
    @ Butterflyz419 it worked and it's so gorgeous, you should be ecstatic!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
  • Options
    I'm confused. You mention the pros and cons of each STYLE, not each DRESS... are you choosing between two specific dresses, or trying to nail down a back style before you've even found the dress? If the latter, I think you're going about this backward. Choose the dress you love based on the front, not the back! If you choose something with a button back, you may be able to convert it to a corset if you decide you like that look better for that specific dress. 

If you are choosing between two specific dresses, let us see the fronts! 

• Options
    @lolo883- found the dress but it comes with two options for the back. Both pics in the first image are of the same dress with both options. I know the back isn't THAT important (which is why I admitted I have spent far too long over-analyzing this!), but it is something I was asked and never thought of. Plus I mentioned in a post a little further down I found the dress I'm interested in, but preowned, with a corset back for about $500 cheaper but have been leaning toward button-back. Wondering if that cost offsets the vision of my dream dress! 
    Seeing how others did it though (even if its a different design) can help inspire some directions I may not have considered or sway me into thinking the corset back can incorporate what I wanted to with the belt/button. 

• Options
    Kate71421 said:

@lolo883- found the dress but it comes with two options for the back. Both pics in the first image are of the same dress with both options. I know the back isn't THAT important (which is why I admitted I have spent far too long over-analyzing this!), but it is something I was asked and never thought of. Plus I mentioned in a post a little further down I found the dress I'm interested in, but preowned, with a corset back for about $500 cheaper but have been leaning toward button-back. Wondering if that cost offsets the vision of my dream dress! 

Seeing how others did it though (even if its a different design) can help inspire some directions I may not have considered or sway me into thinking the corset back can incorporate what I wanted to with the belt/button. 

Ahaaaa, ok thanks this makes more sense. :) I prefer the button back. 

• Options
    Kate71421 said:

@ Butterflyz419 it worked and it's so gorgeous, you should be ecstatic!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

No problem and Thank you! I'm thrilled it really came out perfectly!
  • Options
    minttobemrsbminttobemrsb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    Kate71421 said:

Admittedly this seems really trivial and I've probably spent FAR too long going back and forth, but I cannot determine button-up (which is really zip up) or corset tie-up for the back of my lace dress.

I've tried on both styles and see the pros and cons to both-
    -ties have more flexibility with sizing and that translates to less alterations. con is that I have no idea if this will look weird with a belt or basically how any of the ribbons work (do they tuck in? tie in a bow? what looks right with a belt?)
    -but I also really love the vintage look of buttons in the back and the ease of a zipper. con is that it has a slightly higher back and has little give once altered. 

I also wanted to use a button from my dad's military uniform in my dress but could easily add that to the bustle if the back didn't include buttons. 

Here are pics of both styles, I really love both so opinions please!!! 
    I'm late to this, but I saw someone mentioned having the belt sewn on the dress so that you don't have to tie it. I'll try to attach a picture since that's sort of how mine is too. Very similar to @Butterflyz419 dress :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Guess it would help if I hit upload on the picture... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The (wonderful) woman at my dress shop told me that corset backs can become loosened throughout the night, whereas the zip back is rigid. The corset back cost more so I trust that she wasn't trying to up-sell me. Even though I love the look of the tie-up, I went with the zipper and was very happy.

Anniversary

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I actually liked having a zip-back dress because even though it meant I REALLY had to fit in the dress, it also meant that it didn't loosen up during the night ... which meant that my strapless dress never needed to be pulled up.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Every time I skim over the title of this post, I think "OMG she's using zip-ties on her dress."

• Options
    @lol883

I google "zip tie wedding dress" and this popped up...

The skirt was apparently made with over 13,000 small cable ties

• Options
    What do you plan to do for a bra? If you plan to have cups put into you dress or can find a low back strapless bra, then the corset style would be ok. For me personally, I didn't want to spend the money for that type of bra for one single day and I didn't feel secure doing sewn in cups (G cup), I wanted to be able to wear my regular strapless bra that I knew would support me & hold up all day, so I needed a dress where the back was high enough to do that.
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I had a corset so I am partial to that.  I felt it fit better, since it was tied to fit my body.  The string gets tucks in at the bottom. I also had cups sewn in and the corset gave me plenty of support.   I had a belt that tied right over the corset.   I have no closeups on this computer, attached is how the back looked with the corset and belt over it
  • Options
    Kate71421Kate71421 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2015
    @lol883 @Maggie0829
    thanks that's all I see now too haha and ohmygoshhh of course someone did that hahaha hideous. i mean, unless that's your vision...

Okay so despite being torn between the two, I finally got the dress last night! I decided the button memento meant too much to me to choose otherwise and while the corset back was nice, the sentiment of the buttons weighed a little heavier. Thanks SO much for all the advice! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards