Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Charger plates and Community Center Venues. Imaginative Ideas Welcome!

edited February 2015 in Budget Weddings Forum
I want Gold charger plates at my wedding. The plastic version is fine.  Do any of you have a place to find them for a reasonable price? Used is acceptable.

Also, Have any of you or do any of you plan on using a community center as your wedding venue? I like the idea of having my wedding there because I can use any caterer I want and buy my own alcohol but as far as decoration goes I'm completely on my own.  Ideas on how to work with a blank slate without defeating the purpose of going with a "packaged" wedding already?

As I said Imaginative Ideas Welcome.

Yes, I've got a pinterest going and yes i've done the research. I know some of you ladies are pros so I'd still like to hear what ideas you have.  
If it helps I have well over a year to DIY if need be :)

Re: Charger plates and Community Center Venues. Imaginative Ideas Welcome!

• Options

Before you start buying and making any decorations that may need to be hung up. Check with your venue regarding any rules about how you may or may not attach decorations to walls/ceilings. Some places will allow anything, others will only allow tape, others may not allow anything. Hate to see you spend money and have beautiful decorations but not be able to hang them up. If they say no nails or hooks, ask them if command strip hooks are ok, they come in clear so they would not be noticable but they hold up very well.

• Options
    I found someone on Craigslist to rent me chargers for $0.40 a piece. Very affordable way to add color to my table! Otherwise if you check Michael's regularly they go on sale for $1 and you can use a 20% off coupon. (If you sign up with your email you get a 20% off your purchase coupon--I do this with fake emails when I need to)
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I have no personal experience with them, but I've seen http://www.smartyhadaparty.com/ mentioned on the forums as being awesome! 
  • Options
    The only place I've consistently seen charger plates for $1 is Dollar Tree (other pp's are right, Michael's sometimes has sales) and plus shipping and tax you are closer to $1.50 a plate. The charger plates at Dollar Tree are currently on back order in gold, I know because I ordered some recently. 

I will say this though -- nail down the venue before you worry too much about decorations, and wait to order stuff like charger plates until you have all other important things accounted for. I consider charger plates a bit of a luxury item -- it doesn't add to my guest's comfort but it makes the table pretty. I finally decided I was willing to spend that $1.50 per guest for the plates but I made sure we wouldn't be skimping on drinks and food because of that. 
  • Options
    I had to google charger plates. I thought you all were talking about the football team, haha.
  • Options
    IMHO, charger plates are completely unnecessary.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If you have a completely blank slate for your wedding, then something that stands around the sides of the room could add a lot of color (freestanding items also eliminate the worry of having to hang things which might not be allowed).

Look at instructions for colorful backdrops to use during your ceremony like streamers or collages and make a few to place around your room.

This is a bridal shower, not my wedding, but I made these 6 foot poppies from bamboo and tissue paper and they were a huge hit. All the materials came from the hardware store or the dollar store so 30 of these cost me less than $40 including the cement to keep them standing.
  • Options
    My caterer had chargers in a variety of colors.  Ask your caterer.  It was cheaper than buying them, and I didn't have to deal with picking them up after reception, cleaning them, boxing them, etc.  Totally worth it to me to rent.

Not convinced?  $1 each to buy here, but has to be in quantities of 24.  http://www.dollartree.com/Gold-Plastic-Chargers-with-Beaded-Rims-13-/p341718/index.pro
  • Options

I want Gold charger plates at my wedding. The plastic version is fine.  Do any of you have a place to find them for a reasonable price? Used is acceptable.

Also, Have any of you or do any of you plan on using a community center as your wedding venue? I like the idea of having my wedding there because I can use any caterer I want and buy my own alcohol but as far as decoration goes I'm completely on my own.  Ideas on how to work with a blank slate without defeating the purpose of going with a "packaged" wedding already?

As I said Imaginative Ideas Welcome.

Yes, I've got a pinterest going and yes i've done the research. I know some of you ladies are pros so I'd still like to hear what ideas you have.  
    If it helps I have well over a year to DIY if need be :)
    I'm not sure where you are or what your overall budget is, but keep in mind that community centers are not the only venues that allow you to bring your own caterer and alcohol (if that's the only reason you're looking at community centers). FI and I found an awesome venue that allows outside food and alcohol, but all decorations (including vases and other centerpiece accessories, silk flowers if we want, and a bunch of other stuff) are included. We could potentially bring zero decorations with us, but I am a DIY type and will be making my own decorations.

I agree with PPs though - nail down the venue before you even start on decorations, since different venues will have different rules about whether you can put holes in the walls, use drapes on the walls (fire hazard), etc. 

Also, I don't understand the point of charger plates unless you are having a really formal wedding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can check a blog called Ruffled. They have used wedding items for sale including chargers! It's under a tab called "Recycle your wedding".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards