Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Dances dilemma

Hey Knotties! 

Could use some help on this! The Fiance and I aren't huge fans of the slow romantic first dances, more in the mood to get the party going with our guests. However, MOG and the FOB both want to dance with us so we need to figure something out. They would be disappointed if we didn't dance with them. So we don't want to do a full song for the bride and groom, daddy daughter, and mom son dances we thought we could have shorter dances and have the DJ mix something. I know it's tradition do full sweet slow songs and have that moment. I don't feel like doing the tradition for traditions sake but if it's important I'm not against it. 

Would it make sense to do this order:
First Dance 1 or 2 minutes - then transition to my dad asking me to dance and Groom asking his to dance? Then do one song for the parent dances simultaneously? Fiance likes this idea since he does not enjoy the spotlight, but MOG may not want to share the moment. Does anyone have a similar situation or creative way to make a new tradition?

Re: Dances dilemma

• Options

We did this (more or less).  Our first dance was actually me dancing with my dad and J dancing with his mom, at the same time.  Then, J and I danced together.  We danced to the full songs, but there's nothing wrong with having the DJ fade them out after a minute or so.

If MOG doesn't want to 'share the moment', MOG should focus on the fact that she's dancing with her son, and not pay attention to what else is happening.  The moment is between herself and her son.  Two of my favourite pictures from our wedding is my dad and I dancing cheek to cheek, and MIL dancing with her head on J's chest.  This happened simultaneously, but I had no idea until we saw the pictures.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    We're very similar in the 'I dont want people staring at me while we sway on the spot for a few minutes' so we chose a longer first dance song and we are going to have my dad and FI's mom cut in half way through

That way we get all the dances in, but they are all done with 1 song. Everyone wins.
  • Options
    We did that. I danced with my dad while my husband danced with his mom. We also did this dance later during the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards