Honeymoon Discussions

honeymoon mediterranean cruise

Has anyone gone on, or got info on a mediterranean cruise? Specifically Italy! We are getting married 11-7-15 so it would be mid November!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Re: honeymoon mediterranean cruise

• majesty318majesty318 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2015
    We did a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity as part of our HM last summer. It left from Venice and went to Croatia, Turkey, & Greece. It was AMAZING! Obviously it was a different season than yours but I would be happy to answer any questions you have.
  • We went on a Mediterranean cruise through Cunard on the QE2. It was amazing. We had such a great time. The food was fantastic. It was a 10 day cruise and we stopped in Lisbon, Gibraltar, Barcelona, Cartagena, Marseille, Monacao, Livorno and Rome. 

Instead of booking excursions through Cunard, we did Tours By Locals for most stops. Best money we spent. The tour guide picked us up in a car, and took us to all the sights we wanted to see. IMO, much better than sitting on a bus all day or trying to navigate everything yourself. 
  • I've been to that area but not on a cruise. I just wanted to add that @climbingwife has a great suggestion. We used Tours By Locals in Asia and it was perfect having a local just drive you around for the day.

• Just a head's up that the port closest to Rome is over an hour and half from the city itself.  Frankly, because of this, it wouldn't be a place I'd cruise in and out of.
  • edited March 2015
    I can see how a cruise would be fun if you've never been to Europe, but I can tell you from living in Italy for about a year and a half, I would meet people in line for various things (like the Vatican museum) and feel so badly that they were only in Rome for 6 hours, when there are about 2 weeks worth of sites to see.  Just my opinion, but I would NOT cruise through Europe.  I would choose maybe three places to go and stay at each place for a few days. FYI, Italy is super easy to get around on train, especially if you are planning on going to major cities.  
  • Well, we only flew out of Rome. It didn't take that long to get to the airport. Personally, a cruise to Europe was perfect for us. We got to experience counties we'd hadn't been to before, and it helped us decide where we'd like to visit again. Case in point - we went back to Italy for our honeymoon. 

And again, the tours by locals thing was perfect. We saw a ton of stuff in Barcelona and Florence. When we docked in Monaco, we went to Cannes, Saint Paul de Vence and Monte Carlo. 
  • I cruise a lot and also like to go on "land" vacations - just depends what works at the time. For instance, we did a week in Sicily & Venice before boarding the cruise I mentioned above, so this was a combination trip. All the ports we hit were right in the city; we didn't have to take buses or anything to sightsee. I don't know that I would do one in Europe which hit cities only far from the ports, but if that's perhaps the easiest/ cheapest/ best way for you to get to that city at that time, then why not?

Cruises are easier to plan, IMO, and you get a taste of a bunch of places. I agree with @climbingwife that you get the benefit of seeing several new places and decide which ones you want to return to later.
  • I can see how a cruise would be fun if you've never been to Europe, but I can tell you from living in Italy for about a year and a half, I would meet people in line for various things (like the Vatican museum) and feel so badly that they were only in Rome for 6 hours, when there are about 2 weeks worth of sites to see.  Just my opinion, but I would NOT cruise through Europe.  I would choose maybe three places to go and stay at each place for a few days. FYI, Italy is super easy to get around on train, especially if you are planning on going to major cities.  

I agree, I like to be land based for most European cities.  I think excursions are generally much more expensive than an ocean cruise, and that definitely needs to be factored into the budget when looking at a European cruise.

That said, I've done a river cruise through Europe.  Most ports are truly walk off and you're in town.  Excursions are included.  Even then, I wish I had more time in some cities/towns.  But it was a much different feel.
  • We did the Eastern Med, which started in Italy.  There is a ton to see in Italy, so check your destinations carefully.  We also saw Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt which was awesome by boat as DH and I weren't comfortable just going on our own in a couple elf those countries.  Having the tour with the boat made it feel safer than just backpacking (Egypt had just had their revolt the previous year for example).  

What help are you wanting with this??  What questions do you have about your trip??

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards